Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 01-26-2010, 06:25 PM   #41
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
Because electric cars won't be marketable to the masses until they are on par with gas cars. To really gain a foothold they have to convince the general public that they are a value (or cheap enough to be fashionable for the upper middle class) to buy. Everyone I know that has a hybrid bought it as a second car or is trying to convince me that they save money on gas, which is true, until you factor in the extra 10k cost of the car vs a comparable gas model.

And if the car company and people really wanted to save on gas, VW sells a diesle in europe that gets 75mpg on a regular diesle engine. The tech is there, but car companies don't think thats what we really want.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blog...s/4219904.html

I know there are diesels out there. The US doesn't seem to want to go that way.

I would like to get a diesel...under the hood of a Peterbilt.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:31 PM   #42
Flexin
AMA Supersport

BTW the reason I like the car because they are trying to do something other companies are doing but do it a bit different.

To win over gas lovers they need a fun ride. Yes they need to work on the range but they all need to do that.

People seem to think that I love this car because its going to save the world. I have an suv sitting in my driveway. I just think its a cool little car. I wouldn't mind owning a Lotus.

James
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Old 01-26-2010, 07:23 PM   #43
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
To win over gas lovers they need a fun ride.
I disagree with this. Look at the vehicles that sell the largest volume. They are trucks, Accords, Camrys, etc.. The majority of vehicles sold in America are boring as shit. To win over internal combustion buyers it needs to be practical and comparably priced. The Tesla is neither.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:32 PM   #44
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
I disagree with this. Look at the vehicles that sell the largest volume. They are trucks, Accords, Camrys, etc.. The majority of vehicles sold in America are boring as shit. To win over internal combustion buyers it needs to be practical and comparably priced. The Tesla is neither.
I disagree. BTW I love trucks. But I think they need something exciting to make some people change their minds. Not that it will sell millions but it can help make electric exciting.

James
Old 01-26-2010, 08:49 PM   #45
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
Make that 4 cylinder\automatic transmission Camry and Accords and contractor white, base engine\lowest end V8 trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:21 PM   #46
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

I knew you fuggers would have opinions.

I will have to say that I have skipped over 90% of the posts.
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:36 PM   #47
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

So if as you say, you pay as much attention to us, as you do your husband...then why bother asking?
Old 01-26-2010, 09:46 PM   #48
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
So if as you say, you pay as much attention to us, as you do your husband...then why bother asking?
Good point...however I only tune my husband out when he starts talking about boring things. I can't remember what his rant was about, but it didn't have anything to do with the actual car, so I lost interest.

And I was hoping that I would care about this discussion, but as it turns out I really don't.
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:14 PM   #49
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
Electricity is not clean energy.
to the sheep masses it is because they don't "see" the processes for creating said energy.

As George Carlin said: "Not in my back yard" indeed.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:47 PM   #50
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
I disagree. BTW I love trucks. But I think they need something exciting to make some people change their minds. Not that it will sell millions but it can help make electric exciting.

James
People who know cars, the typical performance car buyer, aren't going to buy the Tesla (or a hybrid). I'm not saying I am indicative of every gearhead, but if I personally felt the need to be "green" and decided to go out and buy a guiltmobile it still wouldn't be a Tesla. For that kind of money I can get an Elise, trackdays for the next few years, and buy enough carbon credits to plant a forest the size of Al Gore's ego.

Ultimately I think the Tesla was designed for celebrities. The kind of person who parks it in between their Prius with 2k miles and their Escalade with 30k miles but is celebrated for their "awareness". It boils down to the fact that there is a pretty good chance my bike is more "green" than any of them, but is viewed as part of the "problem", not part of the "solution".
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote