Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 03-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #81
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
course they didn't know where to get it or how much it would cost.

Ford stealership here sells it for $9 a gallon
Old 03-03-2011, 02:35 PM   #82
defector
My balls, your chin

Moto: 929, SV650, YZ250

Can't you get urea at any parts store now?
Old 03-03-2011, 03:59 PM   #83
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Nice truck.

Im in the process of buying an 06 F250 FX4 Diesel atm, not 100% sure im buying it, but ill know in the next week or two. Less than 100000km (60k miles), club cab, loaded w/ leather, and owned by my uncle so I know it was never abused and was always well maintained. total cost is $13900 with taxes. Too good of a deal to pass up.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #84
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Nice truck.

Im in the process of buying an 06 F250 FX4 Diesel atm, not 100% sure im buying it, but ill know in the next week or two. Less than 100000km (60k miles), club cab, loaded w/ leather, and owned by my uncle so I know it was never abused and was always well maintained. total cost is $13900 with taxes. Too good of a deal to pass up.
If it's a 6.0 run like hell! regardless of who owned it
Old 03-03-2011, 04:04 PM   #85
Apoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
If it's a 6.0 run like hell! regardless of who owned it
I know multiple people running them, and none of them have ever had a problem witht hem. And a couple of them are contractor trucks, so they are well abused from day one.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:47 PM   #86
RedRider2k2
Holier Than Thou

Moto: 06 ZX10R, 18 400 Ninja, 11 KLX250s

Quote:
I know multiple people running them, and none of them have ever had a problem witht hem. And a couple of them are contractor trucks, so they are well abused from day one.
Those seem to be the only ones that stand a chance. It seems like the harder they're worked, the better they do. We have had fleets of them and more often than not they are crap. The only way to save them is to hit the internet and start modding them to eliminate the weak points.

Last night I watched an 03 with a 7.3, 4x4, 4 door, loaded, under 90,000kms, in amazing shape, etc...

Sell for about $9,000.
RedRider2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:00 PM   #87
Apoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRider2k2 View Post
Those seem to be the only ones that stand a chance. It seems like the harder they're worked, the better they do. We have had fleets of them and more often than not they are crap. The only way to save them is to hit the internet and start modding them to eliminate the weak points.

Last night I watched an 03 with a 7.3, 4x4, 4 door, loaded, under 90,000kms, in amazing shape, etc...

Sell for about $9,000.

Where? Auction?

What are considered the 'weak points' of the 6.0 Jon? If I was looking to mod it for reliability, where would I start?

Old 03-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #88
CasterTroy

Quote:
What are considered the 'weak points' of the 6.0 Jon? If I was looking to mod it for reliability, where would I start?
The ones I've personally known to give issues were mostly gaskets. But it was gaskets BURIED in the engine.

Actually last Thursday right after I posted about the 6.0, my buddy Tim (with a 2001 6.0 ext cab 4x4) had to take his to the shop for a blown gasket. He's facing about $3,500 worth of work at a trusted mechanic.

2 other 6.0's I personally knew about (not that 2nd hand rumor shit) had turbo AND gasket issues and for SOME reason, the cab had to be unbolted and lifted up to access the problem. Seems that's cheaper than removing the motor

No one I've known with a 7.3 has ever had those issues.

Pick up a copy of 8-lug trucks magazine and you'll see 3-4 ads in there about companies making parts to make a 6.0 reliable..but I've never priced what they're advertising....hell it's probably $3000 or more

I'm going with a 2003-2007 common rail cummins. Mainly because my best friend is a mechanic at cummins atlantic and he can fix anything on that rag .....despite it being a DODGE
Old 03-07-2011, 05:33 PM   #89
RedRider2k2
Holier Than Thou

Moto: 06 ZX10R, 18 400 Ninja, 11 KLX250s

Quote:
Where? Auction?

Ya it was at an Auction.

Off the top of my head...We've seen

Heads warp/crack
Hundreds of EGR valves (Excessive idling can cause this)
Leaking EGR Coolers
Clogged Oil Coolers.
A LOT of injectors. (Oil, Oil/Fuel filter changes are very important. Low fuel pressure destroys Injectors. We stay on top of maintenance but still went through a lot.)
A few Turbos went bad but I can't remember what caused most of it.

Then there's the Ford stuff. Annual Brakes and Ball Joints, etc

I hear ditching the EGR and an aftermarket oil cooler does wonders for them. I cant say much about that though because, obviously, we dont mod them. Just slap on more OEM parts and restart the Tow Truck countdown again.

If you're interested in a 7.3, take a good look under it. The oil pans are known to rot out and are very costly to change. My friend changes them for one of the lowest rates around. About $600 plus parts. Most shops want many multiples of that.
RedRider2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:04 PM   #90
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
yeah and they were soooo discrete about where they hung the tank. on the chevy anyway it is right under the passenger door. dealer said it needs a gal per 1000 miles of that stuff. course they didn't know where to get it or how much it would cost.
That's a little high, but close. I've seen it in truck stops for about $5/gal and $12 for 2.5 gal.
I believe the fill for GM's is under the hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote