Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 02-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #51
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Of what you listed, I'd lean towards the Murano.

Keep in mind though, that it has a CV trans. That might drive me nuts, YMMV.

The Murano is based on a Maxima platform, and the trans did well enough in the Murano that they later offered it in the Max...so I'm sure it's a decent enough unit, but for shits and giggles, I'd find out the service interval on the belt.
There isn't a belt in a CVT in a car.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:32 PM   #52
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f133968
Old 02-07-2011, 01:17 AM   #53
t-homo
WSB Champion

I live in Missouri. Hatchback cars are for 16 year old kids that spend as much on the body kit, rims and neon as the car is worth.

I didn't mean image on the car alone. Like tigger said, showing success makes a big difference around here. One of my biggest obstacles at this point is people not knowing if I will still be here in another 4 months, but that will just take time.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:53 AM   #54
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

I would almost lean away from the SVU aspect and look more towards a nice sedan, that can also be sporty, supporting both aspects for you. The fun non work side, but the classy agent in the nice car. Good gas mileage, get something you know will be dependable, I had a top of the line Altima and it was stellar, and I know a ton of folks who are in LOVE with their maximas.

To me, the SVU is more soccer mom, whereas the sedan is more well rounded. but it's all your call in the end babe.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #55
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-homo View Post
I live in Missouri. Hatchback cars are for 16 year old kids that spend as much on the body kit, rims and neon as the car is worth.

I didn't mean image on the car alone. Like tigger said, showing success makes a big difference around here. One of my biggest obstacles at this point is people not knowing if I will still be here in another 4 months, but that will just take time.
But do you really need to spend 15-20k of borrowed money to do it? Spending money that you haven't even earned yet, in a commission structured job that is VERY difficult, isn't exactly the best gameplan. What if you DON'T make it at this job? What if you can't get a job quickly if this one bombs? What if you don't earn as much commission as you expect? How will you make the car payments? This is my main point.

If the mustang is a bad representation, then trade it in, along with some cash, on a car that is sturdy and reliable, and has an image of responsibility. Just don't go into debt to do so. When you PROVE to people that you are still going to be in this job, by actually BEING in the job, then trade up in cars, with CASH you've earned at the job.

Starting out in insurance sales is VERY difficult. I know because I've been there. I drove myself deep into debt, thinking the same shit you're thinking. It took me several years to get out of that hole and I don't want to see a good guy make the same mistakes I did. Do your damndest to stay out of debt along the way. Then, when the residuals start rolling in, you'll be in an awesome spot.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:36 AM   #56
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-homo View Post

Having success is being able to afford a new luxury car where the MSRP doesn't exceed 1/3 of your annual salary, in some cases picking an auto that makes your peer's wife say "I like your car".

Faking success is spending money on a car you couldn't afford when new with hopes it will impress those with minimal success.

If you are in retail insurance, then
1. Midlevel Buick
2. Camry or Avalon
3. Chevy Malibu or Impalla
4. Ford Taurus

If you need AWD, get an AWD Taurus.
If you work handle commercial insurance, then Buick.

Conservative car...conservative styling. Cleanliness, 4doors

The fact is that you are still a kid. You need something that says "Company car issued to low level sales guy"
The car should not say something about you. It should say something about the company you represent.
Since it is insurance NO LUXURY BRANDS UNTIL YOU LOOK THE PART (meaning you look like you have been in the industry for 20 years aka. You are in your 40's)
Safe, conservative, low risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:04 PM   #57
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Oh and with the super low interest rates cost next to nothing to finance and be "slightly" more comfortable to transport more than two people....
But don't forget to consider the risk involved with going into debt. That risk is MUCH higher with a commission structured job, such as the one he has. I stand by my statement that he doesn't need to go into debt on a vehicle in order to present a good image. Maybe the mustang presents an image of immaturity and he wants to present a better image to potential clients. Fine, I can handle that. However, he doesn't need to go 15 or 20k in debt to present an image of stability and maturity. He can pick up a used Camry for 5 or 6k (or any reliable vehicle that has a better image than the 'stang). If he trades in the mustang and pays cash for a used vehicle, he's ahead of the game. He can then trade into a better vehicle down the road after he starts seeing some residuals from prior sales. I think pauldun hit this one on the head with his post on "image."
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:24 PM   #58
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
But don't forget to consider the risk involved with going into debt. That risk is MUCH higher with a commission structured job, such as the one he has. I stand by my statement that he doesn't need to go into debt on a vehicle in order to present a good image. Maybe the mustang presents an image of immaturity and he wants to present a better image to potential clients. Fine, I can handle that. However, he doesn't need to go 15 or 20k in debt to present an image of stability and maturity. He can pick up a used Camry for 5 or 6k (or any reliable vehicle that has a better image than the 'stang). If he trades in the mustang and pays cash for a used vehicle, he's ahead of the game. He can then trade into a better vehicle down the road after he starts seeing some residuals from prior sales. I think pauldun hit this one on the head with his post on "image."
I think that Ramsey needs to start a church.... Avery, not everyone is going to wreck their lives going into debt. I'm not telling the kid to buy a Porsche but if he ever plans on buying a house someday, unless you Ransey-ites don't allow credit for that anymore, he's going to have to build some credit. Buying a car is a good way to do that. You nor I know the EXACT situation he is in but the Mustang has some value for trade against the new vehicle and for all you know, he may already have some cash. Again, my 22 year old GF bought a $10,000 bike cash last year. It's amazing how much a "kid" working part time can save when Mom and Dad are paying the bills...

Anyway, here's an example of what I'm trying to say, $15,000 Murano - $4,500 trade for the Mustang - $2,500 cash = $8,000 loan with a $166/month payment @5% over 60 months. You could donate plasma to make that payment. I agree with you and the Reverend Ramsey for the most part with these two exceptions; 1. a house and 2. a vehicle. are the only reasons I'll take out a loan/go into debt ever again.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #59
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Having success is being able to afford a new luxury car where the MSRP doesn't exceed 1/3 of your annual salary, in some cases picking an auto that makes your peer's wife say "I like your car".

Faking success is spending money on a car you couldn't afford when new with hopes it will impress those with minimal success.

If you are in retail insurance, then
1. Midlevel Buick
2. Camry or Avalon
3. Chevy Malibu or Impalla
4. Ford Taurus

If you need AWD, get an AWD Taurus.
If you work handle commercial insurance, then Buick.

Conservative car...conservative styling. Cleanliness, 4doors

The fact is that you are still a kid. You need something that says "Company car issued to low level sales guy"
The car should not say something about you. It should say something about the company you represent.
Since it is insurance NO LUXURY BRANDS UNTIL YOU LOOK THE PART (meaning you look like you have been in the industry for 20 years aka. You are in your 40's)
Safe, conservative, low risk.
Gotta agree with Paul on this. I've been in this industry for a decade now and this is pretty much spot on.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:41 PM   #60
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
Gotta agree with Paul on this. I've been in this industry for a decade now and this is pretty much spot on.
I actually agree with the vehicle choice from a professional standpoint but the kid's 21 for God's sake!!! I would go this route if he can afford to keep the 'Stang and buy one of these cars for work.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote