Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 01-09-2011, 01:25 AM   #11
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

In the 1980's I did gold exploration in eastern and central Nevada. I was on plenty of roads where you could actually use some of their speed. I demo'd the RR and it was a very fast bike, but they only took us on highways. For the places I ride, my old CBR is almost as quick and a jillion times more practical and comfortable.

Now that I'm old enough to tap into my IRA's I could buy one of those RR's. But there's at least a dozen older sportbikes I would rather enjoy. I could never afford or want a Veyron, but I saw three of them on Mount Evans in 2005.

No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:42 AM   #12
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
For the places I ride, my old CBR is almost as quick and a jillion times more practical and comfortable.
No, no it's not. They don't demo in slick mode, the bike is neutered when they let you take it out. The traction control is very very effective at it's job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:44 AM   #13
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

So German tech beats the French again? anyone suprised??

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:53 AM   #14
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

that's fucking insane... only two places you can get the tires changed in the world... one in France the other here in the US... $90,000 a tire change!
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:56 AM   #15
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBBs15 View Post
that's fucking insane... only two places you can get the tires changed in the world... one in France the other here in the US... $90,000 a tire change!
That's what struck me as well. I had a buddy that won the lottery and bought a Viper when they first came out. He crashed it and we had to take it to Florida to have it fixed. Even if you could afford some of this exotic shit, the maintenance costs can take you out of the game.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:08 PM   #16
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
No, no it's not. They don't demo in slick mode, the bike is neutered when they let you take it out. The traction control is very very effective at it's job.
Shhhh.... just let the old guy keep his dreams, Nick. Actually, the old CBR1000 is a fast bike for it's time and I'm sure that NW is a very fast rider on that bike but to say that a 90s bike is "just as fast and nimble" as a 2010 BMW S1000RR is delusional at best. I mean forget all the other suspension, brake, etc improvements...there's about 100 lbs and 60+ hp between the two bikes.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:54 PM   #17
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

i think he was getting to the fact that the modern bikes have achieved a level of performance that is totally useless on the roads.

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:36 PM   #18
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpy View Post
i think he was getting to the fact that the modern bikes have achieved a level of performance that is totally useless on the roads.
Maybe but judging from some of his other posts, I'm not too sure of that...
Old 01-14-2011, 01:24 AM   #19
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Besides going around corners, I like snapping the throttle to WFO. The roads I ride, I can only do it for a few seconds. If you ever get out to Bonneville, take Route 93 south from Wendover. I worked in the Deep Creek Range and stayed in Wendover. In three months, I think I saw three cars on that road. That's a place you could hold the throttle wide open for a while.

When I rode the RR during the demo, I pinned the throttle and passed the leader. That was a no-no. The RR is unbelievably fast, and the brakes were impeccable. My problem was with the ergonomics. My head extended beyond the windshield. Kind of like riding a spear as the bike disappeared under me. Except I had to move my head down to see the gauges and twisting my head to look into the next lane made me look at my shoulder.

The seat wasn't too bad, and the acute angle of my knees was tolerable. The worse part was my ankles. Can you bend your foot so your toes touch your shin? I can't, but you almost had to do that to upshift. And I love shifting. Downshifting was almost as bad. Now I understand why riders don't use the rear brake on new bikes. It was almost impossible unless I raised my knee. Maybe it could have been adjusted, but on demo rides, there's only a few minutes between rides. Luckily we were so far ahead of the others during the ride, we stopped often.

I only used sport-mode on the BMW, but even that was fast. As for quickness, Motorcycle Consumer News tested the RR in June, 2010. It did 0-60 in 3.10 seconds.

Cycle magazine tested the Streetsports: CBR1000F, ZX-11, Katana1100, and FJ1200 in May, 1991. The CBR did 0-60 in 2.75 seconds. The same as the FZR1000 and GSXR1100 that they tested in the same issue. The ZX-11? That did it in 2.65 seconds. Almost half a second quicker than the RR. That's extremely quick. Who won the streetsport test? The ZX-11 won with the CBR in second. In the Ultrasports, the FZR won.

And here's something else I found out when I demo'd the RR. My 32-year-old Suzuki turns easier. At street speeds anyway.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:50 AM   #20
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
Besides going around corners, I like snapping the throttle to WFO. The roads I ride, I can only do it for a few seconds. If you ever get out to Bonneville, take Route 93 south from Wendover. I worked in the Deep Creek Range and stayed in Wendover. In three months, I think I saw three cars on that road. That's a place you could hold the throttle wide open for a while.

When I rode the RR during the demo, I pinned the throttle and passed the leader. That was a no-no. The RR is unbelievably fast, and the brakes were impeccable. My problem was with the ergonomics. My head extended beyond the windshield. Kind of like riding a spear as the bike disappeared under me. Except I had to move my head down to see the gauges and twisting my head to look into the next lane made me look at my shoulder.

The seat wasn't too bad, and the acute angle of my knees was tolerable. The worse part was my ankles. Can you bend your foot so your toes touch your shin? I can't, but you almost had to do that to upshift. And I love shifting. Downshifting was almost as bad. Now I understand why riders don't use the rear brake on new bikes. It was almost impossible unless I raised my knee. Maybe it could have been adjusted, but on demo rides, there's only a few minutes between rides. Luckily we were so far ahead of the others during the ride, we stopped often.

I only used sport-mode on the BMW, but even that was fast. As for quickness, Motorcycle Consumer News tested the RR in June, 2010. It did 0-60 in 3.10 seconds.

Cycle magazine tested the Streetsports: CBR1000F, ZX-11, Katana1100, and FJ1200 in May, 1991. The CBR did 0-60 in 2.75 seconds. The same as the FZR1000 and GSXR1100 that they tested in the same issue. The ZX-11? That did it in 2.65 seconds. Almost half a second quicker than the RR. That's extremely quick. Who won the streetsport test? The ZX-11 won with the CBR in second. In the Ultrasports, the FZR won.

And here's something else I found out when I demo'd the RR. My 32-year-old Suzuki turns easier. At street speeds anyway.

As for the 0-60 times, gearing and pork make it easier to launch and get up to speed.

I used to beat my buddy on his F2 all the time back when I had the 83 Nighthawk...I'd beat him until I had to shift out of first gear
then ZOOM off he went.

Its odd now with the ZX-11 and cbr1k in the garage.
One was the king of the road in the 90's and the other is considered a "down on power compared to <insert competition here>"

I never clenched up taking the ZX-11 at WOT in first gear up to redline from low speed.

On the CBR um...I don't think so. I prefer both wheels on the ground thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote