Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 08-07-2009, 02:14 AM   #51
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
If you're basing your argument on "I'm pretty sure" then it might be time to rethink things.

I'm not defending the bailout of US companies, I'm saying we probably shouldn't be bailing out FOREIGN companies. I'm baffled that anyone would be supporting their tax dollars going directly to prop up a foreign company. How would you feel about writing a check to Siemens, Ikea, or Citgo without getting anything in return? Are you doing that? No? Then why are you supporting someone else doing it on your behalf, with your money?
I agree 100%. First the government (the taxpayer) should not be paying to subsidize someone else's vehicle purchase ESPECIALLY when the vehicle origins from a foreign manufacturer.

If they have to do this, then they should have mandated that the person purchase GM, Ford or Chrysler for vehicles designed, engineered and manufactured in the United States by American companies.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:58 AM   #52
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

It Disgusts me that My Taxes , My children's taxes and My Grandchildren's taxes are paying the mortgages of people who took out loans they couldn't afford, Now 3 generation will also make the down payment on their new car.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:45 AM   #53
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
I've got a few potential replacements in mind but it doesn't look like any of them are approved for this deal.

The Jeep Patriot which is available and can be had with 4x4 just doesn't seem to have enough "umph". I would like another 4x4 or at least all-wheel drive and at least a six cylinder and close to the cargo space of my Cherokee.
The Patriot pretty much sucks. When I was in TV news our consumer reporter had one for a week and reviewed it. He was a huge car guy...had a different ride every week to review. He hated it. Said the same thing you did....just no power.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:09 AM   #54
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
My tax money should only be used to buy bombs.
. .
EpyonXero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:22 PM   #55
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
I agree 100%. First the government (the taxpayer) should not be paying to subsidize someone else's vehicle purchase ESPECIALLY when the vehicle origins from a foreign manufacturer.

If they have to do this, then they should have mandated that the person purchase GM, Ford or Chrysler for vehicles designed, engineered and manufactured in the United States by American companies.
I think the idea is to get people to buy fuel efficient cars they actually want, not just GM shit boxes.

Most of the popular cars and trucks being "traded-up" for, are made here in the states, by American workers. Additionally, there is nothing preventing American investors from buying stock in those companies, and "sharing" in the profits, since they're all traded on the NYSE.

Add to that, the savings your all important grandchildren will get out of the deal, when gas prices match the lower demand fuel efficient cars will provide.

Yeah, I hate this plan, it makes too much sense.

JC
Old 08-07-2009, 12:27 PM   #56
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post

Can you point me toward a GM, Ford, or Chrysler that was designed, engineered, and manufactured exclusively in the US? There aren't too many.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:35 PM   #57
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
I think the idea is to get people to buy fuel efficient cars they actually want, not just GM shit boxes.

Most of the popular cars and trucks being "traded-up" for, are made here in the states, by American workers. Additionally, there is nothing preventing American investors from buying stock in those companies, and "sharing" in the profits, since they're all traded on the NYSE.

Add to that, the savings your all important grandchildren will get out of the deal, when gas prices match the lower demand fuel efficient cars will provide.

Yeah, I hate this plan, it makes too much sense.

JC
Keep dreaming about a drop in the demand for fuel. The government's sales figures are also misleading. Different engine and transmission configurations are counted as separate vehicles by the government. A lot more trucks are being sold than the government would have you believe.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/08/07/auto...ex.htm?cnn=yes
Old 08-07-2009, 12:36 PM   #58
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
Can you point me toward a GM, Ford, or Chrysler that was designed, engineered, and manufactured exclusively in the US? There aren't too many.
I found one!

40k, and it's yours.

JC
Old 08-07-2009, 12:38 PM   #59
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
Keep dreaming about a drop in the demand for fuel. The government's sales figures are also misleading. Different engine and transmission configurations are counted as separate vehicles by the government. A lot more trucks are being sold than the government would have you believe.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/08/07/auto...ex.htm?cnn=yes
We're always going to need trucks.

JC
Old 08-07-2009, 12:57 PM   #60
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
We're always going to need trucks.

JC
I agree. I get the feeling a lot of people don't. The method used for vehicle sales just seems disingenuous to me.

You got me on the domestic car. Too bad the vehicle that comes closest to that today is the Toyota Camry according to cars.com.