Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > 2008 Blog Contest

Old 06-01-2008, 11:57 PM   #11
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic
Unhappy

Well took it out Mon & Tues a bunch... running great.

Then Tuesday night the clutch started acting funny. The freeplay in the lever would go from normal to half the distance to the grip, then bk to normal. Not sure what's going on... need to tear into it Friday and check the ball ramp/clutch rod and will probably pull the clutch plates too. No slipping just shit for working clutch.

FUCK FUCK FUCKITTY FUCK

Been trying to work on it all week sense Wed but between work and other obligations... NOTHING!

Finally got to it today (sunday). Started by going after the freeplay adjustment and the clutch rod/ball ramp assembly.

Had to remove the exhaust, and then pull the clutch rod

Then pulled the pulley cover to get to the ball ramp assembly

Pulled it all apart, to check the ball bearings and farrel, ect...

Cleaned up all the grease and inspected the parts... all looks good!

Greased it with some Mobil 1 grease and put it back together

Then I kept going... pull the clutch plates apart and nothing bad there

Springs are all good

So I was thinking about all the possible problems over the last few days... I'm going thru them one by one at this point... knowing that its not a complicated thing. Everything has been ok to this point.

Want to check the clutch basket nut on the tranny input shaft. So I remove the hub to gain access

The red loctited and impact installed nut... FUCKIN HAND TIGHT AKA LOOSE AS FUCK!!! I grab it with my hand and I can spin it!! BINGO MOTHERFUCKER!! Remove it, clean up the threads and my only guess as to why is that over tightening it with the impact or false tight. Not sure. Its suppose to have 80 ft lbs according to RMD. So I re-installed it this time with a bunch of red loctite and instead of using the impact go for the torque wrench, some tools to lock in basket and holding the rear brake hard.

Then re-install the hub

Put all the plates back in and put the spring plate back on

Also, read thru the banditt clutch book again and noticed that you aren't suppose to bottom out the spring screws. That the spring cups are suppose to be flush with the plate. Dont' think it was this way before... but it is now FOR SURE!

Will ride it Monday and hope for the best.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product