Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell > Cage Tech

Old 07-17-2011, 10:00 PM   #51
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

10 seconds? Doubt it. I don't drive big old American cars with awesome AC, so it takes awhile for my AC to get cold. I would rather use the Normal setting for the first 30-60 seconds so it can force hot air out, before swtiching to Max.

Last edited by Homeslice; 07-17-2011 at 10:37 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:34 PM   #52
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

I thought Max engaged the secret R12 subsystem for that extra bit of cooling that R134a alone just can't give.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:31 PM   #53
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
Dude I'm a service engineer for a car company...and have worked with car companies since I was 22. If I know anything in this world...it's cars. You guys just guess at shit...or try to analize things using general common sense. Your original statement that the compressor cycles because of "Max A/C" or "Normal" just is not true.

Those that have Max AC and a Recirc button is simply for air venting direction (Max AC) and then % outside air using the Recirc button.
So two decades in the industry and you think GM builds a quality product and think cars have either a Max AC button OR recirculate. And I'm the one that doesn't know what he's talking about.

All cars I've driven have both. All cars I own kick on the auxiliary cooling fan as soon as Max AC is selected. Observation skills bordering on retarded should still allow you to at least gather that if cars have been your life for 22 years. If I was wrong about the compressor, so be it, I'm not opposed to learning from someone here. Provided they at least come across as knowledgeable, beyond just claiming to be while regularly showing otherwise.

Last edited by fasternyou929; 07-17-2011 at 11:35 PM..
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:57 AM   #54
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
10 seconds? Doubt it. I don't drive big old American cars with awesome AC, so it takes awhile for my AC to get cold. I would rather use the Normal setting for the first 30-60 seconds so it can force hot air out, before swtiching to Max.
Or you could do what everybody else does and roll the windows down until it gets cool?

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:21 AM   #55
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
So two decades in the industry and you think GM builds a quality product and think cars have either a Max AC button OR recirculate. And I'm the one that doesn't know what he's talking about. ...
It doesn't matter that is SAYS MAX AC, what matters is what it does. FWIW, my 2011 Mazda 3 has both, but the MAX A/C does nothing but ensures that the Hot/Cold is all the way to the full Cold. The condensor fan runs whenever the A/C is turned on regardless if it is all the way to the Max AC position. The Recirc button does just like it says. Recirculates. Why they even put "Max A/C" I can only guess is so the clueless don't leave it still in the "blue", but not all the way in the full blue range. Ford, GM and Chrysler always used only Max AC, which forced recirculation.

Quote:
...All cars I own kick on the auxiliary cooling fan as soon as Max AC is selected......
Well, apparently you have not driven a GM, VW or Mazda because they don't. The A/C fan on all GM vehicles was always a function of the A/C relay ON and A/C high side pressure. I would be that Max A/C does not even have a signal to the body controller. My Mazda 3 runs the A/C fan when the A/C is on and the A/C high side pressure is above a certain threshold. Max AC is not any type of input.

So now the question remains....do you have BOTH a recirc. button AND a MAX A/C button? Or do you have a Recirc button and lettering that says Max A/C because then Max AC doesn't do anything.

I should have said that Max AC acts as a recirc function if you don't have a button. If they put both there, the MAX AC is only to make sure you put it to full cold.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM

Last edited by 101lifts2; 07-18-2011 at 02:16 AM..
Old 07-18-2011, 01:34 AM   #56
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
my 2011 Mazda MX3
no such car
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:00 AM   #57
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
no such car
I meant Mazda 3. I don't why I added MX the first time I mentioned it..so I'll change it.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM

Last edited by 101lifts2; 07-18-2011 at 02:02 AM..
Old 07-18-2011, 07:12 AM   #58
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Or you could do what everybody else does and roll the windows down until it gets cool?
Careful! He will attempt to "convert" you now!

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:10 AM   #59
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
If they put both there, the MAX AC is only to make sure you put it to full cold.
bzzzzzzzzt- sorry, but thanks for playing. Tell him about his fabulous door prize, Al!

(just selected "MAX A/C" and turned the Temp into the red zone and, woe and behold, hot air came out)

Not trying to bust your balls (okay, maybe a LITTLE) but not all cars function the same way.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:05 AM   #60
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

Wow, you guys put a lot of thought into this whole windows-up windows-down thing.

I wondered the same thing about Max A/C when I was a kid. Our AMC Hornet (yeah, baby) had a label on the knob that said "Max A/C - Desert Only" or somesuch. I spent many a family vacation (of the non-desert variety) wondering from the back seat what would happen if we turned it on.

I was pretty disappointed when I got older and realized it was just a recirc control.
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote