Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-14-2010, 11:56 AM   #411
caveman
mmmm, Beeeer

Moto: 08 HD Ultra
Default Dog breed settled upon.....MAYBE

I think after a little research, and I do mean little, that I want a blue heeler. Or an Australian herding dog. They are of medium size ranging from 40-55 #s, short hair, good with a family and good at defending the home. Plays well, with other animals that its familiar with and is very trainable. Usually attaches to one member of the family more than another but still is a good family dog. Needs at least 30 min a day of good solid exercise, which will help me get off my fat butt and lose some weight I have put on over the past 6 or so years from leaving the Army. Is ok with a basic yard as long as the previous situation is met satisfactorily. But is also ok with just loungin around the house too. I want a pooch bad. My family had a cat when I was a kid as my Pops always said, "Dogs are too much work, gotta walk em, gotta clean up their shit, and are always too needy." To which I would always reply, "but cats are just too damned moody, and if they don't want to get any attention then F you and leave me alone." My thoughts were they are too much like women. Don't get me wrong some cats are very cool, have great personalities and make cool pets for those that are very independant themselves. Thats not me, I love the thought that if I need some my pet to give companionship, I can call on it to come and just be there layin with me to chill or go out for some play time or whatever.
Dog seems to be the only pet that I would ever need.
If there is anyone out there that has had a Heeler and think I am off base or don't know what the hell I may be getting myself into, please, by all means, help wake me up.

Caveman

caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:10 PM   #412
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Heelers are awesome, and very intelligent. You can train them to do just about anything. Thats pretty much the only dog any of my family owns except me. Red ones are gorgeous but rare.

If possible, check the parents out, sometimes they can be a little odd in the head. Some friends have one that stares at the wall all day and attacks shadows, aunt had one that would randomly attack tires (bicycles with children attached, trailer tires, truck tires, etc.) But thats not limited to heelers.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.

Last edited by the chi; 07-14-2010 at 12:18 PM..
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:16 PM   #413
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGregman View Post
Nasty bastard...why do dogs do that?!
Learned it from watching you?
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:23 PM   #414
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

I have a blue heeler/aussie cattle dog mutt....he's a great dog....I rescued him from the Humane Society when he was maybe 4 months old? He's smart...and playful...good with people...just a great friend.
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:33 PM   #415
caveman
mmmm, Beeeer

Moto: 08 HD Ultra

Right, I don't need one that is AKC certified stupid. I don't care if there is some mutt mix in there. I don't need to say, "look at my dog, I spent $1200on him and he's dumb as a board." I like the mutts more as they usually have a lot more personallity than a postage stamp like some show dogs that I have seen.

Caveman

caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:52 PM   #416
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chi View Post
Soooo, as I am sure most of you have gathered by now, I am a huge bleeding heart for hard cases and I LOVE animals.

Couple weeks ago the hubby and I were camping down in Ocala Natl Forest, an ATV weekend, and we found this guy, ribs all poking out, bald in places, hip bones ready to pop out of his skin, and me being me, I started feeding him, made a few calls, and ended up homing him with with some people we know. I just couldnt leave him out there starving to death.

He's a pretty interesting fellow, one helluva cooler thief (we thought he was a bear stealing into our cooler.) Very docile, at least he was when starving, trained and overall seems like a great dog. He didnt work out with the folks we homed him with, and since the hubby and I were both taken with him, he's back at our place.

We found his owner, she doesnt want him, lived not far from where he was starving to death, I'm sure theres more to the story, but this is apparently his third home, and we are hoping to keep him so long as he works out. Booger is about 75 pounds or so and gets to around 95 when well fed. This is him visiting me at the office yesterday. How can you resist this face?
You sound about like me. Last fall we rescued those 2 pups that had been dumped while camping. Then the end of May I was out running one morning and came home to a dog in my yard. We kept him for 2 weeks tryign to locate the his owner, finally did. Fortunately it was a happier story than yours with the owner wanted him back and that it was an accident he got out of his cage. I'm a sucker for helping animals like this but can never keep them because of my mean old Max. He is one grouchy dog.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:11 PM   #417
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

We are officially looking for a dog not sure how max and domino are going to handle this but I've had decent luck socializing before
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:31 PM   #418
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Oooh oooh, I've got one for you!!! Meet you halfway?
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:42 PM   #419
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chi View Post
Oooh oooh, I've got one for you!!! Meet you halfway?
Tempting but no, we're looking for an apbt. Met this really sweet 4 year old female last night but we decided to keep looking around and see what's out there
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:41 PM   #420
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Speaking of "rolling around in stuff"...several years ago I had an Alaskan Malamute and we were visiting some people that lived near a river and were out hiking around and checking the place out. I saw Ninja...yes his name was Ninja rolling around in something...thought it was just grass but upon closer inspection saw that it was a dead fish !!

Yes that was fun trying to get out of all of that fur.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote