Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-18-2010, 10:05 AM   #371
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

The JRT is not a great "family" dog. If you plan to have them around small children and other people not family they require extensive amounts of socialization. They typically bond to a single person, and even when well trained and socialized can be crotchety and aggressive towards other animals. They can also be very vocal. You couldnt go further from a Golden unless you got a hyena.

Dont get me wrong, they can be great lil dogs, but they require much work, training and socialization to ensure they dont randomly bite people or bark their heads off.

Edit to add: and they are extemely intelligent, to the extent of problem solving their way into trouble. I swear my lil guy would work out the master plan, make my big dogs do the grunt work, and they'd all escape from their kennel. The lab would hold the bottom of the gate up with her shoulder, the collie would use his nose to open the latch, and the jack would hit the fence till it opened. Kid you not.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:11 AM   #372
caveman
mmmm, Beeeer

Moto: 08 HD Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chi View Post
The JRT is not a great "family" dog. If you plan to have them around small children and other people not family they require extensive amounts of socialization. They typically bond to a single person, and even when well trained and socialized can be crotchety and aggressive towards other animals. They can also be very vocal. You couldnt go further from a Golden unless you got a hyena.

Dont get me wrong, they can be great lil dogs, but they require much work, training and socialization to ensure they dont randomly bite people or bark their heads off.

Edit to add: and they are extemely intelligent, to the extent of problem solving their way into trouble. I swear my lil guy would work out the master plan, make my big dogs do the grunt work, and they'd all escape from their kennel. The lab would hold the bottom of the gate up with her shoulder, the collie would use his nose to open the latch, and the jack would hit the fence till it opened. Kid you not.

Yeah I know its a stretch from the golden, but I love the little guys so full of personality and energy. something that would be good to get me off the couch or the computer and out for some exercise.
My kids are 5 and 11 and they have been around neighbor animals a lot like Gas' monstrosity of a mongrel, Brinks (conne corse, SP?). they know how to manage around animals that could be dangerous so I imagine if I got a JRT Pup he would bond ok to them. But, as it would be MY dog as long as he bonds well to me I would be happy.

Caveman

caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:23 AM   #373
the chi
Forum Coach

Get a lab. Same personality, less risk of bites. Better for kids.

Honestly tho, if you want a smaller dog, do some research. There are tons of great dogs that arent as well known and are perfect for individuals and families alike.

My lil one is a Papillon, not real well known, but the males of the breed carry all the characteristics you are looking for without having to worry about aggressiveness. The females of the breed tend to bond more to one person, but are equally friendly.

Here's my girl:

And theres always a ton of dogs needing love at your local shelter.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:32 AM   #374
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:

We have two JRTs and what you just described does not fit for either of them. Both are excellent with children; in fact, they absolutely love playing with the neighborhood kids and our friends' small children. They are friendly to 95% of the dogs they've encountered. Only one of them gets a little testy (the more intelligent one), just around certain dogs she doesn't seem to like, for whatever reason. They've never bitten anyone. While they will run and play for as long as we want them to (when it's time for that), they will also lay around and chill all day, if that's what we are doing. I can see where many JRTs may fall in line with what you posted, as I've met many of them.

They say dogs reflect their owner's personalities; I guess that's true. My wife and I are pretty easy going people and we both despise drama. Must be the same with babies, because our newborn is the calmest and most relaxed baby any of our friends, neighbors and family has seen. Unlike the high-maintenance newborn babies our friends have; sitting on the sideline and watching them, it's easy to see how they have made their children that way. OMG, she just let out a little noise - quick, shove a bottle in her mouth. Oh no, it's 11:45, time for his nap - he has to go down now, and we have to shut the blinds and turn down the noise. Have to sit the baby this certain way when she eats - the book says so. And so on, and so on, and so on. I dunno, I think I'm just rambling at this point, so I'll stop now.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:43 AM   #375
Mudpuppy
South of Heaven

Moto: 2006 Yamaha R1 50th Anniversary Edition

Learn about photography: ATP Members
Mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:43 AM   #376
caveman
mmmm, Beeeer

Moto: 08 HD Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNetworX View Post
We have two JRTs and what you just described does not fit for either of them. Both are excellent with children; in fact, they absolutely love playing with the neighborhood kids and our friends' small children. They are friendly to 95% of the dogs they've encountered. Only one of them gets a little testy (the more intelligent one), just around certain dogs she doesn't seem to like, for whatever reason. They've never bitten anyone. While they will run and play for as long as we want them to (when it's time for that), they will also lay around and chill all day, if that's what we are doing. I can see where many JRTs may fall in line with what you posted, as I've met many of them.

They say dogs reflect their owner's personalities; I guess that's true. My wife and I are pretty easy going people and we both despise drama. Must be the same with babies, because our newborn is the calmest and most relaxed baby any of our friends, neighbors and family has seen. Unlike the high-maintenance newborn babies our friends have; sitting on the sideline and watching them, it's easy to see how they have made their children that way. OMG, she just let out a little noise - quick, shove a bottle in her mouth. Oh no, it's 11:45, time for his nap - he has to go down now, and we have to shut the blinds and turn down the noise. Have to sit the baby this certain way when she eats - the book says so. And so on, and so on, and so on. I dunno, I think I'm just rambling at this point, so I'll stop now.
I hear ya about the reflection of what the parents do for the kids. The dogs too. I have two kids that were pretty good as babes but as they get their own personality I am liking them less and less.

As for the dog.... I really like the short hair of the JRT and the small stature. I am not a big fan of the Marmaduke (Brinks{For Gas}Sized) dogs. And I like the fact that if I decide to have a lazy day, and I have many of those, then they are cool with that as well as the oh we gonna go run? lets do eet. attitudes.

any how I like the Papillon you have too Rae. Looks like a cool little doggie.

Caveman

caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:24 AM   #377
the chi
Forum Coach

Lee, you are one lucky person to have "laid back" jacks, I am only pointing out that 98% of Jacks are NOT that way. Think major short man's disease. Mine was great until he saw a pitt bull, then he wanted to go all apeshit. As far as people went he was fine as well, but those traits are in the minority for most of the breed.

Thank you, she is. And perfect for those lazy days as well. She's a big dog when she needs to be, flushing quail and such with our mutt on our walks, but when momma wants to lay on the couch, she's prefectly content sleeping the day away.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:09 PM   #378
Razor
Token

Moto: '07 Kawasaki Mean Streak Special Edition

Quote:
Get a lab. Same personality, less risk of bites. Better for kids.

Honestly tho, if you want a smaller dog, do some research. There are tons of great dogs that arent as well known and are perfect for individuals and families alike.

My lil one is a Papillon, not real well known, but the males of the breed carry all the characteristics you are looking for without having to worry about aggressiveness. The females of the breed tend to bond more to one person, but are equally friendly.

Here's my girl:

And theres always a ton of dogs needing love at your local shelter.
I'll second that
Old 06-18-2010, 05:19 PM   #379
HokieDNA01
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750

I used to work at a vet and there was nothing that got me more worried then a JRT coming through the door. I always ended up bloody.

2014 Honda NC700X
2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750
2000 Yamaha XT225
2004 Kawasaki EX250 (sold)
HokieDNA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:25 PM   #380
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Max apparently loves metalocalypse

Dave is offline   Reply With Quote