Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 02-08-2009, 08:02 PM   #11
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Oh...and this completely justifies the PRE RIDE CHECK. Make sure your shit is proper before you go ripping out of the driveway.
I was rolling off throttle at 10 mph, and pulling straight across the street into the parking lot. Hardly ripping out of the driveway.....

This was my first ride on my motorcycle, i was feeling stuff out. For something like this.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold

Last edited by Porkchop; 02-08-2009 at 08:18 PM..
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:14 PM   #12
Porkchop
125GP Champion

The brake fluid resivoir mount is messed up. Its kinda leaning at a 40 degree angle.... which i would fucking fix if i had a damn day off. And i wont for like 11 more days. Would that do anything?
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Old 02-09-2009, 12:37 AM   #13
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
The brake fluid resivoir mount is messed up. Its kinda leaning at a 40 degree angle.... which i would fucking fix if i had a damn day off. And i wont for like 11 more days. Would that do anything?
It might but the only sure fire way of avoiding any future trouble is to clean out the entire system with new fluid and no air in the system. Might as well check the pads too.

Especially if you bought this bike and haven't gone over these things, it would be a very wise idea.

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:03 AM   #14
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBiker View Post
to me, it sounds like condensation has accumulated in the brake fluid, frozen, and thawed, putting a TON of air in there, only fix is gonna be to pull calipers, drain every bit of fluid, refill, and bleed. its also a good time to get new brake pads and clean your brake caliper pistons as you should do every now and again anyhow. if that doesnt fix it, your master cylinder may need some love.
I'm with bob... sounds like condensation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Oh...and this completely justifies the PRE RIDE CHECK. Make sure your shit is proper before you go ripping out of the driveway.
EXACTLY

Quote:
I was rolling off throttle at 10 mph, and pulling straight across the street into the parking lot. Hardly ripping out of the driveway.....

This was my first ride on my motorcycle, i was feeling stuff out. For something like this.
Don't think Marko was accusing you of that... just his way of saying before you roll out of the driveway... in his own words
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:09 AM   #15
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick281 View Post
It might but the only sure fire way of avoiding any future trouble is to clean out the entire system with new fluid and no air in the system. Might as well check the pads too.

Especially if you bought this bike and haven't gone over these things, it would be a very wise idea.
Oh hell yea. Like i said, when i finally get a warm day that i have no work or school i'm tearing that fucker apart. On my to do list....

-Fairings competely torn off
-Take apart brakes, new fluid, and a new mounting bracket for the resivoir
-Oil and filter
-Raplace all fairing screws.... this guy lost about half of the fucking fairing screws.
-Low beam bulb is dead
-Maybe a new battery. It was just dead the other day from sitting all winter tho.

Wrench time baby!!!!
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Old 02-09-2009, 01:13 AM   #16
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Seems like a pretty good main list.

Don't forget chain maintenance and coolant. Always good things to get done so you know that they were done correctly.

Oh and I would easily give up a lifetime of bars for many perfect days wrenching on stuff. Might be more expensive and rarely gets you laid, but I enjoy it much more then partying.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:17 AM   #17
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

remember to clean and lube your chain also... check to see if it needs replaced... Personally... if it's really dirty... I'd just replace it and start fresh... but that's easy to say when it's not my money

run a can of sea foam through it... just to be sure your injectors are clean...ish. it's cheap and easy... and best of all... WORKS.

check your coolant...

and check your brake lines... make sure they're not cracked or rotted(if they're the stock rubber ones)

Quote:
Seems like a pretty good main list.

Don't forget chain maintenance and coolant. Always good things to get done so you know that they were done correctly.

Oh and I would easily give up a lifetime of bars for many perfect days wrenching on stuff. Might be more expensive and rarely gets you laid, but I enjoy it much more then partying.
beat me too it...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:08 AM   #18
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
remember to clean and lube your chain also... check to see if it needs replaced... Personally... if it's really dirty... I'd just replace it and start fresh... but that's easy to say when it's not my money

run a can of sea foam through it... just to be sure your injectors are clean...ish. it's cheap and easy... and best of all... WORKS.

check your coolant...

and check your brake lines... make sure they're not cracked or rotted(if they're the stock rubber ones)

Damn you guys were on the same trane of thought on those posts!

-The chain seems really clean. Maybe some good lube tho?
-Coolant levels were ok.
-My baby is carbed not injected... seafoam anyway?
-Brake lines will be looked at along with pads.

Oh and Quick, im only 20 so bars are usually out of the question. Plus i'd rather spend money on the bike than overpriced alcohol anyway. And im not getting much poon anyway, so maybe the bike will help?
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold

Last edited by Porkchop; 02-09-2009 at 03:11 AM..
Old 02-09-2009, 04:42 AM   #19
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Quote:
Damn you guys were on the same trane of thought on those posts!

-The chain seems really clean. Maybe some good lube tho?
-Coolant levels were ok.
-My baby is carbed not injected... seafoam anyway?
-Brake lines will be looked at along with pads.

Oh and Quick, im only 20 so bars are usually out of the question. Plus i'd rather spend money on the bike than overpriced alcohol anyway. And im not getting much poon anyway, so maybe the bike will help?

Ah, I am 24 and it seems like just yesterday I was 21 and learned the joys of drinking life's problems away at a bar. None the less, it was socially cool and I blew a shit ton of money that could have had me on a bike much earlier.

Bikes help with poon and attention. Half of riding a bike in public is being able to ignore those callings. I took my rear pegs off and kept my cowl on just so I could turn down people for rides all the time. Didn't feel like being responsible for their life and I wasn't into the chicks that woulda put out for a bike.

Sorta regret passing those moments up, but at least I am disease free.

Cleaning the chain isn't that big of a deal and if you follow recommended maintenance I would assume it is a rather frequent process. I think my Gix is supposed to have it done every 600 miles or something like that.

None the less, wouldn't hurt to get some kerosene and some good lube just to have handy. Trust me when I say kerosene is a much better solution then cleaning spray. The spray works but there just isn't enough of it in a 6-8 dollar can.

Coolant level is fine, but if it wouldn't kill your wallet it to flush it out I would go for it. I am sorta randomly anal about my bike maintenance and when I picked mine up I swapped out all the fluids to make sure I knew exactly what had been done. Only mistake was not doing the brakes and they are on my immediate service list since they have been acting odd.

Seafoam loves all. I have used it on my injected bike and Mustang but have gotten great results out of putting it in the tank of several boats and older trucks. They really love it when you put a bit into the carb, although that might be a big hassle on a bike. Either way, put a can into your tank when you fill the tank up. Make sure your tank is full of gas and you don't over do the ratio.

That is all I got.

Also, if this your first bike or did you just move up to this one?

Old 02-09-2009, 08:08 AM   #20
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
Don't think Marko was accusing you of that... just his way of saying before you roll out of the driveway... in his own words
Thats exactly right. I check my brakes, lights, turns signals, and tires BEFORE EVERY RIDE. It's quick and it's easy and takes literally 30 seconds....and it very well may save your life.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote