Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 08-10-2009, 07:51 PM   #11
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpyonXero View Post
Thermal expansion/contraction=cracking is what I think Azoom is getting at.
Yeah, I knew what she meant, but if Paul can make silly jokes out of it, so can I
Old 08-10-2009, 07:55 PM   #12
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Go with a floating bamaboo. They are teh shit!!! But hold on to your wallet!

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:08 PM   #13
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpyonXero View Post
Thermal expansion/contraction=cracking is what I think Azoom is getting at.
A little justification or explanation never hurt.

You and she both know that freezing is not a huge issue in Ft. Lauderdale.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:43 PM   #14
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
A little justification or explanation never hurt.

You and she both know that freezing is not a huge issue in Ft. Lauderdale.
it is in NY

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:00 PM   #15
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Why are you getting Bamboo?

The reason I ask is because I'm very interested in Bamboo. I read an article in the current Scientific American that explains a lot about it. It'd be worth it to check it out if you're getting it for the reasons I think.

There are questions you need to ask about Bamboo to ensure you get what you're really after. There are differences in age as well as hardness.

If you're doing it for environmental issues (ie. renewable resource, etc. etc.)....I highly recommend reading the article as it shed a lot of light on that issue as well.

Sorry for the long post.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:56 PM   #16
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

If you're installing over a slab foundation, floating is the only way to go, no matter where you live.

Installing over wood joists/plywood, I use 2 inch staples and a moisture barrier.

Wood vs. Bamboo vs Laminates:

Wood: Good stuff, but expensive. Oak, Maple, Hickory, and other hardwoods, will last forever, and you can refinish them when you have to. Labor intensive if you do it the "right" way, (lay it down, sand it, seal it). Pre-finished hard woods are the next step down. A little cheaper, and less labor.

Bamboo: Tough, durable, "eco-friendly". Comes pre-finished, and can be re-finished. Purdy. The down side, is that Bamboo is basically a whole bunch of grass strings. If you get a lot of water on it, the water will seep in between the cracks in the boards, and the edges will discolor. The remedy for this, is to seal it after installation, which is a pain in the ass. But, at roughly $2.50 a sq. ft., it's a damn nice floor.

Laminates: I don't like them. Sure, they're relatively inexpensive, they "almost" look like wood (no they don't) and they snap together. Legos also snap together, but I wouldn't make a floor out of them. I dislike them in part, because I'm an elitist carpenter asshole. What I really dislike about them, however, is how they "feel". They move. They're installed over a foam underlayment (in most cases), and it just doesn't "feel" like a floor to me. You can drop a wine glass on a Pergo floor, and it will bounce. Very unsatisfying. If I drop a wine glass, I expect the fucker to break, not mock me for having a nancy-boy floor.

But that's just me.

JC
Old 08-10-2009, 11:40 PM   #17
AquaPython
put it THIS way

thanks for your input everyone.

seems most people before and after this thread say floating is the way to go.

is it particularly loud? or no?

i like the eco part, the not as pricey as wood part, and the look.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:43 PM   #18
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
If you're installing over a slab foundation, floating is the only way to go, no matter where you live.

Installing over wood joists/plywood, I use 2 inch staples and a moisture barrier.

Wood vs. Bamboo vs Laminates:

Wood: Good stuff, but expensive. Oak, Maple, Hickory, and other hardwoods, will last forever, and you can refinish them when you have to. Labor intensive if you do it the "right" way, (lay it down, sand it, seal it). Pre-finished hard woods are the next step down. A little cheaper, and less labor.

Bamboo: Tough, durable, "eco-friendly". Comes pre-finished, and can be re-finished. Purdy. The down side, is that Bamboo is basically a whole bunch of grass strings. If you get a lot of water on it, the water will seep in between the cracks in the boards, and the edges will discolor. The remedy for this, is to seal it after installation, which is a pain in the ass. But, at roughly $2.50 a sq. ft., it's a damn nice floor.

Laminates: I don't like them. Sure, they're relatively inexpensive, they "almost" look like wood (no they don't) and they snap together. Legos also snap together, but I wouldn't make a floor out of them. I dislike them in part, because I'm an elitist carpenter asshole. What I really dislike about them, however, is how they "feel". They move. They're installed over a foam underlayment (in most cases), and it just doesn't "feel" like a floor to me. You can drop a wine glass on a Pergo floor, and it will bounce. Very unsatisfying. If I drop a wine glass, I expect the fucker to break, not mock me for having a nancy-boy floor.

But that's just me.

JC
Damn this Jesus dude is pretty smart.

Most hardwood floors are not recommended for use on concrete subfloors. Engineered wood can be put over cement and are typically all floating floors. The main benefit that laminate has over hardwoods and engineered floors is the durability (and typically price). Its very very hard to scratch a laminate compared to hardwood. But look, sound and feel, the hardwood is a lot nicer.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:54 PM   #19
AquaPython
put it THIS way

btw this wll be directly on a cement slab.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:21 AM   #20
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoYZF View Post
Damn this Jesus dude is pretty smart.
What did you expect from the son of a carpenter?