Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 12-29-2008, 02:25 AM   #41
rogue
Wanting to Go Back!!!!

Moto: A Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttle View Post
you are right - and confident rider can ride almost anything, but it's hard for some people to gain confidence if they don't feel safe while stopping... heck, after 20 something years I still don't feel confident to ride my hubbies KTM with 37.5 inches
Very true. When I first started riding, I didn't know shit about bikes, gear, or anything. I learned on a V-Star 650 Custom, which is a heavy bike. I could almost flat foot it...couldn't quit get my heels firmly on the ground.....but it was heavy for me, even though the weight was lower to the ground. I couldn't ride it on the interstate because I felt unsteady on it at higher speeds, especially if it was a little windy.

When I got the SV, I didn't take into consideration the differences in the seat height (although I knew it was going to be taller), I was more concerned with the weight of the bike. It was alot lighter and easier for me to manuever, but I lost being comfortable at stopping, etc. I didn't want to lower the bike at first but since it came with lowering links (previous owner was a shorty like me), we lowered her and soon after redone the seat. It gave me time to get to know her and build a little confidence. I'm hard headed and practice stopping with one foot on tip toe (sliding my butt a little off the seat so I could touch) and when I became confident with it, I raised her back to stock and shortly after got another stock seat to replace the one I had redone. She was lowered for about six months.

Later the ex and I bought a little TTR for me. It's sole purpose was to give me a smaller bike to ride and romp on to build my confidence in riding period, which it did. It seems when I started riding dirt, my skill level improved almost overnight. I still have a couple of small issues with being so short legged on the bike, but I work through those as I get to them.

I also rode my ex hubby's KX125 and although it made me nervous to ride on a track full of people, it helped me to overcome alot of my height issues with the SV because the seat height is almost a foot taller than my inseam! I rode it just fine, even with starting and stopping without help. The only help I needed is if I went down on the dirt track. I didn't care for the KX because it was a two stroke....I had never ridden one so the power delivery was a major adjustment. I probably would have done much better on a track on a four stroke.

Looking back, sometimes I kind of wish I had gotten a little smaller bike, something that wouldn't have posed such issues I had to overcome with height issues. But I'm hard headed and seem to only learn the hard way. I think my skill level would have improved at a faster rate than what it has.

My knee pads may be Air-Ride and chrome plated but I have standards as to who I use them on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpaco
so you're just a cougar who doesnt hunt.....a domesticated cougar
Myspace
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:11 PM   #42
MissHell
Followed the crowd over.

Moto: '07 Yahama R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Get her a Honda Nighthawk 250, or the Honda Rebel 250, or that Suzuki's equivalence of the Rebel 250. After she gets comfortable with riding and balancing a bike, then get her something taller so that she can balance on one leg. Starting out with a tallish bike is do-able, but not pleasant and the learning curve is definitely a lot shallower than starting out with a bike that gives her confidence.
Great advice!

I started on an EX250 and glad I did, it helped build my confidence to move up to a bigger bike.
MissHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:33 PM   #43
Cass
Cassolicious!

Moto: SV

30.5 inseam for me, without shoes. 1st gen SV 650, I had about half the foam shaved from the seat. What I didn't do was have the seat narrowed - that would have helped too.

I wear normal MC boots, so the sole isn't too thick - my foot-to-ground ratio is better when I wear something like Doc Martens, but I sacrifice the ankle protection. I have accepted the fact that I won't flat foot the vast majority of bikes in production today, and I'm OK with that.

If your wife is dead-set that she has to flat foot at all times, then it's not real likely that you'll be able to keep her on a sportbike without doing some modification. Get her into cruisers, or work on the suspension big-time. Like Zoomy said... boots will get you so far, and you shouldn't need to rely on them.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:10 PM   #44
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Latex or leather... thigh high.
hell yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! woot-woot
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:16 PM   #45
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
She's too proud to start on a beater cruiser?
She hates the cruisers. She has a ninja 500 now, and has put some decent miles under her belt and wants to step up (I've told her to keep it but she wants another one so)
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:26 PM   #46
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

I hear breast size is very important when picking a bike. Dimesions and pics would help greatly. You know. For the ladies because I care and have tried to end Woman's Suffrage for years.

I know a local female rider. She's got to be around 5'3" or less. She sports a white Ducati 848.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:18 AM   #47
PiZdETS
⎷⎛⎝ ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠ ⎷⎛⎝

Moto: ⎷⎛⎝ ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠ ⎷⎛⎝

I can give the lady riders of short stature a hand free of charge.

I am hereby relieved of liability for damage to your bikes suspension or your dignity.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:48 AM   #48
rogue
Wanting to Go Back!!!!

Moto: A Twin

Damn! How tall are you?

My knee pads may be Air-Ride and chrome plated but I have standards as to who I use them on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpaco
so you're just a cougar who doesnt hunt.....a domesticated cougar
Myspace
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:27 AM   #49
xx CURVE xx
SMELL MY LEVER

Moto: Tards

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiZdETS View Post
I can give the lady riders of short stature a hand free of charge.

I am hereby relieved of liability for damage to your bikes suspension or your dignity.

RAAARRRRR!!!
xx CURVE xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:56 AM   #50
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Damn! How tall are you?

Our Piz is the most ginormous man I have ever met in person, and the best canonballer EVAH!!!

Name throws ya off dont it?
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote