Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 09-09-2009, 11:51 PM   #41
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Here's how someone in Denver did their CB550: http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/1366748468.html.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:42 AM   #42
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

I talked to my dad last night and we are planning to *try* and rebuild 6 carbs this weekend....we'll see how that goes.
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:39 AM   #43
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
Here's how someone in Denver did their CB550: http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/1366748468.html.
while that is delicious theres an extreme lack of betty page wannabees in that picture
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:31 AM   #44
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Heather... all sorts of awesomeness.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:38 PM   #45
MILK
The cows want you dead.

Heather it has to be SO MUCH FUN to do things like that with your dad!!! I have a great father too but we never had a 'thing' like that we did together.
MILK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:56 PM   #46
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Last night we drained the tank on the Honda. For some reason it had 3/4 of a tank in there. Can't imagine why.

Then we took the airbox, battery and finally the carbs off.

My dad was supposed to upload the pics for me, but he is slacking.

The air box and filter were literally filled with rolly polly corpses. There was also an empty pecan shell in there. We decided that we are probably gonna do away with all that and get K&N filters for it.

This morning we got out there and started to clean up the carbs. Thing has been sitting for 27 years with gas in it, so it was pretty nasty. We spent most of the day just getting them clean and functioning.

We then took stock of what we should work on next weekend which will be taking off the wheels and chain. Lubing the chain up to see if it will be usable. Taking a look at the drum brake in the rear(someone messed with it at some point so it seems a little fishy), then WD-40ing the crap out of the front calipers to see if we can compress it(it's been sticking).

We also WD-40ed the clutch and throttle cables and they all seem to be functioning now.

Didn't get to anything on the Bridgestone because the Honda carbs took so much time. We also didn't want to get parts mixed up, so we are gonna work on one at a time.

Anyone have suggestions for the air filter? We decided today that we are not going to try and keep it true to OEM. Inverted forks are definitely in it's future, and the tank will have to be repainted. I love the blue and gold so we will use the same color scheme, but the tank has a soft spot on it and to fix it properly we will have to strip it.

We also found that the frame under the tank is dented ever so slightly. The tank is not dented in the same spot, so we are not sure what the hell happened with that. Maybe the tank has been repaired or replaced? We aren't entirely sure.

I think that is all we did....there were three of us and we put in a good 9 hours total last night and today. Granted, I'm learning a lot during all of this and my husband is meticulous and apparently wanted the carbs clean enough to where he could eat off of them. We went through 3.5 cans of carb and choke cleaner.

We are just taking it step by step and not coming up with outlandish ideas just yet. But I am more than willing to hear about or see everyone else's outlandish ideas!
Old 09-13-2009, 10:59 PM   #47
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

By the way, my fingers have never been so dirty, and I am now addicted to this.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:11 PM   #48
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHeather View Post
By the way, my fingers have never been so dirty, and I am now addicted to this.
I needed to quote this

carry on.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:56 PM   #49
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHeather View Post
Last night we drained the tank on the Honda. For some reason it had 3/4 of a tank in there. Can't imagine why.

Then we took the airbox, battery and finally the carbs off.

My dad was supposed to upload the pics for me, but he is slacking.

The air box and filter were literally filled with rolly polly corpses. There was also an empty pecan shell in there. We decided that we are probably gonna do away with all that and get K&N filters for it.

This morning we got out there and started to clean up the carbs. Thing has been sitting for 27 years with gas in it, so it was pretty nasty. We spent most of the day just getting them clean and functioning.

We then took stock of what we should work on next weekend which will be taking off the wheels and chain. Lubing the chain up to see if it will be usable. Taking a look at the drum brake in the rear(someone messed with it at some point so it seems a little fishy), then WD-40ing the crap out of the front calipers to see if we can compress it(it's been sticking).

We also WD-40ed the clutch and throttle cables and they all seem to be functioning now.

Didn't get to anything on the Bridgestone because the Honda carbs took so much time. We also didn't want to get parts mixed up, so we are gonna work on one at a time.

Anyone have suggestions for the air filter? We decided today that we are not going to try and keep it true to OEM. Inverted forks are definitely in it's future, and the tank will have to be repainted. I love the blue and gold so we will use the same color scheme, but the tank has a soft spot on it and to fix it properly we will have to strip it.

We also found that the frame under the tank is dented ever so slightly. The tank is not dented in the same spot, so we are not sure what the hell happened with that. Maybe the tank has been repaired or replaced? We aren't entirely sure.

I think that is all we did....there were three of us and we put in a good 9 hours total last night and today. Granted, I'm learning a lot during all of this and my husband is meticulous and apparently wanted the carbs clean enough to where he could eat off of them. We went through 3.5 cans of carb and choke cleaner.

We are just taking it step by step and not coming up with outlandish ideas just yet. But I am more than willing to hear about or see everyone else's outlandish ideas!
id say go with pod filters, you can get em on ebay fairly cheap and the only downside is itd going to need an up jet (probably will after exhaust anyway right?) and it makes more noise (i think its sexy but you may not approve). for the carbs id get some brasso and polish the crap out of the sliding portion of the carb, twenty years of oxidization can play hell with throttle response
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:06 PM   #50
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Congrats. But no way in hell I'd get into something like this. Good luck.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote