Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 03-23-2009, 11:42 AM   #1
ZUKIMON
Is this thing on?

Moto: '01, 929RR
Default Learned something yesterday....

I rode yesterday with Yamerhaw and a couple of others guys up to the Snake and learned a lot about me and my bike. For one, I now know, without a doubt, that my bike will power wheelie in second gear when trying to keep up with those guys. I also found out that I don't ride nearly as hard as they do, or most others. I am pretty laid back and a conservative type of person, as is Yamerhaw, but when he sets out to get with it, he gets it done.

I have never pushed myself like I did yesterday and to be honest, it was fun. It was also scary as I only had a textile jacket on with good gloves but no riding pants. I worried a lot about draggin a knee and killing my knee in the process. I faired well but still have a lot to learn if I want to hang with those guys. I don't know though, if that type of riding is for me or not. ??? Like I say, I'm pretty much just into getting out and having a good time seeing the scenery and being able to run it if I feel the need. I worry too much about things when I am out on the bike, like my children for example. I know that I need to clear those thoughts and just enjoy the ride but it's hard not to.

Anyhow, just wanted to give props to Yamerhaw and crew from yesterday and say that we saw some cool shit as well. This old dude on a motard passed us all up on the wrong side of the road. It probably wouldn't have happened but there was a truck in front of us and it was hard getting around it. The old man made it look easy as he must have not had a care in the world. He passed me on the wrong side of the road in a blind right hander! Crazy old Indian! lol
Old 03-23-2009, 12:08 PM   #2
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

good post, learning is something we need to never stop doing even if you are seasoned vet. I got a great opportunity to learn yesterday as well. Went for a dual sport ride for the first time and learned a lot about traction and rear wheel control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

one thing I will say is if you don't feel like you can... don't TRY to keep up... that's a quik way to get into shit over your head and not leave enough reaction time in reserve to deal with the unexpected...

good that you still have an open mind to learn though... you might try a track day... I'll be hitting up a couple this year... I'll work on my riding there... enjoy the street.

Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:24 PM   #4
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

sounds like you had a good time. nothing better than getting out with some good friends and having a great time on the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
one thing I will say is if you don't feel like you can... don't TRY to keep up... that's a quik way to get into shit over your head and not leave enough reaction time in reserve to deal with the unexpected...
that is what I was thinking of saying too, always ride your own ride.

we've been riding with someone that is much faster than us, the first time we kinda tried to keep up (and he kinda slowed down). after that Tina said she didn't want to ride with him any more so I brought up to him that we weren't comfortable riding at those speeds on roads that are new to us and just the street (rural roads, lots of farm area) in general. he was understanding and told us he would wait at any turn he was going to make for us to catch up.
zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:25 PM   #5
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Oh yea,I'm sure Yam and the boys would totally leave my old,slow ass in the dust! I used to back it in to corners and such but now I just ride at a fast but relaxed pace. I keep it down to about 60% these days.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:35 PM   #6
Yamerhaw
Country Boy

Moto: 07 R1

pretty fun ride yesterday, and yeah the old man on the tard made some, well "interesting" passes to say the least

yeah dont try to keep up if you're not comfortable, just work on being smooth and picking good lines, and the fast will come in time

it was a fairly spirited ride(maybe 70% or so), bout as fast as i cared to go not wearing full leathers, season just getting started so i didnt want to get too crazy too soon, still a little rusty from not riding over the winter

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.
Yamerhaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:04 PM   #7
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUKIMON View Post
I worried a lot about draggin a knee and killing my knee in the process.
Be very worried about that, its just about the most painful thing in the world.

And if my bike will power wheelie in 3rd so will yours, I laugh at 2nd (and death but I think he's a pussy too so screw him.).
Old 03-23-2009, 10:51 PM   #8
ZUKIMON
Is this thing on?

I do ride my own ride/pace but I would like to learn more. I meant to put this in the first post, We're all squids 'till we learn better. Actually, we are not all squids; some of us are in training to be great. What I'm getting at here is this, I'm sure that there were a lot of people that thought I was probably a squid Sunday. I was learning from those guys, not just trying to show off. I also wasn't trying to learn how to show off. It's like everything that I do or have a passion about. I try to get better at it and progress, not retard the process. I don't want to be able to go knee down in a 90* at a buck 30. I simply want to be able to have a good ride and have fun at the same time. I also think that by knowing how to do this sort of riding, it very well could save my life someday should the situation arise that I need it.

Make sense?
Old 03-23-2009, 10:58 PM   #9
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUKIMON View Post
I do ride my own ride/pace but I would like to learn more. I meant to put this in the first post, We're all squids 'till we learn better. Actually, we are not all squids; some of us are in training to be great. What I'm getting at here is this, I'm sure that there were a lot of people that thought I was probably a squid Sunday. I was learning from those guys, not just trying to show off. I also wasn't trying to learn how to show off. It's like everything that I do or have a passion about. I try to get better at it and progress, not retard the process. I don't want to be able to go knee down in a 90* at a buck 30. I simply want to be able to have a good ride and have fun at the same time. I also think that by knowing how to do this sort of riding, it very well could save my life someday should the situation arise that I need it.

Make sense?
One thing I learned through my travels is that if you ride like a damned fool, people actually see you and say "look at that damned fool, he is going to kill someone." Saves you from getting hit unless you get one of those dreaded left turners,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:04 PM   #10
ZUKIMON
Is this thing on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
One thing I learned through my travels is that if you ride like a damned fool, people actually see you and say "look at that damned fool, he is going to kill someone." Saves you from getting hit unless you get one of those dreaded left turners,

So true, so true!