Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-02-2009, 04:13 PM   #1
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R
Default Target fixation is BAD....VERY bad

So I'm riding back from the big Cassoday rally today...gorgeous day...no wind...no clouds..mild temps...just PERFECT. Tons of people out on their bikes enjoying the day....great rally...big fun.

Anyway, my friends and I get stuck behind some slower riders on 177 on the way home and settle in...it's only a few miles south to a scenic route through El Dorado Lake State Park...the guy (and his woman) in front of us on an 1800VTX (no gear for either of them) looks pretty shaky on some of the 45 mph sweepers on the highway so we back off a bit and give him some room. They turned into El Dorado State Park too....the first corner is a 25 mph left hander...my best friend and I are probably 50 yards behind them....he doesn't even make the apex before he panics mid corner, stands the bike up....stomps on the brakes...and rides it right off the rode into a wicked steep ditch. He managed to miss the corner signs...but they at it HUGE once they left the road. She got the worst of it...landed awkwardly on her face with her body nearly vertical and bent over backwards.

We pulled over immediately....a guy in a truck behind us said he was an off duty EMT and began to treat her at the scene while we called 911. EMS arrived and began to treat her...huge gash on her forehead and left arm...and totally knocked out. He said he hit gravel and lost it....I saw the whole thing..he panicked mid corner, target fixated on the outside edge...and rode it right into the ditch. It sucked to see them get hurt over something so easily preventable.

In happier news, I had my bike dyno'd....113 HP...111 ft/lbs of torque. Bit of a flat spot around 3k. He said he could easily tune that out with my PC-III. Maybe I'll give him the work next week-end.

Here's a vid of the 3rd dyno pull...

KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote