Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 02-13-2011, 12:39 PM   #21
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

And here is a good write up on how different solvents effect o-rings in a chain.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345397
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:44 PM   #22
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

I think I've lubed mine a total of 3 times in 13k Miles. So far so good...Although I think my clutch is on its way out.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:47 PM   #23
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixxxxer View Post
I think I've lubed mine a total of 3 times in 13k Miles. So far so good...Although I think my clutch is on its way out.
The clutch is just the way your ride, If I remember correctly, your bike only has like 30k on it
Old 02-13-2011, 12:54 PM   #24
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

Lol...I wish I had 30k on it.

It has 13...But Ive taken it to the Dragstrip a half dozen times...Getting the hang of launching it and slipping the clutch out without hurting it is something I didnt get the hang of immediately. But I know I was rough on her for most of those 13 thousand miles.

I dont however wanna get assfucked by a dealer fixing it...I've never done a clutch in a car let alone a bike so I'd have no idea where to begin.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:07 PM   #25
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Lol...I wish I had 30k on it.

It has 13...But Ive taken it to the Dragstrip a half dozen times...Getting the hang of launching it and slipping the clutch out without hurting it is something I didnt get the hang of immediately. But I know I was rough on her for most of those 13 thousand miles.

I dont however wanna get assfucked by a dealer fixing it...I've never done a clutch in a car let alone a bike so I'd have no idea where to begin.
http://www.repairmanualclub.com/motomanuals/
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #26
derf
token jewboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
I have the clymer or haynes manual for every bike Ive owned, not 100% but it will get me to what I need
Old 02-14-2011, 12:44 PM   #27
RedRider2k2
Holier Than Thou

Moto: 06 ZX10R, 18 400 Ninja, 11 KLX250s

Quote:
I've never done a clutch in a car let alone a bike so I'd have no idea where to begin.
WAY easier in a bike than a Car.

As for Chain Maintenance, I can be pretty bad at it sometimes. When I'm taking care of a chain I've put on I try to keep it clean once in a while but then I spray on a bit of Chain Wax which defeats the purpose of cleaning it. By the end of the day the Chain Wax turns black from all the dirt sticking to it. I really dont think it's doing much for the life of the Chain. I might go the route of a few people I've met who do nothing but keep the chain clean. No real lubing to speak of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Every time someone loses a chain they,

A. ALWAYS claim that the chain and sprockets were perfectly maintained and that the chain was correctly adjusted.

B. ALWAYS claim that the chain was correctly installed using a rivet link and the proper tools.

C. ALWAYS claim that the chain wasn't showing ANY signs of wear, kinks nor was worn/stretched out.
Well you can't say "Everytime" anymore

I've lost a chain (Maybe I should say "Almost lost"? You decide.)

A. I already admitted my chain maintenance can be weak...My sprockets were fine though.

B. The Chain was properly installed...With a Clip Link. (It was on a 600 Bandit. I still have nothing against this method in some applications.)

C. The Chain was showing wear and getting stiff near the Master Link.

Now, first of all, this was all my fault. When I bought the chain I was in a hurry to get it on because I had a weekend ride planned. When it came in they sent the wrong master link. The dealership I ordered it from managed to dig up pieces of 2 other master links. Both the same Manufacturer as the chain but one side plate was from another model of chain. I checked them over and decided it would work. I put it together and it did. It worked so well I never bothered to replace it, just kept an eye on it. This lasted for tens of thousands of KMs. Then I noticed the Master link starting to get stiff. At that point I started looking for a deal on a new chain. One weekend though I was out for a ride and noticed a vibration. I pulled over and found half the Clip broken off. (Like it had been hit with something?) We were about 1.5 hours from home but luckily near a Suzuki dealer and they gave me a Clip free of charge. I put it on and headed for home, stopping often to check it. We were about 20 minutes from home and it still looked fine so we decided to head straight home since my friend was feeling sick. I pulled in my driveway and looked at the chain only to find no clip at all. I poked it with my finger a couple of times and the chain fell off. Close call.

Wow that was long winded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Link.jpg (40.3 KB, 40 views)
RedRider2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:07 PM   #28
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Moto: '12 KX450F / 08 YZ250F #512 / 07 KX65 #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lefty View Post
A LOT of offroad riders and dualsport riders don't lube their chain due to 1. like Tsmall said, the lube is already there and 2. the lube just make dirt and grime stick to the chain wearing it out faster.

I've had two chains on the DRZ in 21000 miles and I cleaned/lubed them once a week.

a fellow DRZ rider down here only rides off road but has about 10000 on his chain never lubed... just cleaned...

YMMV
Actually I lube it at least twice a day out at the track. I use non-o ring chains and there is no perma-lube. If I don't lube the chain, the heat causes bad stretching and sharks my rear sprockets something bad. I have a thread in the dirt forum about my last sprocket and out 49 teeth it was supposed to have, ended up with only 13.

I recommend lube but I also recommend a "grunge" brush specifically for chains and religious cleaning of them as well.
TYEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #29
derf
token jewboy

Well I recommend putting the bike on a rear stand, drop it in 1st, and use a rag to clean any dirt off.
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:32 PM   #30
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRider2k2 View Post

Well you can't say "Everytime" anymore
Cool! An honest person!

I won't name any names but there's a guy that keeps posting pics of a jacked up rusty looking chain that supposedly broke when it was perfectly cared for, maintained and was well with in spec for stretching...
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote