Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 01-16-2010, 11:45 PM   #21
ericr
I'm so much cooler online

Moto: 06 FZ1

THanks Ebbs! I didn't mind hanging out a little with my little $400 Sony But I didn't think to try those low angle shots either. With a camera like yours I'd definitely want it tied to me somehow! And you have to consider what you'll do in an emergency situation wher you have to grab the bar. With my neck strap I could just drop the camera and it wasn't hitting anything but me.

Eric: ibu what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
but I'm perfectly placed when I'm on my knees . . . .
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:51 PM   #22
Hydrant
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 2003 Suzuki TL1000R, 2002 Honda CBR 600 F4i

When I went skydiving, the photographer had 2 cameras attached to a helmet. One camera was a digi cam for still shots, and the other was a digi camcorder to video the whole jump. He had an eye piece that would with crosshairs so he knew what he was shooting, but to take a pic, he had an attachment going from the camera to his mouth and to take a pic he would just bite this piece and the camera would take a pic.

Something like that would be good for shots, not even having to take your hands off for a shot. Just get the camera set to how you wish, and shoot with that attachment.
Hydrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:53 PM   #23
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
THanks Ebbs! I didn't mind hanging out a little with my little $400 Sony But I didn't think to try those low angle shots either. With a camera like yours I'd definitely want it tied to me somehow! And you have to consider what you'll do in an emergency situation wher you have to grab the bar. With my neck strap I could just drop the camera and it wasn't hitting anything but me.
well the nice thing about the DRZ... is that I can't go that fast to begin with... and heading off road itsn't as "puckering" as it is on a street bike.

but I have a "skin" for the D300... that will help protect the body from short drops or bumps... but the lens will still be at risk.

I'll figure something out... loop my hand through the strap a few times... plus with the wide bars not much it can bump into...

(and my bike insurance will cover it )
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:59 PM   #24
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrant View Post
When I went skydiving, the photographer had 2 cameras attached to a helmet. One camera was a digi cam for still shots, and the other was a digi camcorder to video the whole jump. He had an eye piece that would with crosshairs so he knew what he was shooting, but to take a pic, he had an attachment going from the camera to his mouth and to take a pic he would just bite this piece and the camera would take a pic.

Something like that would be good for shots, not even having to take your hands off for a shot. Just get the camera set to how you wish, and shoot with that attachment.
nikon has an corded remote timer that I can program to take photos at any interval, bursts, delay or what ever. it's got like a 3' cord... so I could set it to take pics, then just hold the camera securely, and not worry about pressing the shutter release.

also I have 12g's worth of space... so I can just delete the unwanted photos when I stop... and I have a spare battery (but they're usually good for all day shooting on a single charge)
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:32 AM   #25
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Eric...good pics man.

Ebbs...I would think strapping the cam to your hand would be sorta dangerous if you suddenly need to have control of the bike.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:09 AM   #26
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

I think that I would still get a camera mount and just leave it slightly loose so you can move it around.

Ram mounts sells a unit that mounts on the bars or on the tank. You can get to of the longer arms and a double ball connector to make it about an 18'' reach and quadruple articulating.

What's go about this is that you can adjust it on the fly pretty easily and you can let go of your camera without fear. Obviously, this is just an example. Ram sells different length arms and different mounts, etc.

If you invest in the remote cable as well, you could get some really good shots without compromising your or your friend's safety.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RAP-B-366U.jpg (14.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg RAM-B-231ZU.jpg (10.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg ram 2.jpg (2.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg ram 1.jpg (2.1 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 01-17-2010 at 11:11 AM..
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:15 AM   #27
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I think that I would still get a camera mount and just leave it slightly loose so you can move it around.

Ram mounts sells a unit that mounts on the bars or on the tank. You can get to of the longer arms and a double ball connector to make it about an 18'' reach and quadruple articulating.

What's go about this is that you can adjust it on the fly pretty easily and you can let go of your camera without fear. Obviously, this is just an example. Ram sells different length arms and different mounts, etc.

If you invest in the remote cable as well, you could get some really good shots without compromising your or your friend's safety.
Thats probably the safest route, but it's not gonna afford you the latitude to get such awesome shots as the guy did.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:18 AM   #28
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

I tried the camera mount way on a ball-head mount at first. The camera was a Fuji point and shoot so no weight at all. If you didn't tighten it down and make it immobile it would flop around. It also transfers all the vibrations from the bike into the camera and would destroy a DSLR in no time. The camera mount turned out to be waaaaay too much trouble.

Like I said, the best way for me was putting velcro on the top of my tankbag and on the bottom of my camera and throwing the strap around my neck.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:31 AM   #29
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
I tried the camera mount way on a ball-head mount at first. The camera was a Fuji point and shoot so no weight at all. If you didn't tighten it down and make it immobile it would flop around. It also transfers all the vibrations from the bike into the camera and would destroy a DSLR in no time. The camera mount turned out to be waaaaay too much trouble.

Like I said, the best way for me was putting velcro on the top of my tankbag and on the bottom of my camera and throwing the strap around my neck.
Hmmm...I don't know. I got decent video from my GoPro and it was mounted right on the bike. besides, they've been selling camera/camcorder mounts for years... I've never heard of anyone saying that it destroyed their camera. I don't know to be honest. Oh and I would still have the camera tied down some how!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:39 AM   #30
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Hmmm...I don't know. I got decent video from my GoPro and it was mounted right on the bike. besides, they've been selling camera/camcorder mounts for years... I've never heard of anyone saying that it destroyed their camera. I don't know to be honest. Oh and I would still have the camera tied down some how!
Vibrations, bugs, rocks, etc. Whereas on top of the tank bag behind the windscreen it is protected. If you're just using a P&S camera then no biggie I suppose, but I wouldn't put a DSLR up on a mount...they tend to have sensitive internals, more so than a video camera.

Oh, and mount my ball on your chin sucka.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote