Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 03-28-2009, 10:58 AM   #41
HRCNICK11
Canyon Carver

For the record thats Mark Burkhart one of the fastest supermoto riders in the US. For you to say his riding style is wrong is way off base. Just cause his peg is on the ground does not mean he is near a high side, it just means his peg is draging.
HRCNICK11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:08 PM   #42
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Yeah where's that pic of xaus on a sumo? His peg has to be as close if not more so
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:49 PM   #43
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRCNICK11 View Post
For the record thats Mark Burkhart one of the fastest supermoto riders in the US. For you to say his riding style is wrong is way off base. Just cause his peg is on the ground does not mean he is near a high side, it just means his peg is draging.
Kevin Schwantz was a World Champion motorcycle road racer, but almost every time I watched him race, he crashed. If I was the owner of Core Supermoto Gear, wouldn't I want a picture of a rider about to crash?

Mr. Burkhart is showing perfect form of how to ride a dirt bike. If he had his dirt bike on dirt. It's completely wrong for riding on pavement. Although I did see a cruiser rider go around a corner with his foot skimming the pavement. And I've seen sparks coming off plenty of street bikes that didn't crash. But that don't mean it's good or right. Heck, I could push my centerstand down while going straight and cause sparks.

Putting road tires on a dirt bike is a great idea, but it's not new. In the mid-70's, there were a couple of two-stroke dirt bikes with street tires racing up and down Lookout Mountain. Illegal because they weren't licensed, they were quick going up, and super-fast coming down. Mostly because they were 250 pounds lighter than all the two-stroke street bikes, but they could also be leaned without scraping everything.

Anyone who rides a dirt bike or a streetbike on pavement should not ride it in a dirt-bike style. If I wanted a picture of a bike leaned way over, I would have the rider lean the wrong way. Like the cover shots on some British magazines, and advertisements for some gear.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:22 PM   #44
The Awesome
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
Mr. Burkhart is showing perfect form of how to ride a dirt bike. If he had his dirt bike on dirt. It's completely wrong for riding on pavement.
If the goal of riding the motorcycle is to produce the greatest results, how can a riding style that produces those results be wrong? Additionally, trying to interpret what the rider is doing from a still photo doesn't provide enough information to determine what is even going on at that moment. We can't see the section of track, and we don't know the conditions or situation he's dealing with. All we know is that picture is freakin' awesome.
The Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:33 PM   #45
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
Anyone who rides a dirt bike or a streetbike on pavement should not ride it in a dirt-bike style.
you have no idea what you are talking about.

yeah.... all these guys are doing it incorrectly... tell us one more time about how you'd be faster than them on your 25 year old bike and how you're the king of lookout mountain... aren't you a little old to be coming on the internet and bragging about your abilities all the time? That's for 12 year olds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9fa2L46b90
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:14 AM   #46
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Awesome View Post
If the goal of riding the motorcycle is to produce the greatest results, how can a riding style that produces those results be wrong? Additionally, trying to interpret what the rider is doing from a still photo doesn't provide enough information to determine what is even going on at that moment. We can't see the section of track, and we don't know the conditions or situation he's dealing with. All we know is that picture is freakin' awesome.
Yea,I've stated this fact too. A still pic doesn't tell you anything for certain because we don't have the context.

Also,the art of motorcycle control is an ever changing one. It wasn't that long ago that Kenny Roberts (my personal hero btw) was the(or one of the) first riders to start using his knee in corners. Everyone constantly gave Spies grief over his elbows and how his style is "incorrect"...3 American championships later...
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:13 AM   #47
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Awesome View Post
There is no ideal body position. The bottom line is you do what gets results in any given situation. There is no single magic pose that's the "right" way to ride a bike. The fact that guys like Doohan and Bayliss do what they do should end any debating.
Exactly. Learn the fundamentals/basics and adjust. I use my current style because I like where I am at because I can feel negative feedback and adjust. I've tried "kissing" my mirrors but that made me feel real vulnerable, in case I was to feel a tire slip or something. I move my upper and lower off but I don't put my head way down. I read many words on form and I've tried them all, but I just feel more comfortable with my own.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:16 AM   #48
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
you have no idea what you are talking about.

yeah.... all these guys are doing it incorrectly... tell us one more time about how you'd be faster than them on your 25 year old bike and how you're the king of lookout mountain... aren't you a little old to be coming on the internet and bragging about your abilities all the time? That's for 12 year olds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9fa2L46b90
Honestly. Sick burn, pulling out a supermoto vid, haha.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:39 AM   #49
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
Honestly. Sick burn, pulling out a supermoto vid, haha.

Yea,I laughed my ass off when I read it! Good form,old chap! Like all really great zingers,there's an element of truth in it. If you pull all of No Worries posts,at least 25-50% mention riding on the mountain and/or being faster than "young guys on newer bikes"
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:08 PM   #50
HRCNICK11
Canyon Carver

Well Jeff Ward and Mark Burkhart have no trouble at all beating badly Nicky Haydon and Danny Eslicks doing it your way. Your way on Supermotos is wrong.
HRCNICK11 is offline   Reply With Quote