Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-14-2008, 05:54 PM   #11
JoshuaTree
DILLIGAF?

Location: Austin, Texas, USA, Earth, Sol, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way
Moto: 1993 K75SA

Change careers from IT/IS/Management to being an Apprentice Electrician. Cardio: Climb ladders to work on grid lights and ceiling mounted junction boxes. Weights: Press 2'x4' light fixtures into ceiling grid. Repeat - 5x8, Monday though Friday.

60-70# gone, lowered BP, etc. etc....
JoshuaTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:01 PM   #12
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

Since I just started back to the gym for the first time in about four years I havent started much cardio yet. Ive been going 4 times a week on varying days and usually do bis/back one day, tris/shoulders another day, then chest/legs and some sort of abs all four days that Im there. Within the next week or two Im going to try to mix the cardio back in even though I hate running on treadmills and its getting colder. Luckily Ive got a cruise that Im hoping to go on with an incredibly hot friend of mine (female, dont get excited trock) to use as motivation.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:05 PM   #13
speedylocksmith
Much better off!!

Moto: 05 1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoYZF View Post
Since I just started back to the gym for the first time in about four years I havent started much cardio yet. Ive been going 4 times a week on varying days and usually do bis/back one day, tris/shoulders another day, then chest/legs and some sort of abs all four days that Im there. Within the next week or two Im going to try to mix the cardio back in even though I hate running on treadmills and its getting colder. Luckily Ive got a cruise that Im hoping to go on with an incredibly hot friend of mine (female, dont get excited trock) to use as motivation.
try the eliptical for cardio. much better results and not as hard on your knees/joints
speedylocksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:26 PM   #14
lauralynne
667:Neighbor of the Beast

Moto: VTR1000, SV650, FZR400, CRF150

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonspeedRT View Post
Any workout routine. Either for cardio, weight training, just to be healthy, any routine you do to get physically fit or stay in shape.
May 2008 - I weighted 230 pounds and could BARELY get my race leathers on. I had to do SOMETHING

So I started going to the gym. I couldn't run 60 seconds on the treadmill at the time. I Keep going to the gym.
My routine 6 months later is this:

Monday morning: 45 minutes light cardio (eliptical or treadmill)
Monday evening: 60 minutes spin class, 40 minutes hard cardio (usually treadmill), 15 minute ab workout, 90 minutes swim team
Tuesday morning: 45 minutes cardio, 15 minutes ab workout
Tuesday evening: 60 minutes on various weight machines, whole body
Wednesday morning: 45 minutes light cardio, 20 minutes pushups, lunges, medicine ball work
Wednesday evening: 60 minutes spin class, 40 minutes hard cardio (usually treadmill), 15 minute ab workout, 90 minutes swim team
Thursday morning: 45 minutes cardio, 15 minutes ab workout
Friday: 45 minutes hard cardio, usually 3.5 miles on the treadmill - yes, I'm STILL a slow runner, remember, I still am overweight! 15 minutes ab workout
Saturday: running group outside training - usually 4 miles
Sunday: unless I have a race on Sundays, I take sunday's off

Races complete:
June 08 - 5k
July 08 - 5k
August 08 - 5k
September 08 - 2 triathalons
October 08 - well deserved break
November 08 - 10k trail run, 960 feet elevation gain

coming up:
November 08 - half marathon
December 08 - 10k (maybe 2)
April 09 - triathalon
August 09 - OLY triathalon

rest of season still being determined

Married my best friend 8/30/09
lauralynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:32 PM   #15
SteveP
Canyon Carver

Moto: The v-twin trifecta

I don't understand why people kill themselves with cardio to lose weight. You're not burning fat if your heart rate is through the roof.

I do a full body lifting routine 3x a week. Usually takes about an hour to complete. Twice a week I run, usually 3.5 miles on Thur and 4.5 on Sun. That's it. I up my milage by 10% every week.

.... and I've lost 30lbs over the last 6 months. Started at 175 @ 25.5% now at 145 @ 12%.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:39 PM   #16
lauralynne
667:Neighbor of the Beast

Moto: VTR1000, SV650, FZR400, CRF150

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
I don't understand why people kill themselves with cardio to lose weight. You're not burning fat if your heart rate is through the roof.

I do a full body lifting routine 3x a week. Usually takes about an hour to complete. Twice a week I run, usually 3.5 miles on Thur and 4.5 on Sun. That's it. I up my milage by 10% every week.

.... and I've lost 30lbs over the last 6 months. Started at 175 @ 25.5% now at 145 @ 12%.
referring to me? I do the cardio to build my endurance. I started at 0. I'm still only down to an 11.5 minute mile without bring my heart rate over the 85% rate. Most of my training is done below 80% so that I am burning fat. In 6 months I've lost 30 pounds and gone from 45% bf to 35% bf. I'm winging it. And I'll be the first to admit, I work out in order to be able to eat. I don't eat much junk but I like to eat - I snack on healthy proteins and stay away from starches. But I like to eat and hate to "diet". If I could reduce my calories even more, I would be dropping more weight.

I've gone from not being able to run 60 seconds to running 4+ miles without stopping and without going ove4 85% on my HRM. In fact I'm trying to figure out the deal with my heart rate - lately I get 20 minutes into my workout and my heart rate drops dramatically. typically my HR during a workout is 130 +/-5 20 minutes in, it drops to 70-75 and stays there until I get into my cool down. Then it drops even lower. I've got a dr. appt. to have HIM look at it (and do a few other tests now that I'm getting more healthy). I've used a Garmin 305 as well as the sensors on 3 different treadmills to track my HR. *shrug*

Married my best friend 8/30/09
lauralynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:39 PM   #17
Johnny Rico
Street Stunter

Moto: 2002 YZF600R

I actually stole the routine I do.

Monday, Wednesday, Friday:

1 minute push-ups followed by 3 minutes jumping rope. I do three sets of these. No rest in between sets.

Rest 2 minutes.

Followed by another 3 sets but substituting pull-ups for the push-ups.

Rest 2 minutes.

Another 3 sets. This time doing dips.

Tuesday and Thursday.

The 3 minutes of jumping rope on every set but this time doing ab work instead of upper body work. Crunches. Leg raises. And Prison Push-ups. Prison Push-ups are pretty cool. Start in the top of the push-up position, go down. Go back up and bring first one knee to the chest, put it back, bring the other knee to the chest, put back and go down again.

I do my routine in the morning before going to work and on Tuesday and Friday evenings I train at a local dojo.
Johnny Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:18 PM   #18
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Mine changes every 4-6 weeks usually and take 1 week off for a deload. Current routine is 2 weeks in length called conjugate periodization with dual factor theory training.

If I have time I'm post the routine.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:36 PM   #19
Mrs. Colleen
Leather and Lace

Moto: 2005 R6

I take an hour long "Ripped" class twice a week...but the rest of my gym activity has been lacking lately. I am overall pretty active though...I do not know how I would be able to teach 3 year olds and not be active.

Weekend usually involve a few couple mile walks. <-----and some of those
Ms. Colleen still makes us all think back and wonder about our preschool teachers
Mrs. Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:52 PM   #20
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedylocksmith View Post
try the eliptical for cardio. much better results and not as hard on your knees/joints
I was thinking about doing that just because I used to run track and cross country so Im very used to running outdoors, either on a track or path. I get extremely bored on treadmills, especially for longer workouts.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote