Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 09-14-2010, 12:32 PM   #11
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
why not? i run M1 in our 6 y.o. protege5, worth about 4-5k i guess.

just changed oil this weekend.

why run syn in bikes, most are worth less then $9k like that car
I'm just saying that a synthetic oil isn't going to make a difference unless you're planning on keeping it for 200,000 miles or more.

Oil seems to be a big peer pressure thing. Same goes for 3,000 mile oil changes. They are a waste of money for the vast majority of people. It depends on your driving conditions, distance, weather, etc. If all you do is highway long trips, you're fine with 7,500 mile changes. Short trips on the other hand.......

But whatever makes people feel good.

Last edited by Homeslice; 09-14-2010 at 12:35 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:11 PM   #12
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
I'm just saying that a synthetic oil isn't going to make a difference unless you're planning on keeping it for 200,000 miles or more.

Oil seems to be a big peer pressure thing. Same goes for 3,000 mile oil changes. They are a waste of money for the vast majority of people. It depends on your driving conditions, distance, weather, etc. If all you do is highway long trips, you're fine with 7,500 mile changes. Short trips on the other hand.......

But whatever makes people feel good.
haha, really? syn reduces friction better, you get better power and fuel economy with good oil than you do with crap. I felt the difference immediately when I moved to good oil in my last bike and in my truck. Try it sometime, not everyone is as ignorant as you think.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:16 PM   #13
Homeslice
Elitist

You "felt" the difference? Even if you gained 2 hp, that's not enough to feel with a 250hp truck.

I've tried syn plenty of times, never experienced any difference except for better sub-zero starting.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:45 PM   #14
Sean
giggity

Quote:
You "felt" the difference? Even if you gained 2 hp, that's not enough to feel with a 250hp truck.

I've tried syn plenty of times, never experienced any difference except for better sub-zero starting.
Or how about, I couldn't see out of the mirrors of my bike with dino in, but I can do 450 miles on it without a numb butt with MX4T in. Or that I gained 1+mpg in my truck. This isn't rocket surgery. How many HP does my truck have again?
Old 09-14-2010, 01:47 PM   #15
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
When I drain Amsoil after 5,000+ miles of use, it looks the same as when I originally poured it in.

When I used to drain conventional oil after 3,000 miles of use, color would range from dark brown to black glop.

That tells me all I need to know.

Quality filters are important, too, of course.
Dirty oil doesn't necessarily mean it's inferior oil, it might also mean that it contains an aggressive detergent package, and it cleaned out the gunk in your engine. In fact there are a lot of people who say that about Mobil 1.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:50 PM   #16
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

I keep my cars for a long time.
I change my car oil every 3000miles.
I've even changed sythetic oil every 3000miles.

Its appropriate for me since I only drive anywhere from 5K-8K a year with a lot of short trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:51 PM   #17
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Or how about, I couldn't see out of the mirrors of my bike with dino in, but I can do 450 miles on it without a numb butt with MX4T in. Or that I gained 1+mpg in my truck. This isn't rocket surgery. How many HP does my truck have again?
You are comparing two different time periods, one with Oil A and another with Oil B. Your truck isn't operating in a controlled test, so there's too many uncontrolled variables (weather, tire pressure, trip distance, etc) for you to declare that your 1 mpg improvement was due to a different brand of oil.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:00 PM   #18
Mudpuppy
South of Heaven

Moto: 2006 Yamaha R1 50th Anniversary Edition

do i get a free rainbow sticker with the car and free health care but lose my appetite for red meat all while my balls shrivel up and my dick tucks back?

Learn about photography: ATP Members
Mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:13 PM   #19
Sean
giggity

Quote:
You are comparing two different time periods, one with Oil A and another with Oil B. Your truck isn't operating in a controlled test, so there's too many uncontrolled variables (weather, tire pressure, trip distance, etc) for you to declare that your 1 mpg improvement was due to a different brand of oil.
Lacking a time machine, I averaged things over several thousand miles.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:38 PM   #20
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Lacking a time machine, I averaged things over several thousand miles.

OK, but it's not uncommon for engines to deliver different fuel economy as they age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpuppy View Post
do i get a free rainbow sticker with the car and free health care but lose my appetite for red meat all while my balls shrivel up and my dick tucks back?
I actually think the Yaris is good-looking for what it is. Way better than a Fit.