Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-10-2010, 01:01 PM   #21
TommyHotWheel
Imported from Detroit

Moto: 2001 Suzuki TL1000R

The mental retardation was the harsh part...Its a social dysfunction. He is mentally the same as any kid, just has problems with texture, loud noises and large social gatherings and interaction. Autism is not retardation. Autism magnifies the response to these, like fear of crowds and claustrophobia...ramped up 100 times and because of the social interaction phobia...speech was delayed and he has trouble in crowds. As for the lawyer...no way. With my mounting medical bills(brainsurgery...its what they want to do) and being out of work since March, Social Security still months off and no income, not happening. I will however be at the doctor next Thursday and will be meeting with all of the various agencies that have had dealings with my son. I will be filing for custody next week.

Cry Havok! And let slip the hogs of war!
TommyHotWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:07 PM   #22
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyHotWheel View Post
The mental retardation was the harsh part...Its a social dysfunction. He is mentally the same as any kid, just has problems with texture, loud noises and large social gatherings and interaction. Autism is not retardation. Autism magnifies the response to these, like fear of crowds and claustrophobia...ramped up 100 times and because of the social interaction phobia...speech was delayed and he has trouble in crowds. As for the lawyer...no way. With my mounting medical bills(brainsurgery...its what they want to do) and being out of work since March, Social Security still months off and no income, not happening. I will however be at the doctor next Thursday and will be meeting with all of the various agencies that have had dealings with my son. I will be filing for custody next week.
Good luck with the custody situation.

Thanks for the write up on Autism, it seems like far too often it is considered more of a mental handicap than a social one.

Last edited by shmike; 12-10-2010 at 01:10 PM..
shmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:14 PM   #23
TommyHotWheel
Imported from Detroit

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Good luck with the custody situation.

Thanks for the write up on Autism, I too was under the impression that it caused or was caused by lower than normal brain function.
Thanks, and what I described was just my son, but Autism, for the most part, is not due to lowered brain function. Many people nowadays are considered Autistic when in the past they would have been known as socially awkward nerds or dorks. I have seen cases much more extreme than my son...kids cant even interact with their own parents, so it seems like they are what would be considered "Retarded". Its so multifaceted and convoluted, that you really dont have a true definition of Autism/Aperger's syndrome, so please, dont confuse my explanation with fact, its just my experience with my son.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:21 PM   #24
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyHotWheel View Post
Thanks, and what I described was just my son, but Autism, for the most part, is not due to lowered brain function. Many people nowadays are considered Autistic when in the past they would have been known as socially awkward nerds or dorks. I have seen cases much more extreme than my son...kids cant even interact with their own parents, so it seems like they are what would be considered "Retarded". Its so multifaceted and convoluted, that you really dont have a true definition of Autism/Aperger's syndrome, so please, dont confuse my explanation with fact, its just my experience with my son.

Gotcha.

I actually edited my post while you were replying.

After seeing the movie about Temple Grandin, "lower brain function" is certainly not the phrasing I should have used.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:24 PM   #25
TommyHotWheel
Imported from Detroit

Actually, one of the crazier treatments in respect to Autism is...marijuana. I am not a fan of pot, but there are treatments to some of the lower functioning, more extreme cases of ASD. It calms the patient and relaxes them, it has been shown to relieve violent tendencies and increase learning and social skills. Administered in correct doses, it is a miracle for lower function Autistics and their families.http://www.showmethefacts.org/medica...-facts/autism/

Old 12-10-2010, 01:32 PM   #26
TommyHotWheel
Imported from Detroit

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Gotcha.

I actually edited my post while you were replying.

After seeing the movie about Temple Grandin, "lower brain function" is certainly not the phrasing I should have used.
Dude, no problem, I have an Autistic son, nephew and a guy I worked with...and I learn more every day. If you done interact with it, its nothing I think many people would search out. There are cool stories like Temple Grandin and Darryl Hannah and Kim Peek. here is a link to a list of some famous and some not so famous people with Autism spectrum Disorder and Asperger's Sydrome.
http://www.child-autism-parent-cafe....th-autism.html