Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 08-08-2008, 05:19 PM   #41
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
I like the look of the 999/749 over the 1098/848. At least the 999 is very distinctive and doesn't have the R1 headlight of the 1098. Not only that but so far I have yet to hear anybody rave about the handling of the 1090/848.

If prices on the 999 is low enough, I might consider get one and convert it to a street fighter.
#1 complaint ive heard against them actually, seems like their out of the box settings are somewhat lacking. prob very nice after the suspension is fiddled though
TWF Post whore #6

Last edited by Dave; 08-08-2008 at 05:23 PM..
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:23 PM   #42
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
#1 complaint ive heard against them actually, seems like their out of the box settings are somewhat lacking. prob very nice after the suspension is fiddled though
Even when dialed in, they still aren't competitive against the Japs in the handling department which is rather disappointing.

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:27 PM   #43
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

so wait,

less hp
more maintence
sub- big 4 handling
why are they not labeled the harley of sb

(i love playing devils advocate sometimes)

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:54 PM   #44
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
Fuck that, hit up an 848! Cheaper to maintain and looks killer!
749R dude...
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:28 PM   #45
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

I love the looks of the 749S... Don't know if I could pull myself to drop that kind of money. Or to buy a V-2... i could be wrong!

fnfalman- On the contrary I believe Sport Rider loved the handling of the 1098R alot when they tested it a month or two back. Now on the other hand with the 848 i believed they used the word "quirkey" to describe the suspension. I think in a cost cutting measure they went cheap on the rear end. When pushed at racetrack speeds theres a lack of feel, compression problems, and the forks bottomed out pretty bad. Plus they said that the street ride is harsh as hell.... arent all Ducs tho???
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:07 PM   #46
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
I like the look of the 999/749 over the 1098/848. At least the 999 is very distinctive and doesn't have the R1 headlight of the 1098. Not only that but so far I have yet to hear anybody rave about the handling of the 1090/848.

If prices on the 999 is low enough, I might consider get one and convert it to a street fighter.
You musta missed the thread I posted about me riding an 848 semi-spirited and I was raving about the handling.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:57 PM   #47
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpy View Post
limp pasta...

try a one liter duc eater..
Mines a bit more than a liter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:50 AM   #48
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpy View Post
so wait,

less hp
more maintence
sub- big 4 handling
why are they not labeled the harley of sb

(i love playing devils advocate sometimes)
I own a 999 so now that I have identified my bias let me tell you why.
First is adjustablility the suspension and the rake can be set for any one of any size. Not just the 150 to 180lb guy. (this is important to me cause while no longer as big as I was I am still larger than that) Another thing that the 749/999 chassis has going for it is ergos. The 999 is one of the most comfortable 1 liter bikes I have ever sat on.
The next is one of perception. I have heard various ideas why it feels this way but V Twin Sportbike simply feels easier to handle and more precise. It gives allows even an old duffer like me with limited skills to drag a knee.
I love inline 4s for some applications but they come into their own between 75 and 150mph the Twins like the Duc and the RC51 (I have spent te most times on these) are in their element from 30 - 100mph. These are the speeds I ride most often at.
I have no saddle time on the 1098 but striclty from a design perspective it has more HP and weighs less but also is a bit less sophisticated in areas of suspension adjust ment rake adjustment and ergos. That said I woudl still lke one if i could figure out a way to do it with out being shot in my sleep by an otherwise very tolerant woman I am married to.. on second thought I bring home another Ducati anytime soon wh wont wait form me to go to sleep
nhgunnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 01:33 PM   #49
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhgunnut View Post
I own a 999 so now that I have identified my bias let me tell you why.
First is adjustablility the suspension and the rake can be set for any one of any size. Not just the 150 to 180lb guy. (this is important to me cause while no longer as big as I was I am still larger than that) Another thing that the 749/999 chassis has going for it is ergos. The 999 is one of the most comfortable 1 liter bikes I have ever sat on.
The next is one of perception. I have heard various ideas why it feels this way but V Twin Sportbike simply feels easier to handle and more precise. It gives allows even an old duffer like me with limited skills to drag a knee.
I love inline 4s for some applications but they come into their own between 75 and 150mph the Twins like the Duc and the RC51 (I have spent te most times on these) are in their element from 30 - 100mph. These are the speeds I ride most often at.
I have no saddle time on the 1098 but striclty from a design perspective it has more HP and weighs less but also is a bit less sophisticated in areas of suspension adjust ment rake adjustment and ergos. That said I woudl still lke one if i could figure out a way to do it with out being shot in my sleep by an otherwise very tolerant woman I am married to.. on second thought I bring home another Ducati anytime soon wh wont wait form me to go to sleep
ahmen, we all feel your pain

I see the point, but sometimes i think i just need to ride a duc to understand

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 01:47 PM   #50
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Ok.... so I was at the IndyCar race yesterday in Kentucky, and was walking through the vendor area when something red and shiney caught my eye. I turned to look, but the crowd was in the way, but I noticed it was a booth promoting the Indy GP. So I grabbed my brother and fought thru the crowd only to find that it was two super(gay)motards. But wait.... I look up only to find CASEY STONERS 07' DESMO sitting right under the tent. After about 10 minutes of on it, I asked the promoter..... it's real not a show bike!!! Man was that sweet... It would of been the highlite of the day had it not been for the fanfuckingtastic finish in the Indy race. I have pictures and vid on my phone but cant get em on here.

Lol, and I signed up for free tickets too... hope i win them!
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote