Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Touring

Old 11-12-2008, 08:43 AM   #41
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
nice sarcasm there. i can stay on it all day, even with the stock seat. however this whole thread is a loose excuse to stuff another bike in my garage.
There was no sarcasm... The 954 was a very capable tourer... the only real gripe I had was that the range was pretty lousy... 120 or so miles, it's time to find a gas station...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:10 AM   #42
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Man, that's such an awful stereotype.
Whats aweful, it my busa JUST had chrome wheels (bought it that way...hell it looked nice with the color scheme) and it attracted thugs and ballahs like a moth to a flame.

I had to get rid of the busa (despite liking it about the best of any bike I've had) because I knew I'd park it somewhere and go in a store for 5 minutes...come out..and it'd be GONE!
CasterTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:32 AM   #43
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
There was no sarcasm... The 954 was a very capable tourer... the only real gripe I had was that the range was pretty lousy... 120 or so miles, it's time to find a gas station...
ah my apologys. you only get 120 out of yours? thats about when my light comes on. not quite sure how much reserve it has over that though.
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:45 AM   #44
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

Quote:
dont be so shocked. a friend has one. heavy ugly and constantly broken. 2 of 3 i can deal with buttt...

and i actually like the fjr. just havent had a chance to get up close to one yet
Yeah but that Was a Molested Bike...You find one in better shape and you'd be ok...I like the VFR's A little Funny Looking but there a Neat Machine.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:17 PM   #45
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

ZX-11D1 rider here.

At this point I'd recomend everyone to stay away from them, but it's been a great ride for me for those long trips. Averages 42-50MPG and has a big old 6.1 gallon tank (do the math).
Soaks up the miles as 500+ lbs of obese motorcycle smooths out the ride. Not too bad in the handling department (for the age and weight of the bike).

Plus for those overnight stays....thieves have trouble moving the thing.

Just to make sure you understand...under no circumstances should you consider a ZX-11D. Expect worn suspensions, rods about to be thrown, 100-200lbs of junk in the trunk (they are easy to work on, decent power delivery and cheap to insure)
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:12 PM   #46
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

interesting, i'll likely keep it in consideration as i have no issues rebuilding shit. just have to add a check into parts supply via bike bandit or similar
TWF Post whore #6
Old 11-12-2008, 05:15 PM   #47
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
interesting, i'll likely keep it in consideration as i have no issues rebuilding shit. just have to add a check into parts supply via bike bandit or similar
but this being a sport touring... reliability should be your TOP concern... it's more likely that a rod isn't gonna throw in your driveway... more likely 150 miles from the nearest parts store in BFE Kansas.

just something to keep in mind.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:39 PM   #48
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
ah my apologys. you only get 120 out of yours? thats about when my light comes on. not quite sure how much reserve it has over that though.
Depends on how I'm riding and if I have good gas... That was probably most of the problem during the trip... Crap gas and I hardly ever took it out of 3rd gear...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:29 PM   #49
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
but this being a sport touring... reliability should be your TOP concern... it's more likely that a rod isn't gonna throw in your driveway... more likely 150 miles from the nearest parts store in BFE Kansas.

just something to keep in mind.
i seem to produce some kind of electrical field where engines only fail in my driveway. to be honest as long as it had a fresh oil pump and good lube id trust just about anything
TWF Post whore #6
Old 11-12-2008, 10:33 PM   #50
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Depends on how I'm riding and if I have good gas... That was probably most of the problem during the trip... Crap gas and I hardly ever took it out of 3rd gear...
if im cruising (highway) i'll usually kick up to 6th to try and offset any asshole moments. rest of times i tend to keep it around 6000. good noise comprimise, decent passing power and just a kick and a twist away from the meat of the powerband...just in case
TWF Post whore #6