Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-26-2010, 02:36 PM   #191
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
There's this thing called equality. You might have heard of it. It might have a little something to do with your history.

I've even taken the time to look it up for you. http://www.google.ca/search?q=define%3Aequality&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a

I never said I wanted to call anybody a nigger. I said, if you're ignorant enough to use it, expect ignorance in return.

You can call it "your" word all you want. It doesn't make it any better or worse. You might have this stupid idea that turning the most hate filled word in the english language into a pet name for your friends is somehow showing the man what's what. It's idiotic no matter who uses it.

Are we on the same page yet?

U huh... That's not what you said and you know it. Look, if you and one of your friends are at the bar and call each other "faggot" does that authorize anyone that overheard the exchange to call you both faggots? THAT is what you are saying and I disagree. Just because I allow a friend, relative, or any random person to demean me does not give you the right to demean me as well.

Context, man. Are you really trying to tell me that you and your friends never call each other names that might have resulted in a fight were it some random stranger? Is this concept this hard to understand? If black people want to allow other black people to call them nigger, don't they have that right? Can't I decide what I'll allow each individual person permission to call me without repercussion? If me and Derf are at Mc Donalds and he flicks a french fry at me, I'll laugh because we are friends. If a hot chick does it, I may smile and go and get her number. If you throw food at me, I'll probably get up and attempt to beat the shit out of you. It's the same thing, I get to decide what my response will be. You don't get to insult me in any way and then decide what I'm allowed to feel or do about it. Dude, you can do whatever you want, as long as you are willing to deal with the consequences of your actions. Now are we on the same page?
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:50 PM   #192
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
U huh... That's not what you said and you know it. Look, if you and one of your friends are at the bar and call each other "faggot" does that authorize anyone that overheard the exchange to call you both faggots? THAT is what you are saying and I disagree. Just because I allow a friend, relative, or any random person to demean me does not give you the right to demean me as well.

Context, man. Are you really trying to tell me that you and your friends never call each other names that might have resulted in a fight were it some random stranger? Is this concept this hard to understand? If black people want to allow other black people to call them nigger, don't they have that right? Can't I decide what I'll allow each individual person permission to call me without repercussion? If me and Derf are at Mc Donalds and he flicks a french fry at me, I'll laugh because we are friends. If a hot chick does it, I may smile and go and get her number. If you throw food at me, I'll probably get up and attempt to beat the shit out of you. It's the same thing, I get to decide what my response will be. You don't get to insult me in any way and then decide what I'm allowed to feel or do about it. Dude, you can do whatever you want, as long as you are willing to deal with the consequences of your actions. Now are we on the same page?
I agree with everything here. But again, you're talking about a stranger calling another stranger a name. What if 2 white or latino friends want to call each other niggaz? What is the problem with that?

Last edited by Homeslice; 01-26-2010 at 02:53 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:54 PM   #193
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

Makes sense to me, Tigger.

But I gotta say that the whole "reclaiming the word and turning it into a positive" is As long as a word is in common usage, it's going to take a lot longer to forget where it came from. It doesn't lose its power or some crap like that. All its racist baggage just gets dragged on into the future. Stop using it, and it fades into irrelevancy.
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:47 PM   #194
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:

We have one rule in my group of friends. Don't dish it out if you can't take it. I think it applies here as well.

If my friends and I are cutting each other down and you come into the conversation and start doing it to, we wouldn't care. We don't need to come up with a bullshit reason to pick a fight. We don't have chips on our shoulders which means we've been in very few altercations.

To sum it up, we don't need a bullshit reason to be pissed off. We have absolutely nothing to prove.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:07 PM   #195
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
I agree with everything here. But again, you're talking about a stranger calling another stranger a name. What if 2 white or latino friends want to call each other niggaz? What is the problem with that?

Umm...I never said that I have a problem with that, just the opposite. I don't care what you call other people, who does? I have been and only will be concerned with what you call me. If you read my posts, I have repeatedly put my responses in the first person. I do not claim authority to allow or disallow what you can and cannot say to other black people. If anything, I have attempted to explain why some black people allow their compatriots to refer to them as niggers. Again, all I can say is context.

Oh btw, in reference to your example, the only thing about those situations that tends to irritate me, is when the two parties notice that I am within earshot and give me that, "oops sorry" look. Basically, they've just referenced me as a nigger.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:16 PM   #196
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
Makes sense to me, Tigger.

But I gotta say that the whole "reclaiming the word and turning it into a positive" is As long as a word is in common usage, it's going to take a lot longer to forget where it came from. It doesn't lose its power or some crap like that. All its racist baggage just gets dragged on into the future. Stop using it, and it fades into irrelevancy.
Okay I disagree and I'll give you a few examples;

Motherfucker: at one time, the use of this word meant literally, one who has intercourse with his mother and has been the cause of many, many fights and perhaps even deaths.

Punk: at one time this word was synonymous with homosexual and it's use would immediately result in a fight. My father hated that word and would beat your ass if caught using it.

There are several others. In a way, the more it's used the LESS power it has imho. Watch TV and count how many words that are common place now that wouldn't have been allowed 20-40 years ago. Heck, kids barely get in trouble for saying shit, dick or asshole anymore.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:22 PM   #197
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
We have one rule in my group of friends. Don't dish it out if you can't take it. I think it applies here as well.

If my friends and I are cutting each other down and you come into the conversation and start doing it to, we wouldn't care. We don't need to come up with a bullshit reason to pick a fight. We don't have chips on our shoulders which means we've been in very few altercations.

To sum it up, we don't need a bullshit reason to be pissed off. We have absolutely nothing to prove.
See, context again.. Now you're talking about a group of "friends", before you were talking about random people. Dishing it out amongst friends and taking shit from some random dude are two totally different things. Besides, I don't believe that you and your buddies could be hanging out at the bar and some dude can walk up and say, "Hey you faggots get the fuck out of my way!" and you won't care because you all had just been calling each other gay a minute ago... Hmmm then again maybe you would now that I think about it.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:47 PM   #198
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

Quote:
Okay I disagree and I'll give you a few examples;

Motherfucker: at one time, the use of this word meant literally, one who has intercourse with his mother and has been the cause of many, many fights and perhaps even deaths.

Punk: at one time this word was synonymous with homosexual and it's use would immediately result in a fight. My father hated that word and would beat your ass if caught using it.

There are several others. In a way, the more it's used the LESS power it has imho. Watch TV and count how many words that are common place now that wouldn't have been allowed 20-40 years ago. Heck, kids barely get in trouble for saying shit, dick or asshole anymore.
Yeah, I get the idea that words change meaning over time. But neither of those words were kept alive (as it were) by the groups they originally targeted. Over time, the association just got lost, because people stopped using it in anything close to its original context.

In this case, not only is the word still around, but the idea that it refers to black folks is also being kept intact. That's a dumb idea, in my opinion.
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:55 PM   #199
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

I'm glad that I'm part of that group of people that calls people by their first names.
I'd be embarrased to use slang or nicknames in public.

I've worked hard for my elitist label

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:55 PM   #200
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
Yeah, I get the idea that words change meaning over time. But neither of those words were kept alive (as it were) by the groups they originally targeted. Over time, the association just got lost, because people stopped using it in anything close to its original context.

In this case, not only is the word still around, but the idea that it refers to black folks is also being kept intact. That's a dumb idea, in my opinion.
Good point! I'm not sure that any black people are running around and claiming that white people can't call each other niggers... I'm not sure if any black people would be offended by that...maybe, I don't know. All I said was that regardless of the circumstances, you can't call me one. Even if I did allow my boy Derf to call me one. Even if I have Lil Wayne blaring from my stereo. Even if you just got done watching the last Spike Lee joint. Etc.