101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:54 AM   #33
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
I was hoping his engine would seize.
Again, it's a 2 stroke. The engine side of things is lubed by the oil being burned in the gas.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:56 AM   #34
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
Again, it's a 2 stroke. The engine side of things is lubed by the oil being burned in the gas.
2-strokes seize. They cold seize. They hot seize. They're loads of fun when they seize, and you're doing 160 Kmh. I imagine that they'd be even more fun if they seize when doing a wheelie.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:15 AM   #35
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
2-strokes seize. They cold seize. They hot seize. They're loads of fun when they seize, and you're doing 160 Kmh. I imagine that they'd be even more fun if they seize when doing a wheelie.
I know they seize. I also know that it's rare for them to do it at any other time than coasting, over heating or being run too hard without proper warm up.

I'm just saying, it's not likely to seize from oil starvation due to a wheelie like a 4-stroke would.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:21 AM   #36
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
I know they seize. I also know that it's rare for them to do it at any other time than coasting, over heating or being run too hard without proper warm up.

I'm just saying, it's not likely to seize from oil starvation due to a wheelie like a 4-stroke would.
The only 4-stroke, that I've ever heard of seizing, was my own '97 GS1200F Bandit. I've lost count of the number of 2-strokes, that I've seen seize. Most were racebikes, while others tended to be street 2-strokes that people played with the oil ratios of.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:42 AM   #37
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
The only 4-stroke, that I've ever heard of seizing, was my own '97 GS1200F Bandit. I've lost count of the number of 2-strokes, that I've seen seize. Most were racebikes, while others tended to be street 2-strokes that people played with the oil ratios of.
He was riding a dirtbike, homie. If you want to talk street bikes, I agree 100%. The average 4 stroke street bike would likely run for some time without oil and not suffer too badly.

But, when you get to 4 stroke mx bikes, piston changes and the like are on a 12-15 hour schedule. Essentially, you're supposed to change out major engine components more often than you're supposed to change the oil on a street bike.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:45 AM   #38
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
He was riding a dirtbike, homie. If you want to talk street bikes, I agree 100%. The average 4 stroke street bike would likely run for some time without oil and not suffer too badly.

But, when you get to 4 stroke mx bikes, piston changes and the like are on a 12-15 hour schedule. Essentially, you're supposed to change out major engine components more often than you're supposed to change the oil on a street bike.
Why is that anyway 12-15hrs doesnt seem like a lot of time even for a dirt bike?
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #39
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
Why is that anyway 12-15hrs doesnt seem like a lot of time even for a dirt bike?
Unless you're racing, you don't really need to follow the maintenance schedule too closely.

Why it is? I think it has to do with the high state of tune and the lightness of the components. I think my Kx redlines somewhere near 12k and makes about 60hp and it uses one whole quart of oil. It essentially has the same hp to displacement ratio of a sportbike. Then they use things like titanium valves for lightness, when SS lasts much longer, but doesn't rev as freely.

Hell, I change my oil every three hours since I trail ride and the cooling system doesn't work so well unless you're humming along. Which is longer than my spark plug maintenance schedule, which calls for cleaning, inspection and regapping every 2.5 hours.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #40
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:

The racebikes, that I'm talking about, were 125 and 250 GP bikes running premix. You do a top-end on a GP bike roughly every 300 track miles, unless you notice that there's an issue before then. The tires last longer than that.