Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Riding Gear

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-21-2009, 06:51 PM   #1
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man
Default Gear Navigator Tailbag

Ok, christmas came late for me this year, and it arrived on what is possible the coldest day of this year. If it was warmer I might have spent more time trying to figure out how to attach it to my bike, being freezing cold and dark I just gave up for the night and took it off to go back into the house. But I do have some initial impressions.

It's huge, I can easily carry a weeks worth of clothes, with room to spare, and places to strap other stuff down on top of it. This bag is 52liters, with one large main compartment that is accessible from the top. The top flap has a mesh compartment that is perfect for carying smaller electronics, important documents, stuff like that. I think that I could fit anything that I might need for a very long trip in just the main compartment.

To each side of the main compartment are smaller and slightly less accessible compartments. Each side could easily hold a pair of sneakers or two. They are decent size and shape, and look like they could be perfect to hold enough personal hygene items to satisfy the most demanding woman.

The top of the bag looks like when it's fully packed it would be fairly flat, and there are some straps on top so that you can strap down anything else you can think of. Another bag or a tent, sleeping bag, and air matress come to mind as the firts things to get strapped to it.

The bag also comes with a handy dandy carry handle and a shoulder strap to transport it easily at the end of the day. Bungee chords are all over this thing, and they look like they woul be perfect to use to either hold the bags contents from shifting or to hold something on the bag. There is a small pouch at the front of the bag that holds the rain cover. The rain cover looks like it would fit over the full bag perfectly, but I have my doubts as to how waterproof it would really make the bag, especially since I expect a decent amount of water to splash from the tires into the under side of the bag which faces the bike.

The attachment look very solid if properly done, but...

And to the negatives.

1 - I spent 15 minutes trying to figure out how to put it on the bike before I got too cold and gave up. The front straps look very easy to attach to the rear foot pegs. There is also a very robust velco strap that goes under the seat. But I couldn't find an easy spot to attach my rear straps. the instructions just say "a secure place" and teh picture shows them wrapped around turn signals. I have flushmounts, and even if I had stalk turn signals I dont think I would use them as an attachment point for a bag. I need to spend more time looking at the back of the bike so that I can figure out a good way of attaching the straps.

2 - The attachment straps use aluminum buckles, which look like they are strong enough to hold me down. The down side is that they are aluminum and can easily scratch or gouge the bodywork, there are nifty little pads that sit under the buckles, but they also look like they might easily slip out from under the buckle letting it rest directly against the plastic.

3 - The straps aren't permanently attached, to take the bag off the bike you would need to remove all four straps plus the seat strap. And it would also be very easy to leave them on the bike and then the strap get cought in a moving parts and torn apart.

Other than those negative the bag looks huge, strong, and ready to go for a long ride with lots of gear. I will update this after I take the bag out for a ride, and after I figure out how to attach it to the tail.

Last edited by derf; 03-13-2009 at 03:38 AM..
derf is offline   Reply With Quote