Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 01-18-2009, 09:54 PM   #51
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
To be honest,I'm only skimming this thread but am I to understand that some of you think that shared parts and platforms is a BAD thing? If I ran GM EVERY FUCKING GM CAR would use the same alternator,battery,window motor,starter,sunroof,etc. It is completely retarded for a Chevy car to use a different battery if it has power windows or not.
Don't count me in that lot...I'm just calling 1010Lifts an idiot for saying that most Lexus are based off the Camry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:26 PM   #52
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
To be honest,I'm only skimming this thread but am I to understand that some of you think that shared parts and platforms is a BAD thing? If I ran GM EVERY FUCKING GM CAR would use the same alternator,battery,window motor,starter,sunroof,etc. It is completely retarded for a Chevy car to use a different battery if it has power windows or not.
We're not talking about simple shared PARTS like alternators, etc........We're talking about shared PLATFORMS which = the stamped floorpan, firewall, shock towers, etc. Once you make a decision to use the same platform for multiple models, it means that certain factors that affect driving dynamics will be fixed:

1) Where the engine is mounted
2) Where the suspension is mounted
3) Where the steering rack is mounted
4) What TYPE of suspension it has (strut versus double wishbone for instance)

This is why Mazda used a totally unique platform for the RX7, because they knew that using a platform shared with one of their sedans would not produce the sportscar driving dynamics they were looking for.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:28 PM   #53
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
This is why Mazda used a totally unique platform for the RX7, because they knew that using a platform shared with one of their sedans would not produce the sportscar driving dynamics they were looking for.
The new miata shares the RX-8 platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:58 PM   #54
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

I was talking about the RX7...........That car was bulit on the "F" platform (FA, FB, and FC were the 3 generations of RX7's) and it was not shared with other Mazda products.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:04 AM   #55
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
I was talking about the RX7...........That car was bulit on the "F" platform (FA, FB, and FC were the 3 generations of RX7's) and it was not shared with other Mazda products.
I know... just wanted to throw that out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:34 AM   #56
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Huh? GTI is just a hopped-up Rabbit, always has been. Just because they might use different struts & springs doesn't mean it's a different chassis.

Chassis = basically just the stamped underbody, including the firewall & shock towers
Not according to someone who works at Audi. They are very different structures. This is a reverse example of how the same vehicle can have a very different chassis.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:44 AM   #57
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
101Lifts - Do you know what a platform is?

are you seriously stupid enough where you think if a car shares the same power steering pump and window washer pump that it's on the same platform?

fucking hell you've lost your goddamn mind.
what did those little japanese people do you at isuzu?
You have never worked for an OEM so you just assume stuff...."there is no way a Camry platform is a Lexus IS platform".

Listen, automakers rarely draw up a brand new platform. They use an existing one and modify it, which Toyota and Honda are known for doing. This isn't a bad thing at all because after its altered there are so many changes that they can say the platform is new, but its not really new.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
Old 01-19-2009, 12:49 AM   #58
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Quote:
We're not talking about simple shared PARTS like alternators, etc........We're talking about shared PLATFORMS which = the stamped floorpan, firewall, shock towers, etc. Once you make a decision to use the same platform for multiple models, it means that certain factors that affect driving dynamics will be fixed:

1) Where the engine is mounted
2) Where the suspension is mounted
3) Where the steering rack is mounted
4) What TYPE of suspension it has (strut versus double wishbone for instance)

You are referring to cookie cutter stuff like GM does, which most OEMs do not do. Most take an existing platform and modify it enough to get a different animal...but so does GM, but to a much lesser extent.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
Old 01-19-2009, 09:50 AM   #59
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
You have never worked for an OEM so you just assume stuff...."there is no way a Camry platform is a Lexus IS platform".

Listen, automakers rarely draw up a brand new platform. They use an existing one and modify it, which Toyota and Honda are known for doing. This isn't a bad thing at all because after its altered there are so many changes that they can say the platform is new, but its not really new.
You suck at anything automotive outside fuel injection and assume since you work in the industry your nonsensical babble has any weight despite a long history of being wrong.

Define "Automotive platform"
You will be graded on spelling and grammar.

101lifts :"The Corvette is based of the Malibu" and the "Viper is based of the Dakota."

FYI: You suck donkey balls.

Though it would suck if you pulled hail mary on this topic...because then i'd look like an ass, I'm betting on me being right that you are jackhole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:32 AM   #60
MikeSP1
Perpetual trouble

Moto: VTX 1300C, RC51, CBR600RR, CBR929RR

Chevy Silverado = GMC Sierra
Chevy Colorado = GMC Canyon

It's not rocket science, right here is redundancy. Hack the GMC models, maybe offer trim packages as options that are comparable to what comes stock on GMCs. I'm a Ford guy, and GM has always had a habit of being ugly.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"
MikeSP1 is offline   Reply With Quote