Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 06-19-2010, 11:51 AM   #81
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Its not a right to not pay insurance or abuse emergency rooms.
asshole

I think most people want to go after illegals. Especially legal immigrants.
the fact that they are clearly different than the majority makes it all the more fun.
They aren't legal rights but they may as well be at this point.

Quote:
Listen...I called BS on the Irish\Italian "Weez just like them other oppressed people" card. Nothing more.

You telling me that I'm not allowed to nitpick?
Go f'n f yerself.
Well actually don't because thats kinda nasty and I don't need that imagery in my head.
Sure you can nitpick, but then so can I. You want to compare Irish/Italian immigrants to Mexican immigrants. That is fine, but asking for documentation that explicitly singles out one of those two groups would require documentation explicitly singling out Mexican immigrants in order for the comparison to be valid. The fact that in 2008 the US naturalized more people from Mexico than any other country (3.5 times more Mexicans than those from the second country on the list) invalidates that argument to a large degree.

You can erase that mental imagery. I'm not nearly flexible enough to go f'n f myself.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:31 PM   #82
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post

You want to compare Irish/Italian immigrants to Mexican immigrants.

No I didn't. I was supporting the assertion that it is the nature of people to flip the bird to people who look different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:43 PM   #83
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Well there's The Johnson Act, of 1921, but that's just off the top of my head.
You sure about that one?
Wasn't that a reaction to the aftermath (up swell of immigrants) of WWI and whose intent was to limit dirty Eastern Europeans?

I could see how one could assume that people were tired of Italians but (from memory) looking at the act and going through some of the preceding laws the immigration policies sought to limit others.

The fact that it was % based on current population levels the Irish and Italians had nothing to worry about as their #'s in the US at the time resulted in favorable quotas compared to other countries.

"limited the annual number of immigrants to 3% of the number of foreign-born persons of most nationalities living in the USA in 1910."

you gonna make me research census #'s from 1910?
Jerk

Quote:
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
Old 06-19-2010, 05:12 PM   #84
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
No I didn't. I was supporting the assertion that it is the nature of people to flip the bird to people who look different.
My bad. It doesn't change anything about the rest of my post though. The top 15 countries of origin for those who became naturalized US citizens in 2008 is below.

Mexico
India
Philippines
People’s Republic of China
Cuba
Vietnam
El Salvador
Dominican Republic
Colombia
Korea (North and South)
Jamaica
Haiti
Nicaragua
Guatemala
Peru

For these countries the majority of their populations look "different", if my guess is right about what you mean by the word. Somebody at INS must have screwed up and forgot to flip them the bird.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:19 PM   #85
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
You sure about that one?
Wasn't that a reaction to the aftermath (up swell of immigrants) of WWI and whose intent was to limit dirty Eastern Europeans?

I could see how one could assume that people were tired of Italians but (from memory) looking at the act and going through some of the preceding laws the immigration policies sought to limit others.

The fact that it was % based on current population levels the Irish and Italians had nothing to worry about as their #'s in the US at the time resulted in favorable quotas compared to other countries.

"limited the annual number of immigrants to 3% of the number of foreign-born persons of most nationalities living in the USA in 1910."

you gonna make me research census #'s from 1910?
Jerk
Yup. You betcha. Start researching.

It WAS aimed largely at limiting the influx of Eastern Europeans, but it set far reaching limits and you can't tell an Eastern European from a Western European, just by looking at one.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 05:29 PM   #86
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
My bad. It doesn't change anything about the rest of my post though. The top 15 countries of origin for those who became naturalized US citizens in 2008 is below.

Mexico
India
Philippines
People’s Republic of China
Cuba
Vietnam
El Salvador
Dominican Republic
Colombia
Korea (North and South)
Jamaica
Haiti
Nicaragua
Guatemala
Peru

For these countries the majority of their populations look "different", if my guess is right about what you mean by the word. Somebody at INS must have screwed up and forgot to flip them the bird.
Keep in mind when I say flip the bird I mean general opinion. Not official policy

Quote:
Old 06-19-2010, 05:33 PM   #87
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Yup. You betcha. Start researching.

It WAS aimed largely at limiting the influx of Eastern Europeans, but it set far reaching limits and you can't tell an Eastern European from a Western European, just by looking at one.
The original question concerned policies concerning the Irish and Italians.
Driven by the pic you posted.

I aint researching SHIT until you claim something specific to Irish and Italian.
Its the weekend dammit. I'm not chasing everything under the sun when its the weekend. Gotta have some boundaries you know

Quote:
Old 06-19-2010, 07:25 PM   #88
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
The original question concerned policies concerning the Irish and Italians.
Driven by the pic you posted.

I aint researching SHIT until you claim something specific to Irish and Italian.
Its the weekend dammit. I'm not chasing everything under the sun when its the weekend. Gotta have some boundaries you know
So: Internet - serious (9-5, Monday to Friday) business?

You were talking about immigrants who look different being treated worse than those who don't. It simply isn't the case.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:39 PM   #89
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
So: Internet - serious (9-5, Monday to Friday) business?
Hahaha.

Internet Seriousness
Real Talk
Old 06-19-2010, 09:04 PM   #90
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Keep in mind when I say flip the bird I mean general opinion. Not official policy
OK, but you also asked about disgust for Irish/Italians causing changes in laws, quotas or immigration policy. My contention is those things don't appear to exist today, at least with respect to quotas and immigration policy. It invalidates much of the comparison with the Irish/Italian situation from the past.