Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 12-14-2011, 10:06 PM   #201
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
Kentucky is seriously backwards, but I'm pretty sure they have courts there. There are any number of ways the fire dept could collect on a contract.
All a court gets you is a judgement. Getting that judgement payed, especially after a person has just lost what is traditionally their most valuable "asset", is a whole other matter. In most cases by the time the fire department shows up any equity in the house has pretty much been burned out, and that is before the fire department goes and dumps a bunch of water in the home.

The no fire insurance/no fire department available conundrum certainly sucks for manufactured homes, but it is only one of many reasons why a manufactured home can be (but isn't always) a poor decision.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:23 PM   #202
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

A fire departments job is to prevent death and injury of people, and to prevent the fire from spreading to other places that could possibly kill or injure other people. Saving 'stuff' is actually just a bonus. At least that is the requirements in NJ.

I have no problem with firefighters getting shit burn as long as people are not sacrificed in the process.

Where this is going to go wrong is that some guy its gonna forget to pay his $75 bill, be sleeping when his house burns and nobody is gonna rescue him and he dies along with the 4 handicapped foster children living in his house. They are then found by the fire investigators and there will be a big public out cry aghast inst the fire dept for not doing more, then a law will be paused saying fire fighters arte required to enter a burning house to check for forgetful foster parents and their 4 handicapped foster children. Then a firefighter will die entering an empty house that did not pay their fire bill. The firefighter will have left behind 5 handicapped foster kids, and there will be a huge public outcry against forcing firefighters to go into houses unnecessarily.
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:24 AM   #203
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
A fire departments job is to prevent death and injury of people, and to prevent the fire from spreading to other places that could possibly kill or injure other people. Saving 'stuff' is actually just a bonus. At least that is the requirements in NJ.

I have no problem with firefighters getting shit burn as long as people are not sacrificed in the process.

Where this is going to go wrong is that some guy its gonna forget to pay his $75 bill, be sleeping when his house burns and nobody is gonna rescue him and he dies along with the 4 handicapped foster children living in his house. They are then found by the fire investigators and there will be a big public out cry aghast inst the fire dept for not doing more, then a law will be paused saying fire fighters arte required to enter a burning house to check for forgetful foster parents and their 4 handicapped foster children. Then a firefighter will die entering an empty house that did not pay their fire bill. The firefighter will have left behind 5 handicapped foster kids, and there will be a huge public outcry against forcing firefighters to go into houses unnecessarily.
I laughed a bit until I realized this is probably EXACTLY what will happen.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:00 AM   #204
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
All I'm saying is, if I lock myself out of my house. I'd better be damn sure my fees are paid up. Or, I'd have to call a locksmith. Personal responsibility, right?

Some people's kids...
Or you could call the fire department.....

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:46 AM   #205
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roxanne.jpg (67.7 KB, 44 views)

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:56 PM   #206
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
I couldn't do it.

Legal/financial shit aside, if I'm there with the means to save somebodies house from burning down, there's no way I could just stand there with my thumb up my ass.

JC
As much as I want to fight the fire, I could stand there. As long as there are no people in there I'm long losing my job which helps support my family because this guy was too cheap to pay the fee.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:01 PM   #207
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Why do you make it sound as if the guy was a welfare scammer? I didn't see anything about a 52" Flat Screen being involved.

Then maybe Rodeo is not the sport for him.

So what you're saying is, if you're poor, fuck you? Nice.

Kentucky is seriously backwards, but I'm pretty sure they have courts there. There are any number of ways the fire dept could collect on a contract.

I didn't see anything in the story about cigarettes either, don't be a hater.

Now imagine this:

You pay your fee every year, like you're supposed to. Your house catches fire, but the 911 operator can't find your records, or someone forgot to enter your fee on the ledger that year. 911 says sorry, you're not on "the list", no water for you.

Anybody else see where this system is tragically flawed?

JC
The system is flawed but thats how it was done back in the day.

I think it should just be in the property tax. It shouldn't be an option.

If there was anything left to save by the time the firefighters got there I'm sure a $15 fire extinguisher could have taken care of it before someone finished making the 911 call.

James
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Old 12-16-2011, 08:08 PM   #208
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
That's even more fucked up.

Your house doesn't qualify for fire insurance, so we're going to make doubly certain you walk away with nothing, by letting it burn.

Brilliant.

JC
They said the place went down in seconds. Its a trailer. They don't do well in fires. There wouldn't have been much to save it the fire was going good before they woke up.

James
Old 12-16-2011, 08:18 PM   #209
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
They said the place went down in seconds. Its a trailer. They don't do well in fires. There wouldn't have been much to save it the fire was going good before they woke up.

James
And most everything that would be left to "save" would be destroyed from pouring a large volume of high pressure water on it anyway.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:10 AM   #210
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Quote:

Now imagine this:

You pay your fee every year, like you're supposed to. Your house catches fire, but the 911 operator can't find your records, or someone forgot to enter your fee on the ledger that year. 911 says sorry, you're not on "the list", no water for you.

Anybody else see where this system is tragically flawed?

JC
THAT I can see happening and that's the only point on which I agree.