Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 05-25-2009, 02:04 AM   #11
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
Ohlins for a Miata: $2,689.00.
TEIN for $1500, and probably just as good. Or just get Ground Control springs & sleeves for $400, fit them with Koni or Bilstein dampers for another $600, and you've spent only $1000 for something that most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between that and Ohlins.

If you take everyone who puts coilovers on their cars, probably less than 1% of them buy Ohlins......But probably 80% of everyone who buys a sportbike shock buys Ohlins.

By the way, how about slipons? For that same $500 I could buy a complete Borla cat-back system for a car. Not just a freaking can.

Plugs? Filters? Oil? All more expensive for bikes.

Bikes are a luxury item, and parts are priced accordingly. That, and the production is more limited, so the cost efficiency isn't there like it is in the car market.

Last edited by Homeslice; 05-25-2009 at 02:28 AM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:42 PM   #12
unknownroad
Guys... where *are* we?

Moto: SV650 Interstate, CX500 rat-bobber, whatever else runs.

I'm guessing the OP is buying used parts, rather than new parts at a dealership.

New parts, yeah, bikes are nuts- along with filters and exhaust, check out OEM brake rotors some time...

Now, used parts are a whole 'nother story, at least with older Japanese bike parts... Of course there are exceptions (the CBX comes to mind), but I'm parting out a V45 Sabre (VF750S), which was a pretty complex and sophisticated machine for the time, lots of one-off parts, and you can hardly give the stuff away... Seriously, with the time and hassle of putting the parts on ebay, I figured out I'd get a better return on investment by taking them to the metal yard.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:53 PM   #13
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

I think my car parts are about the same as the bike, but can't really say for sure since I've only bought an oil filter for my new car. Bike and car oil filters (both OEM) were both around $7.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote