Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-30-2009, 01:10 PM   #51
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

sounds like a pretty pathetic game that the kid is winning. The parents thought they would be smart by alarming the house to keep her in and she found a way to make the system tell her when the code is changed and to what.

you can't "control" a teen. you raise them right as little kids and hope they stay on path if they don't you punish them but not play stupid games like this.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:18 PM   #52
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Since no one said it yet I say just call the fire dept, they seem to be the problem solvers down there with home security

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:20 PM   #53
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Part of the "problem" with parenting now is the buggin' teenagers have so much access to information. Couple that with the chronic knowing that they KNOW what is best for themselves. It's an awesome mix.

Have they tried this old fashioned idea of talking to her?

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:23 PM   #54
zlicius
Kneedragger

Moto: Gladius

I don't know if they have talked to her re the alarm thing. I think right now they are wigged out because she is getting the upper hand LOL I think they want to KNOW how to do it just so she doesn't think she's smarter than them.

But I do know they often have those sit downs with her. They are pretty realistic parents (she was a teen mom too).
zlicius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:26 PM   #55
zlicius
Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
How good of a job did your parents do talking to you about the consequences of pregnancy, and how sex shouldn't be rushed, and how if you do have it you need to use protection?
my parents didn't do anything. they let the school do it. and that was very minimal in the middle of the bible belt.

the problem is they TRUSTED me to know to do the right thing when I was 17. Since I was an honor student, they TRUSTED i would be able to make a smart decision. 17 y.o.s do not KNOW a smart decision if it smacked them upside the head.

Looking back, I don't know how I survived thru the teen years... LOL

BUT, back on track. I really want to know what the hell this kid is doing to the alarm system.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:30 PM   #56
t-homo
WSB Champion

My parents just taught me well enough that I knew I didn't want to have a kid. I snuck out 1 time during high school. Didn't get caught but it wasn't really worth the risk.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:40 PM   #57
Ineffable
Kneedragger

Moto: 2009 KTM RC8

[QUOTE=anthonyk;299399]Damn, I guess "good" is up for interpretation.

I agree, one of my best friends lived with me for several years during college, we lived in Dallas, his parents lived south of Houston. They would drive up at random (about 5 hours) at least twice a week to drug test him. Funny part is they had no idea I lived there (even though it was my apartment). When they showed up at 7 AM we would just quietly sneak around the house hiding all the contraband then I would chill in the back room. Now for the kicker, he was a pot dealer... together we probably smoked around 1.5 OZ a day but 'magically' that drug test came up clean every couple days.

He is an only child so his parents have always been WAY over protective, helicopter parents if you will. Sure we did our amount of dumb shit but we always had a line we knew not to cross. One day we both got arrested for a BS trespassing charge when we were at a party, (they arrested all 60 people there) His parents flipped, pulled him out of school packed up all his stuff, bailed him out of jail and took him back home (in that order). His parents blamed me for everything that he ever did wrong when in most cases I was the voice of reason and logic so I never heard from him as they monitored his cell phone and installed key loggers on his computer to keep tabs on him. They also pulled this same BS with the alarm to keep him in at night.

About a year went by and I ran into a mutual friend we had. Turns out now he has a pretty healthy meth habit. This is sad because when he was living in Dallas we NEVER touched that shit. We had a close friend that brought it into our house once and we banned him from ever coming over again. Once again we had a line you didn't cross. But thanks to his 'great parents' that were more worried with controlling him rather than teaching him he was driven to hard drugs. IN MY OPINION parents should be more worried about teaching there kids common sense and a few limits so they are able to make good decisions on there own rather than just controlling them so they don't make bad ones. A parent will never be with there kid 24/7 no matter how hard they try. When that kid is away from them they lack the ability to make a good decision on there own which leads down a very bad road in life.

Now, about the alarm. I would guess she could be using a master code as suggested above which I doubt since she has to keep looking at her cell phone and doesn't have it memorized by now even though she has probably used it several times. If it was me I would have installed a cellular device (which you can pick up dirt cheap and aren't all that complicated to install) in the alarm system so it would send confirmations to my phone. I don't know this girl but if she is dumb enough to openly show her parents she can beat there system she probably isn't smart enough to do this so maybe she had a friend come and do it. It could also be something supremely stupid like a 'forgotten password' feature. Since it's not monitored the owner isn't required to call the service to change it so it would have to be able to be changed in the house. If so she is probably looking on her phone to get whatever the information required is. Just a guess.
Ineffable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:40 PM   #58
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

You guys forget that luck plays a large part in the teen years.
I did my share of drunken fucking bank then. I'm not a dad because I lucked out. Same can be said for lots of us.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:47 PM   #59
Ineffable
Kneedragger

Moto: 2009 KTM RC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
You guys forget that luck plays a large part in the teen years.
I did my share of drunken fucking bank then. I'm not a dad because I lucked out. Same can be said for lots of us.
I agree, but luck goes a lot farther when you have the common sense to know where you can push it and when to say no.
Ineffable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:48 PM   #60
zlicius
Kneedragger

[QUOTE=Ineffable;299432]
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
If it was me I would have installed a cellular device (which you can pick up dirt cheap and aren't all that complicated to install) in the alarm system so it would send confirmations to my phone.
link? what are they called?