Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 04-01-2010, 10:18 PM   #21
sherri_chickie
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: Gs500F

I think we do kids an injustice when we don't arm them for the real world. Everyone is " special" etc. I also don't think failing a kid in elementary is as bad for their self esteem as struggling for the rest of their academic career and feeling stupid because they don't get it.
Parents and schools need to get together on what to do about bullying, kids are SO covert it's hard to tell who is doing what and when. It's not just a parent issue nor is it just a school issue. Maybe we need to be teaching kids more about empathy!
sherri_chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:08 PM   #22
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
I should just stop here, because this topic gets my blood fucking boiling.
I'm completely with you. It's part of why I asked where the parents were for the entire ordeal. Some parents are too busy trying to be friends with their kids they don't have the time or ability to be a parent. It's not that the parents in this case are to blame - but they sure as hell should have more responsibility than the article lends to them.

It's really too bad so many rely on the school to take care of everything for them....

Not only is "everyone a winner" but, it's no one's fault for anything until it all goes horribly, horribly wrong.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:28 PM   #23
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Oh man, I agree completely on this new fucking method of teaching kids that everyone is a fucking winner. It disgusts me that they no longer keep score for children under 9 in hockey up here. This "there are no losers' way of doing things is ruining competitive spirit, not just in sport, but in life as well.

The last thing we should be teaching kids is that its ok to lose. Its a perfect way to instill poor work ethic in children. Why try your hardest to win if losing is acceptable?

Its even transferring over to school, where they no longer fail children in lower grades, because its 'bad for their self esteem'... So we end up with a bunch of children getting to grade 7, who cant fucking read, because noone wanted to hurt their feelings, and their parents didnt give a shit.

I should just stop here, because this topic gets my blood fucking boiling.
This method is lowering the bar the the lowest common denominator. Some people are just not good at certain things, that's reality. Either work on it or find something else you are good at.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:57 PM   #24
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Its not just kid's sports and test scores though, it speaks to a larger shift in mentality of the world's most "advanced" societies, commonly referred to for the past 10 years as "The Pussification of America."

At the root of it all, IMO, is a desire to shed our most primitive behaviors in the name of advancement, while completely ignoring the basics of how human's are evolved to function because we think we're somehow too evolved to be animals.

Political correctness was forced upon us in the corporate world and as more Americans went to work in an office type enviornment that behavior began to trickle down into everyday life. People suddenly felt they should be deeply offended by this or that resulting in great drama and emotion.

Frivolous lawsuits exploded because people began to lose their sense of self-reliance, common sense and responsibility. Same with medical malpractice which contributed to increasingly unaffordable healthcare.

Children are being stripped of identity and individualism in schools. Physical activity has been replaced by narcotics, usually prescribed by a Doctor. Socializing is being cracked down upon, to the point that many of our schools don't even allow children to chat during lunch.

People are appalled and disgusted everytime some new bullshit story breaks about a rich, powerful man cheating on his wife. "ZOMG, WHY WOULD HE FUCK SO MANY WOMEN...I DON'T UNDERSTAND IT!!!!" And I think this speaks to us not understanding ourselves at all anymore. Assuming we ever did.

IMO its all part of the big picture. Pretty soon we're going to be fined for swearing and using the three sea shells to wipe our asses.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:15 PM   #25
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
This method is lowering the bar the the lowest common denominator. Some people are just not good at certain things, that's reality. Either work on it or find something else you are good at.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:17 PM   #26
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
Its not just kid's sports and test scores though, it speaks to a larger shift in mentality of the world's most "advanced" societies, commonly referred to for the past 10 years as "The Pussification of America."

At the root of it all, IMO, is a desire to shed our most primitive behaviors in the name of advancement, while completely ignoring the basics of how human's are evolved to function because we think we're somehow too evolved to be animals.

Political correctness was forced upon us in the corporate world and as more Americans went to work in an office type enviornment that behavior began to trickle down into everyday life. People suddenly felt they should be deeply offended by this or that resulting in great drama and emotion.

Frivolous lawsuits exploded because people began to lose their sense of self-reliance, common sense and responsibility. Same with medical malpractice which contributed to increasingly unaffordable healthcare.

Children are being stripped of identity and individualism in schools. Physical activity has been replaced by narcotics, usually prescribed by a Doctor. Socializing is being cracked down upon, to the point that many of our schools don't even allow children to chat during lunch.

People are appalled and disgusted everytime some new bullshit story breaks about a rich, powerful man cheating on his wife. "ZOMG, WHY WOULD HE FUCK SO MANY WOMEN...I DON'T UNDERSTAND IT!!!!" And I think this speaks to us not understanding ourselves at all anymore. Assuming we ever did.

IMO its all part of the big picture. Pretty soon we're going to be fined for swearing and using the three sea shells to wipe our asses.

EXACTLY! If I can't fuck it, ride it or drive it, I wanna fight with it! And that's the way we're ALL wired. Some of us can just accept it better than others.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote