Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 01-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #61
Turbo Ghost
Movie Star

Moto: KLR650

I just wanted to pop-in and address the earlier comment about one officer not being enough to cover an entire school. I can't believe I had forgotten this since it wasn't that long ago. This happened at a school just a few miles from my house. I actually went to school with most of the students that graduated in the same graduating year but, I was transferred to another school years before. I say this so it's not one of those "this happened over there" situations. This is a school where many of my friends teach and many of my friends have children attending.
The video is boring but, informative. Shortly after the end of the video, officers arrived and the aggressor was shot and killed. ONE officer is the reason only one person died that day. In the beginning of the video you will see her go to the door with the principle to see why the man is there. This school is locked. You don't get in without a reason. When approached, the man drew his gun on the principle and the SRO (School Resource Officer) drew hers and blocked him from shooting the principle. She then led him into a more contained area as there were children outside and the others were in their classrooms. Should she have shot him? She was certainly within her rights. We were not there and don't know the exact conversation they had at the time but, in interviews with her after the fact, she stated she believed he would drop the weapon. I'm thankful she was there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEDEi8ZZ--E
Turbo Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #62
Twobanger
Canyon Carver

Wow. Thanks for posting that. It probably felt like an eternity for her.
Twobanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #63
Turbo Ghost
Movie Star

That is exactly what she said. Me personally, I probably would have shot him but, again I wasn't there and don't know exactly what the conversation was. I've seen videos with her watching the video and she says he was going on about the goverment. She felt he would drop the weapon and I commend her for her bravery and service.

Also, while I think of it. How incredibly relevant is this!? Way back in 2000 or 2001, this man had been taken to court for stalking a paper-carrier on her rounds. She did not know the man so it wasn't a domestic situation. The case was dismissed when a witness did not show. Some time after that, the man walked into a police station WEARING a handgun in his waistband complaining about some situation he was having that they needed to take care of. He was arrested for illegal concealment of a weapon. The judge ordered him to seek mental evaluation and counselling. He did neither. If he had or if his probation officer had made sure he had then, perhaps none of this would have happened.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #64
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Ghost View Post
That is exactly what she said. Me personally, I probably would have shot him but, again I wasn't there and don't know exactly what the conversation was. I've seen videos with her watching the video and she says he was going on about the goverment. She felt he would drop the weapon and I commend her for her bravery and service.

Also, while I think of it. How incredibly relevant is this!? Way back in 2000 or 2001, this man had been taken to court for stalking a paper-carrier on her rounds. She did not know the man so it wasn't a domestic situation. The case was dismissed when a witness did not show. Some time after that, the man walked into a police station WEARING a handgun in his waistband complaining about some situation he was having that they needed to take care of. He was arrested for illegal concealment of a weapon. The judge ordered him to seek mental evaluation and counselling. He did neither. If he had or if his probation officer had made sure he had then, perhaps none of this would have happened.
Quite relevant. If the mental health aspects had been pursued, then the SRO would likely have never been put in that position.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #65
Turbo Ghost
Movie Star

Yup. That's what I said!