Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-30-2009, 01:53 PM   #61
Ineffable
Kneedragger

Moto: 2009 KTM RC8

Here is an example Link but you can pick these up second hand at virtually any kind of swap meet or used electronics store. You don't have to hook them up to a monitoring service either. Then can send alerts via texts, email, phone call etc. Friend of mine had one installed at his grow cabin in the woods, only person it signaled was him.

P.S. If they have broadband centrally wired in the house then it probably runs by the alarm system which makes using one of these SUPER easy because it just plugs in to an ethernet port.

Last edited by Ineffable; 11-30-2009 at 01:57 PM..
Ineffable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:57 PM   #62
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
Now, about the alarm. I would guess she could be using a master code as suggested above which I doubt since she has to keep looking at her cell phone and doesn't have it memorized by now even though she has probably used it several times. If it was me I would have installed a cellular device (which you can pick up dirt cheap and aren't all that complicated to install) in the alarm system so it would send confirmations to my phone. I don't know this girl but if she is dumb enough to openly show her parents she can beat there system she probably isn't smart enough to do this so maybe she had a friend come and do it. It could also be something supremely stupid like a 'forgotten password' feature. Since it's not monitored the owner isn't required to call the service to change it so it would have to be able to be changed in the house. If so she is probably looking on her phone to get whatever the information required is. Just a guess.
Here's where I don't agree with her getting it sent to her by text.... have you hung out with a teenager recently? I have two. They text. It's what they DO. They text unless the phone is put somewhere else. It think it's just hyper-sensitive parents with their tin-foil hats on that notice she looks at her phone. How about take her phone, change the code and watch her phone to see what it does?

Since when did parents get so afraid of what their children think that they won't take one simple thing away? Actually, it isn't even away - it's knowing what's on her phone and what it's doing. I think they are giving her entirely too much credit to have something that dialed in....

Helicopter - nice term

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:01 PM   #63
unknownroad
Guys... where *are* we?

Moto: SV650 Interstate, CX500 rat-bobber, whatever else runs.

Parents trying to out-do their children at modern technology = fail

Sometimes the simplest methods are the best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg handcuff.jpg (7.5 KB, 66 views)
Old 11-30-2009, 02:01 PM   #64
zlicius
Kneedragger

Moto: Gladius

Was out w/ them to eat the other day and her phone died. Thought she was going to go into convulsions from not texting (withdrawl/detox/whatever). I think you're onto something there.

More and more I think of it she's GOT to know the master code. Now I need to figure out if you can CHANGE the master code.
zlicius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:01 PM   #65
Ineffable
Kneedragger

Moto: 2009 KTM RC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Here's where I don't agree with her getting it sent to her by text.... have you hung out with a teenager recently? I have two. They text. It's what they DO. They text unless the phone is put somewhere else. It think it's just hyper-sensitive parents with their tin-foil hats on that notice she looks at her phone. How about take her phone, change the code and watch her phone to see what it does?

Since when did parents get so afraid of what their children think that they won't take one simple thing away? Actually, it isn't even away - it's knowing what's on her phone and what it's doing. I think they are giving her entirely too much credit to have something that dialed in....

Helicopter - nice term
You make a good point on the texting. My question is why does she still even have a cell phone?
Ineffable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:05 PM   #66
zlicius
Kneedragger

Moto: Gladius

if she's not using the cell phone to hack the system, the cell phone isn't the problem... she pays for the cellphone. they are looking for the CAUSE of it first before making a creative punishment, altho I will pass on Azoomm's ideas which I think may be used. LOL
zlicius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:08 PM   #67
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlicius View Post
Was out w/ them to eat the other day and her phone died. Thought she was going to go into convulsions from not texting (withdrawl/detox/whatever). I think you're onto something there.

More and more I think of it she's GOT to know the master code. Now I need to figure out if you can CHANGE the master code.
Mfg of the alarm system? Why don't they just RTFM?

at Texting - my most recent example. Jordan, ready to go on a ride... didn't even take her gloves off.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:11 PM   #68
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Wait, did you say a sixteen year-old white girl?

Tell her parents to let her out of the house.

She owes me money for the jar of pee she bought.

JC
Old 11-30-2009, 02:39 PM   #69
t-homo
WSB Champion

I can agree with the luck part of teen years. Tell them to buy a big box of condoms and tell her if she has a kid she is on her own at that point.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:00 PM   #70
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

The problem isnt with her getting out, the problem is with them trying to cage her in like an animal.

Your friends fail as parents.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote