Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 01-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #61
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
So it's the last one. I figured as much but tried to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Totally unrelated - ever notice when Avatard resorted to dropping F-bombs to make a point, it made him sound like a knuckle-dragging mouth breather that couldn't see what was right in front of him, no matter how many times people tried to explain it?
Please explain to me how in a free country it's a crime or wrong to make legally obtained information put in a pretty form? If you have a problem with the information being freely available, wouldn't it make sense to go to the source providing the information?
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #62
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Please explain to me how in a free country it's a crime or wrong to make legally obtained information put in a pretty form? If you have a problem with the information being freely available, wouldn't it make sense to go to the source providing the information?
I never said it was a crime, and I've given reasons above why I think it's wrong. If you don't agree with them (or refuse to acknowledge them), we're on different sides of the fence, and your side of the fence worries me. I think it's an abuse of the act to take a massive amount of information via FOIA and publish an interactive map.

You think the map is silly and irrelevant. I think it's the crux of the problem and the argument/discussion.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #63
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Well off the top of my head, I would say that it's wrong because it creates a situation in which people whose information is abused have no recourse, as the people who have requested it act as an information buffer between the source, and the destination.

A crime? No. Morally repugnant? Yes.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #64
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
I never said it was a crime, and I've given reasons above why I think it's wrong. If you don't agree with them (or refuse to acknowledge them), we're on different sides of the fence, and your side of the fence worries me. I think it's an abuse of the act to take a massive amount of information via FOIA and publish an interactive map.

You think the map is silly and irrelevant. I think it's the crux of the problem and the argument/discussion.
I don't think attacking the map will do anything and thus is irrelevant. The paper seems to be enjoying the reaction, maybe not as much anymore since they hired guards after getting death threats, but they show no interest in taking it down. You need to go after what is allowed with FOIA releases to actually cause real change. Hell, you could make the map illegal and they would have to remove it. Instead, what has been accomplished, is giving the paper a ton more publicity.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #65
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Well off the top of my head, I would say that it's wrong because it creates a situation in which people whose information is abused have no recourse, as the people who have requested it act as an information buffer between the source, and the destination.

A crime? No. Morally repugnant? Yes.
They have recourse, hell they could of stopped it from ever happening. However, they elected the wrong people and a law that would of prevented this from happening failed to pass. Change the law, get this taken down.

There is a lot of things the media publishes that isn't exactly moral, but that doesn't mean they can't publish it or wrong to do it.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #66
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Quote:
I don't think attacking the map will do anything and thus is irrelevant. The paper seems to be enjoying the reaction, maybe not as much anymore since they hired guards after getting death threats, but they show no interest in taking it down. You need to go after what is allowed with FOIA releases to actually cause real change. Hell, you could make the map illegal and they would have to remove it. Instead, what has been accomplished, is giving the paper a ton more publicity.
I strongly disagree with your first statement. The Westboro Baptist get a lot of publicity too, but you don't see too many copycats. There is a point when there is such a thing as bad publicity.

I don't think we need more laws, we're pretty well covered there, and the paper is not guilty of a crime other than moral bankruptcy and blatant stupidity. Ideally people would recognize what the paper has done and take their business elsewhere rather than support them. The troubling part is the number of people that support them.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #67
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
I don't think we need more laws, we're pretty well covered there, and the paper is not guilty of a crime other than moral bankruptcy and blatant stupidity. Ideally people would recognize what the paper has done and take their business elsewhere rather than support them. The troubling part is the number of people that support them.
Because people don't care til it effects them. Already been through an against a FOIA fight that impacted my life and lost. People that weren't effected didn't give a shit then either.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #68
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
First they came for the pedophiles.
Then they came for the gun owners--and there was no one left to speak for me.
Quote:
Because people don't care til it effects them. Already been through an against a FOIA fight that impacted my life and lost. People that weren't effected didn't give a shit then either.
Welcome to the half-way point of this thread.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #69
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Welcome to the half-way point of this thread.
It's an endless circle. It's really the answer to this whole argument. LOL
Old 01-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #70
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
So nuke 'em.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote