Flexin
AMA Supersport

Default Kimbo's back.

http://www.fightnews.com/?p=12816#more-12816

Jun
Why Kimbo Slice is still relevant
Love him or hate him, Kimbo Slice will Make TUF 10 a ratings giant

By Brady Crytzer

UFC president Dana White has rattled the cages of MMA fans everywhere by announcing that Kimbo Slice, the former golden boy of the organization’s now defunct competitor, would be trying his luck on the tenth season of The Ultimate Fighter. But, after a crushing (and embarrassing) loss to the unheralded Seth Petruzelli in 2008, why should the public be so quick to take Slice back? Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice? Not this time. There is good reason to be genuinely excited about this free agent acquisition…and here’s why. WHY WE SHOULD CARE.

Raw Deal: In the world of professional boxing it would be unheard of to pit a rookie fighter against a twenty fight veteran regardless of ability. Case in point, although he is heralded as a future star in professional boxing, 2004 Olympic Gold Medalist Andre Ward has just recently taken the next step in his career against a game Edison Miranda. While ability may have suggested otherwise, Ward used those essential four years to grow and develop into a true title contender.

In his first four fights, Slice faced fighters with a combined total of 83 professional fights, ridiculous in comparison when compared to the aforementioned Ward’s first four opponents totaling 14 bouts. When he faced James Thompson, a nearly 25 fight veteran, Slice was criticized for his sloppy victory. Two professional bouts hardly qualifies him to be placed in that unjust limelight. The Ultimate Fighter is designed for young fighters to be given the chance to grow into true professionals.

Let’s watch Slice take that chance.

IF HE DOES WELL . . .

Ratings Spike: The Ultimate Fighter is the catalyst for the success that the UFC has enjoyed over the last four years. In recent seasons, similar scenarios and mediocre talent has left fans of the hit reality series wanting more. The UFC has made impressive adjustments (such as the “must win” scenario in the opening episodes and the hugely popular “USA vs. UK” concept) and Slice’s presence will take The Ultimate Fighter 10 to a whole new level. Season Ten will feature coaches Rashad Evans and Quinton “Rampage” Jackson which will culminate in a fantastic superfight. To put it bluntly, the tenth season of TUF will be the most watched in history.

IF HE WINS . . .

Heavy Hopes: The UFC’s top heavy heavyweight division will get a much needed booster. Regardless of your opinion of him, Slice remains as one of the most fan friendly sluggers in sports since Mark McGuire. While stars like Brock Lesnar and Frank Mir make the UFC’s heavyweight division one of the most exciting in the sport, recent retirement hints left by longtime staples Randy Couture and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira leave an ominously present gap in future plans. After all, The Ultimate Fighter 10 is exclusively featuring heavyweights for a reason.

IF HE LOSES . . .

Curtain Call: The UFC is truly in a no lose situation when considering the prospects of Kimbo Slice. If he wins TUF 10, a fresh, highly marketable star is reborn. If he loses, the UFC can finally close the book on the overhyped mythology that surrounded Kimbo Slice. While the light that surrounds Slice will burn out, a new star will be born…and he’ll be fighting for the UFC.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:38 PM   #2
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

I'm looking forward to this coming TUF. Besides Kimbo, there are 4 ex-NFL players in the mix. It's about time they start padding the Heavyweight division. It's been the weakest of them all for a while now.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:41 AM   #3
Rider
Moto GP Star

I don't care about this jabrone, but I am looking forward to the Brown vs Faber fight on Sunday.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
NeonspeedRT
At Large

Moto: 2005 R1

When does the new season start?

"Riding a motorcycle is like playing chess. Anyone can learn the moves, but it takes a lifetime to master the game."
NeonspeedRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:31 AM   #5
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

And the transformation of MMA into a soap opera continues.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:38 AM   #6
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
While the TUF stuff has been a little more drama focused, I give props to Kimbo for taking up Dana White on the offer to show that he has a place in the sport. He's taking the same opportunity that has produced some solid UFC fighters, and if he pays attention to the coaches, he may have a chance to score some respect and maybe a two or three fight contract even if he doesn't lose. In no way will it be easy for him. I guarantee that everyone on the show will be looking to take him out to make their own little name for themselves. Is this a great PR stunt to draw in more ratings? Of course, but it gives him the opportunity to prove he's legitimate, instead of being spoon fed washed up idiots to artificially inflate his record.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:02 PM   #7
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
While the TUF stuff has been a little more drama focused, I give props to Kimbo for taking up Dana White on the offer to show that he has a place in the sport. He's taking the same opportunity that has produced some solid UFC fighters, and if he pays attention to the coaches, he may have a chance to score some respect and maybe a two or three fight contract even if he doesn't lose. In no way will it be easy for him. I guarantee that everyone on the show will be looking to take him out to make their own little name for themselves. Is this a great PR stunt to draw in more ratings? Of course, but it gives him the opportunity to prove he's legitimate, instead of being spoon fed washed up idiots to artificially inflate his record.
I think its cool that they are giving him the shot. Its not like they are just signing him to a big ass contract. He is given a chance and he has to run with it. Just like in golf. I only watch mma every now and then. Sometimes I will watch it for hours straight because spike will play it all day long sometimes but I'm more into boxing. But I still watch that show off and on, I like watching them develop.

James
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Old 06-04-2009, 05:06 PM   #8
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
What about Kimbo being there makes it more of a soap opera?

James
Old 06-05-2009, 03:35 PM   #9
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

A buddy of mine is a mirror image of Kimbo...he gets free drinks out of it on occasion.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:39 PM   #10
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

I didn't like what Elite XC did with him by throwing him on main events right away.

And while I don't think he's much of a fighter compared to other MM Artists, I do like that he's being given a shot and having to earn his spot in the ring.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote