Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 07-11-2008, 01:32 PM   #11
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
They just want to get there foot in the door with a quality sport bike manufacturer.
But buying the entire company?

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:48 PM   #12
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
But buying the entire company?
Why not? They are considerably smaller than the Japanese big 4 or even Ducati and Aprilia but they make high end bikes. I would think from a business standpoint, that where you want to invest. More return on a smaller investment. Could you imagine the popularity if they stated making the F4 in the 1098 or RSV price range? You'd kick the crap out of Ducati and Aprilia in terms of sales.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:30 PM   #13
pickle.of.doom
el diablo de verde

Moto: VTR, CBR, DRZSM

Lets just hope they don't take a perfectly functional motorcycle and start slapping 1950's tech on it because it looks cool

WOS Forums
pickle.of.doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:50 PM   #14
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle.of.doom View Post
Lets just hope they don't take a perfectly functional motorcycle and start slapping 1950's tech on it because it looks cool
I don't know if you're just being a wise guy...but HD puts out some very high tech stuff now a days.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:31 PM   #15
Audiomechanic
Mobile Post-Whore Unit

Moto: 2000 Honda Magna 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpzx10 View Post
The OP was hatin.

And, I agree, Harley puts out good stuff these days (still overpriced) but good nonetheless
changed the OP. Happy? Good.

My opinion: all the good stuff is wrapped up in the VRSC bikes and a one Sportster that won't even be sold here. Everything else is 1950's tech still (not counting Buell...but HD didn't come up with the innovations for Buell).

If they don't change the MV's, great! All for it. If they do, it'll ruin the MV's.

Last edited by Audiomechanic; 07-11-2008 at 05:06 PM..
Audiomechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:53 PM   #16
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

Dont get me wrong, HD makes some good stuff, but the pushrod V twin is old still ancient technology. its time to start throwing some more modern stuff in there. all I'm seeing is the same old motors, just fuel injected really and more electronic stuff. no real mechanical improvements in the last what's it been? 20+ years at least?
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:26 PM   #17
FT BSTRD
Tractor Driver

Moto: Buell XB12X Ulysses

Harley Davidson is what happens when you take a company at the pinnacle of technological advancement and hit it in the soft spot with a hammer.

They've never had to evolve because their core buyer was buying "classic".

They understand the market for their cruisers. They understand that they don't know jack about sport bikes. Buell had to sell enough bikes to justify the expense of the Rotax development. You will see a continued movement away of Buell from Harley Davidson technologically.

You will not see HD tech on an MV Augusta or a Buell.

You might see MV Augusta and Buell tech on a Harley, though.

This is strictly a surface area/market exposure move. My guess is that there will be three distinct divisions, HD, Buell, MV Augusta.

Think Ford, Mazda, Jaguar, Volvo.
FT BSTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:32 PM   #18
Audiomechanic
Mobile Post-Whore Unit

Moto: 2000 Honda Magna 750

Except Mazda's, Jaguar's, and Volvo's are all built on Ford platforms. In this example, the host company cloned their product under the acquired smaller companies' names.

Not saying that will happen (hope not). If it doesn't and more advanced tech shows up on Harleys, than I'm all for it and love the idea. If it goes the way of Ford, say goodbye to a nice Italian brand.

Last edited by Audiomechanic; 07-11-2008 at 05:35 PM..
Audiomechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:46 PM   #19
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

All I'm really saying is I'd LIKE A LOT to see some innovations and use of this modern technology available to us on those Harley motors. They can keep the old school stuff for the fans of classic products, but I'd like a new line of HD motors introduced for those of us who want a cruiser that is modern.

I honestly hope they just keep MV Agusta alive and well, while not really trying to change the bikes. MV makes a very refined and mighty machine that throws down what? 190 to the tire? which is like ZX14 territory with a lot less weight.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:48 PM   #20
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT BSTRD View Post
Look at it this way, Buell now has a 100% sportbike oriented dealership network stateside.

Now you won't have to wear your assless pants in to look at a sport bike or get weird looks when you show up at the dealership in your Power Rangers suit.

I believe this is the first step in separating the sportbike distribution from the cruiser distribution.

It will be easier to service the new generation of Buells inside a sportbike shop rather than trying to retrain Harley techs to service Rotax engines.

There will also be the ability to homogenize parts and accessories for sport bikes.

I see this as a VERY good move for HD and an even better move for Buell. Better this than HD selling Buell to MV Augusta.

I would expect the prices for MV Augustas to decline a little bit. HD has a rediculous ability to degotiate discounts on materials, components, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the components get sourced stateside. Means more American jobs.
Overall I like the idea but to say that this will bring in American jobs is a bit optimistic. The new Buell is maybe 20% American made. They don't buy American made parts for their "American" sportbike. Why would HD cut out the current vendors,whom to my knowledge,provide MV with excellent parts and start sourcing parts here in the U.S.? How could it possibly be more cost effective for them to buy parts here instead of all the producers in Europe. Besides,MV and Cagiva produce approximately 5000 bikes a year. You'd have to be pretty hard up as a parts manufacturer to pay for all the Cad/Cam and die costs for that few parts. Plus you'd still have to sell them at a price LOWER than they are getting them currently.

The biggest positive for me is the possibility that MVs could become easier for us to purchase and maintain with a larger dealer network behind them. To be honest tho',my guess is that HD is looking to sell more bikes over there rather than bring more bikes over here.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote