Taters whore does all the work for me, so I don't need no stinkin job. 1 3.85%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-25-2010, 05:19 PM   #31
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
It says that the position is in charge of meeting deadlines for product completion of show and press release product. Some weekends could be part of this job, but showing off a new product to dealers and press is something I would LOVE!
I have always wanted to be "that guy" from the factory showing off the new toys to the dealers/press.
I think you just answered your own question

Flip a coin... when you find yourself wanting two out of three, you have your answer.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:49 PM   #32
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

Dude, if you have the chance at a federal slot or an AGR position do it. Doing what you love is anything but I've realized that I can learn to love anything that gives me the lifestyle I want. On the flip side, I canearn to hate anything that works my ass off yet leaves me broke. Case in point, I hate desk jobs, but I love the weekends, evenings and holidays off my current desk job affords me. I loved fixing jets and deploying all the time but I love paying my bills and hanging out with my wife and kid more. Just my opinion.
Amorok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:06 PM   #33
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Something else to consider... you're 27 and probably don't have but maybe 10-15 years before "retirement." I wish I'd never gotten out of the AF after being in for 7 years. I'd have 4 years left till "retirement," then I could go find a different job and not worry about having enough money because I'd have the retirement pay. It would have been worth it to stay in, without a doubt. Now, if you're under the new plan, where you don't get the retirement pay until you're in your 60's, you won't see the immediate benefit after putting in the extra years, but it will still be worth it in the end. I had people tell me all this when I was your age. Wish I'd listened to them.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:01 PM   #34
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
Something else to consider... you're 27 and probably don't have but maybe 10-15 years before "retirement." I wish I'd never gotten out of the AF after being in for 7 years. I'd have 4 years left till "retirement," then I could go find a different job and not worry about having enough money because I'd have the retirement pay. It would have been worth it to stay in, without a doubt. Now, if you're under the new plan, where you don't get the retirement pay until you're in your 60's, you won't see the immediate benefit after putting in the extra years, but it will still be worth it in the end. I had people tell me all this when I was your age. Wish I'd listened to them.
AMEN! I may never forgive myself for getting out of the Army after 10 years. I had my reasons at the time but looking back now they all seems so childish and petty.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:19 PM   #35
ericr
I'm so much cooler online

Moto: 06 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
AMEN! I may never forgive myself for getting out of the Army after 10 years. I had my reasons at the time but looking back now they all seems so childish and petty.
Yeah, did my 8 yrs in the AF Reserves but should have cross trained and stayed in for the retirement. I was just fed up with my unit...I could have gotten a position with another unit easy enough and should have. I'd be at 11 yrs now.

Eric: ibu what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
but I'm perfectly placed when I'm on my knees . . . .
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:09 AM   #36
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

I was glad to get out of the Army, even though I had fun and learned a bunch of stuff. They even offered me a promotion and a ton of money (at the time) to re-up. But I didn't join, I was drafted. I wanted to go to college and get a job doing what I wanted to do, not what the Army wanted me to do.

Plus, being a veteran, I got paid to go to school. It got me a job in the Veteran's Office at community college, and got me a job in the Geology Office at University. And I got preference over non-veterans for a great Government job in a place where I wanted to work. Finding out there were twisty roads out here was just icing on the cake.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:38 AM   #37
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
This is definitely a consideration. I spent only 4 1/2 years in the USMC and thought "no way I will be here for 20 -30 years...that's forever !!" Well I've now been with the company I work for...for well over 20 years.

Some guys that work here are retired military and not only get this check but the governments as well.

However if I would have stayed in I could have gotten killed too. Tough decisions to be made in life for sure...good luck.

I voted to at least apply for the other position and find out the particulars.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:26 AM   #38
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorok View Post
Dude, if you have the chance at a federal slot or an AGR position do it. Doing what you love is anything but I've realized that I can learn to love anything that gives me the lifestyle I want. On the flip side, I canearn to hate anything that works my ass off yet leaves me broke. Case in point, I hate desk jobs, but I love the weekends, evenings and holidays off my current desk job affords me. I loved fixing jets and deploying all the time but I love paying my bills and hanging out with my wife and kid more. Just my opinion.
I already have the federal tech spot. I start 30 days after REFRAD.
But there are a few things with this. 1. no real upward movement. 2. I want to be able to do more than be a "guard bum" 3. it really doesn't pay that well. so all the "time off" will be spent at job #2. 4. Have to stay in the guard to keep my job.

Quote:
I have 10 years left to get my 20 yr letter.
I would have to work at my fed tech job for about 27 years to get that retirement.
So... if I put in my next 10 yrs, and decide to get out, I can't if I'm in the tech spot.

I am going to apply for it and see how it goes. If I get the job, I'll check it out when I get home and make the decision from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:41 PM   #39
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Here's a question...are you even qualified for this job, no offense?
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:28 AM   #40
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Here's a question...are you even qualified for this job, no offense?
Yes.
I meet all but one required skills listed (not fluent in Japanese) and have past experience in the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote