Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 01-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #231
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Ford Focus SEL

Ford deserves to be proud of this car. It is leagues better than the prior Focus, which was a boring POS imo. For one thing, it doesn't have any of the slab-sided, boxy styling that plagues most American economy cars like Cobalts, Avengers, Calibers, etc. The catfish grill might be a little overdone, but the rest of the body is excellent.

This SEL version has a leather-wrapped steering wheel with a couple of awesome “bulges” at 10 and 2 o’clock, the way all steering wheels should. Like many Fords, there are adjustable LED mood lights for the footwells, map pockets, cupholder, and door releases. The windshield wipers are cool, because they sweep in opposite directions like a Mercedes. And like a good European car, the turn signals give 3 signals if you blip it for lane changes. The only shortcoming is that the basic seats don't have any lumbar adjustment, but there are better seats available.

The Microsoft “In-Sync” system is ok I guess, if you get off on such things. There is also a bigger system available called My Touch.

The climate control setup is very good --- It has dual climate zones first of all, and it doesn’t turn on the AC compressor unless you push the AC button, unlike some cars that try to make that decision for you.

The steering is VERY good for an economy car. Firm, accurate, etc. Handling is very decent as well. The upcoming Focus ST will be even better. As far as ride quality goes, it’s decent over small bumps, but over larger bumps it bottoms out and sometimes forces the car to step out, revealing the economy origins of the setup.

The brakes are a little too abrupt and over-boosted, IMO.

The tranny is a 6-speed auto, which means good acceleration if you're flooring it, but if you’re just taking it easy, the first 3 gearchanges feel kind of confused & random. It also has a Sport mode which provides higher rpm shifts, and downshifts when you brake.

Overall, I see no point in buying a Fusion over this car. The only thing the Fusion does better is ride quality. I doubt if it offers much more room inside. Plus the Fusion's dashboard sucks IMO.

Last edited by Homeslice; 01-03-2012 at 07:16 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #232
Cass
Cassolicious!

Moto: SV

Chevy Malibu for a week.

Seats weren't terrible, though I'm pretty sure both front seats had assprints in them by the time we returned it. Pretty sure it had a 4banger in it, we were getting ~30mpg highway, with <200miles city driving mixed in. Plenty of room for my shortness and 2 tall male type people. Power ports front and rear so we didn't have to argue over who was charging what. Could've used a rear AC/vent thingie, but the child back there wears a coat all the time anyway, so it didn't REALLY matter.

Easy to drive, satellite radio subscription was still active, woohoo! There was a phone button on the rear view mirror, and it looked like it was set up for bluetooth, but I couldn't get it to pairing mode, and didn't care enough to get the book and find out. Boyfriend was NOT a fan of the soft blue lights that shine down on the center console area, but I liked them.

Saved me probably $100 or better in gas compared to my truck, and has a damn working radio (that's another story).
Old 01-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #233
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Ford mustang for the week, will provide a writeup next week, but I will say the v8 has some big balls and it took a fairly tight on ramp starting at 40 and getting a little squirley around 80 when I roasted onto the highway

Last edited by derf; 01-03-2012 at 04:34 PM..
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #234
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
Ford mustang for the week, will provide a writeup next week, but I will say the v8 has some big balls and it took a fairly tight on ramp starting at 40 and getting a little squirley around 80 when I roasted onto the highway
You sure it was a V8? Seems like most rental places would only stock the base-model V6.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #235
derf
token jewboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
You sure it was a V8? Seems like most rental places would only stock the base-model V6.
M beight the v6, but it's st least as powerful as the last model v8, if not more powerful
Old 01-04-2012, 11:25 PM   #236
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass View Post
Chevy Malibu for a week.

Seats weren't terrible, though I'm pretty sure both front seats had assprints in them by the time we returned it. Pretty sure it had a 4banger in it, we were getting ~30mpg highway, with <200miles city driving mixed in. Plenty of room for my shortness and 2 tall male type people. Power ports front and rear so we didn't have to argue over who was charging what. Could've used a rear AC/vent thingie, but the child back there wears a coat all the time anyway, so it didn't REALLY matter.

Easy to drive, satellite radio subscription was still active, woohoo! There was a phone button on the rear view mirror, and it looked like it was set up for bluetooth, but I couldn't get it to pairing mode, and didn't care enough to get the book and find out. Boyfriend was NOT a fan of the soft blue lights that shine down on the center console area, but I liked them.

Saved me probably $100 or better in gas compared to my truck, and has a damn working radio (that's another story).
I loved the Malibu I got. Small 4 banger + 6 speed with paddle shifters = fun!
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:54 AM   #237
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

The new v6 is more powerfull than the prev v8. My neighbor has one for his wife and it's real nice.
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:03 AM   #238
derf
token jewboy

I did a small burnout last night, now the car smells like burnt rubber
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #239
Cass
Cassolicious!

Moto: SV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
I loved the Malibu I got. Small 4 banger + 6 speed with paddle shifters = fun!
dammitsomuch, I got the wrong one

ours had a "manual mode" but the gear "shifter" was on the regular shifter... and was freaking broken. so it was just a plain-ol automatic
Old 01-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #240
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Many are stocking the GT model as well, for the "sports enthusiast".

I think Hertz has some special branded ones for awhile too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote