Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 03-25-2008, 04:40 PM   #31
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
He wouldn't have any luck pulling that here in Texas... quite a few guys I ride with carry in their tankbags - two have holsters under arm. It sure would be fun to see though, wouldn't it?
We carry here as well, but if you carry you know that you can't just whip your gun out in a whim and start firing. It's nice to think you can be John Wayne though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:47 PM   #32
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
We carry here as well, but if you carry you know that you can't just whip your gun out in a whim and start firing. It's nice to think you can be John Wayne though.
Carry the shit in the hip holster on your left side. Sure, shooting lefthanded is kinda tough unless you're a leftie, but it's pointblank range, so it's all good.

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:21 PM   #33
Mrs. Colleen
Leather and Lace

Moto: 2005 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
It's my understanding that it's legal in Cali, but I read somewhere the law states 10-20 mph faster than the traffic is moving. This guy was going well above that. I can certainly understand splitting lanes and I've done it a time or two, but never at those speeds. However, it is illegal here in Indiana.
I think (could be wrong) that you can only legally go 5-10 mph faster than traffic when lane splitting.

I am still too new to lane split so I don't know all the rules about it.

Just found this on the CHP FAQ site...
Quote:
Can motorcycle riders "split" lanes and ride between other vehicles?

Lane splitting by motorcycles is permissible but must be done in a safe and prudent manner.
Mrs. Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:07 PM   #34
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
The point is, if the douchebag brandishes a weapon in the manner described, you wouldn't then just be whipping it out on a whim The other guy is teh suck though, not arguing that point.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:56 PM   #35
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

There are no speed limits in California for lane splitting. It's "reasonable and prudence", whatever the hell that means. It probably means that when everybody is crawling at 5-MPH and you're doing 50, it ain't good.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:09 PM   #36
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Is any speed?
from what I was told by a CHiP motorcycle officer... you can do 5-10 over what the car your passing is doing... and you can't lane split if the cars are doing over 20mph...

so even in Cali he was Illegal. and fucking stupid.

I agree that lane splitting should be legal... but it's because of morons like him... that I doubt it will ever be legal out side of california
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:47 AM   #37
lauralynne
667:Neighbor of the Beast

Moto: VTR1000, SV650, FZR400, CRF150

Lane splitting is NOT legal in CA. It's just not ILLEGAL. There's a big difference.

I routinely work with a group of people here in WA and have testified on behalf of lane splitting but it still hasn't passed up here. One of the problems is that there's never been a study for OR against lane splitting. So there's no hard core evidence for either side. Then emotions get involved and people like this fucktard give people the impression that lane splitting is dangerous.

Even if we get lane splitting legal in WA, I won't be likely to do it. Too many pissed off drivers up here. In CA, like has been mentioned, people move for you. You get plenty of space, they see you, and it's safe and sane. When we tour through CA, it's amazingly easy to tell who the out of staters are, one of them actually swerved to run me off the road as we were leaving Laguna Seca. I've never seen Louie park his bike and get off of it so fast. I just went on the shoulder, gassed it a little and got back on the road in front of the offender. Calmed Louie down and we went on our merry way and continued to lane split the line of cars out of the track.

That douche was definately an out of towner.

Married my best friend 8/30/09
lauralynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:03 PM   #38
fnfalman
Europhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralynne View Post
Lane splitting is NOT legal in CA. It's just not ILLEGAL. There's a big difference.
Exactly!!!

But there are codes (that I don't remember the actual numerical titles off my head) that said if there are enough room, two vehicles (not specific to the type of vehicle) may share the lane in various conditions.

So, if you're not splitting lane like a jackass, even at higher speeds, the cops are not going to bug you. But if you're weaving in and out, braking and accelerating, the whole Valentino Rossi thing, you're gonna get a ticket.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:20 PM   #39
t-homo
WSB Champion

I have yet to lane split because I live in a small town and rarely encounter heavy traffic. I think it should be legal up to 10-15 mph over the speed, but at 60 is retarded.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:40 PM   #40
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Yeah, I think Kyle was at the overlook when some crazy old man in a Chrysler 300 pulled a gun on everyone and said someone was getting shot if they tried to pass him.
I carry a Shiny 44magnum Revolver with me whenever I ride great distances. I'd be willing to play "My gun is bigger than your gun" with him. Crazy fucks.

I rarely lane split and if I do it's usually 3-4 cars to catch up with my group.

I will say I am split with lane splitting(Good one huh?). Part of me wants it because hell I'm on a bike and that woudl rule. The other part of me thinks "What if I'm in a nice car like a Mercedes, Ferrari, or even a nice truck" and some punk kid with a $1000 bike is coming within a few inches of my $100,000+ car.