Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 12-06-2008, 04:25 PM   #1
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

Notice that Ford conveniently left out the Nissan Titan.

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:45 AM   #2
James
aka Reyn

Moto: General Lee Bigwheel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
that's what I was thinking...

When I was truck shopping, I drove all the full size trucks (except Dodge) and liked the Titan over the rest - by far. This was 4 yrs ago, so who knows how they stack up now. Hell my Titan doesn't even have 35k miles yet lol
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:33 AM   #3
pickle.of.doom
el diablo de verde

Moto: VTR, CBR, DRZSM

I don't know about the full size range, but when I was truck shopping in the mid-size range a few years back, all of the American options were overpriced pieces of junky shit compared to my Frontier. Simple as that.

WOS Forums
pickle.of.doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:53 PM   #4
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
The only "foul" I'll call on these tests is that they obviously played to their "strengths" but each manufacturer has areas where they are superior. Plus,they all have similar videos out that "prove" their truck is the best,for example,

Dodge; http://ramchallenge.yahoo.com/index....lengeMicrosite

Besides,in the fuel mileage test,the model Chevy they used will out 0-60,out tow and out haul the Ford. That's got to count for something as well. BTW my Silverado had the 4/6/8 Max motor that switched how many cylinders fired depending on what you were doing and at what speed you were traveling. So you could get 19-20 mpg cruising down the freeway but if you needed all the power the 6 liter could give it was available. I doubt the 4.? liter in the Ford can hang!

Toyota also has their strong points. It's all relative and you have to consider what you are going to use the truck for.

I personally never believe these kinds of "tests". I'd like to see the option lists for all of these trucks and the price tags. I know that Chevy and Dodge offer towing packages and suspension options for their trucks that may have not been present.
But the dodge thing was nothing but dodge trucks... interesting but no comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Because of fleet sales, government sales, and such? Pretty much......
Could be true but with the way companies are, the bottom line of money is going to be triumph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
I am always amazed how people that aren't from Detroit don't GET IT. A REAL TRUE Truck should never be anything but a Domestic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by '73 H1 Triple View Post
If GM would combine Chevy truck and GMC sales, those numbers outsell Ford.

Jeff
I drove them all and still have had the best luck with my fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
they all come up invalid... but your probably talking about the top gear episode... where they burn, flood, wreck, roll, drop a trailor on it, and demolish a building out from under it and still drive it.
Hey gave your toyo a free pass due to said episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
I understand the first video, as it relays just how flexable the frame is... and how well the suspension does it's job...

but the others I do have a little issue with... especially the second and third ones.

the second can be almost completely elimenated by loading your trailer correctly... and by not letting off the throttle as the semi goes by... or... by just accelorating after the semi goes by...

so what's that test prove? that Fords are better for people who need to learn about towing things proberly? for people who often carry unsafe loads?

don't get me wrong... the technology is great... but again... wouldn't be that big a deal if it was just properly loaded.

the 3rd video is just stupid... so great... you can haul a heavier load with the ford at higher speeds... just what we need. This has to do with frame ridgity... so basicly it's a 2nd test proving what the first did... ford has a fully boxed frame that's quite stiff...

the 4th video, I'm just intrested how much of the human factor came in to play... given they were stoping and going... and you have humans driving so how do you get relative data? also it says 38m... that's great... but what does it mean? 38 mins at what speed? a lower speed would relate to maybe .5 or 1 mpg more... which is where I think this ended up or they'd have said... we went 3 miles further than the dodge... ect.
I am CONSTANTLY yelling at people for inproper loading. Many people always load furthest forward on a trailer (say heavy equipment). Putting all that on tongue weight instead of letting the trailer do its own work with the load. I didn't load the below pic or I would have moved the skidsteer about another 1' back. But you get the idea. many would put it all the way forward and that is why the manufactures have created so many "stupid people" fixes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle.of.doom View Post
I don't know about the full size range, but when I was truck shopping in the mid-size range a few years back, all of the American options were overpriced pieces of junky shit compared to my Frontier. Simple as that.

Mid size... GO BIG OR GO HOME I fuckin hate small trucks

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:04 PM   #5
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

I was just putting up an example of a company "proving" their truck is the best. I mean you don't see all that body shake in Dodge's video. Oh and as far as the load pictured,taking into account the massive weight of the bucket,if they fully released the hydraulics that is,I'd say that you are right. personally,when we pulled a 8X24 to Daytona from Mi,we always used load levelers. Oh,and how does the truck stop the trailer from wagging with the only connection being the ball? Yes,I know how to haul,but if you have to get out of the gas while a semi is passing you,what can the truck do to fix it without compromising the reason your wish to decelerate?
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:57 PM   #6
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

I have driven the Titan and was pretty impressed with it. never got the chance to offroad it though so I figured I didn't test it out properly.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:22 PM   #7
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

I don't give a fuck how many trucks they sold. Longevity is my main concern. I got my truck to haul my bike around and that's pretty much it. And it does it effortlessly. I've towed a 15' enclosed trailer with my bike in it and it did with no problem at all. I don't see me going over 1/4-mile speed bump paths either. The day I have a job working at a construction site, then I might look at all those tests and make a pick. Until then, I'll go with the proven winner in longevity...Toyota. And last I checked, I didn't drive a Tundra, I drove a Tacoma. Where's the mid-sized proving grounds at?

The new F150 looks tight though.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:17 PM   #8
Mudpuppy
South of Heaven

Moto: 2006 Yamaha R1 50th Anniversary Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Fuck Dlit and FUCK TOYotas... hell the other 2 on top of that... and I drive a damn chevy

(will give excemption to Ebbs old ass truck)

Further this is why the F150 has been the #1 selling truck for how many years? Like 20? Fucking long time...

Proving Grounds
the new f150 is bad ass for sure.. i have drove every brand, haven't yet drove the 09 f150, and i can say that by far the f150 has always been superior.. the new one just looks like they improved on a good thing.. i look forward to driving one soon.. have to wait for a good snowy day and do a test drive down some unplowed roads.. already had my expedition out for some winter fun over the weekend - fuck i love that expedition - it's such a god damn tank and just wants to drive through anything.. it's a ton of fun to drive especially off road..

Learn about photography: ATP Members
Mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:03 AM   #9
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I was just putting up an example of a company "proving" their truck is the best. I mean you don't see all that body shake in Dodge's video. Oh and as far as the load pictured,taking into account the massive weight of the bucket,if they fully released the hydraulics that is,I'd say that you are right. personally,when we pulled a 8X24 to Daytona from Mi,we always used load levelers. Oh,and how does the truck stop the trailer from wagging with the only connection being the ball? Yes,I know how to haul,but if you have to get out of the gas while a semi is passing you,what can the truck do to fix it without compromising the reason your wish to decelerate?
By smackin the trailer brakes while stayin in the throttle. I've hauled more trailers than most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
I don't give a fuck how many trucks they sold. Longevity is my main concern. I got my truck to haul my bike around and that's pretty much it. And it does it effortlessly. I've towed a 15' enclosed trailer with my bike in it and it did with no problem at all. I don't see me going over 1/4-mile speed bump paths either. The day I have a job working at a construction site, then I might look at all those tests and make a pick. Until then, I'll go with the proven winner in longevity...Toyota. And last I checked, I didn't drive a Tundra, I drove a Tacoma. Where's the mid-sized proving grounds at?

The new F150 looks tight though.
Understandable... but I don't see where anybody can say anything either way on one out lasting the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnyce View Post
why does a truck have to be domestic? thats retarded. i know its just your opinion, but damn. i dont believe u typed that lol
You're not from Detroit (motor city) so you won't understand. Maybe Mud can speakith. But till he does I will try.

Listen its simple... if any of the big 3 go down the fall out will be INSANE!! I think I was told that for every 1 worker at the Big 3, 9 others loose their jobs. THink of the companies that make the products for the vechicles, then a truck company that hauls it the factory, then the guys that unload it at the factory, the guy who assembles it to the car, the truck company that hauls the cars away to the dealers, the kid that checks them in, the guy who preps the car, the kid that washes the car, the salesman who sells it, the service writer and mechanic that services it, the parts people who sell the replacement parts, ect... the list is incrediable. Not too mention then all of those people stop buying other goods.

Do we really want our country to be a totally consumer based society? Do we want us to buy EVERYTHING from overseas?

Or

Do we want our country to be on the leading edge of technology and create products that are sold worldwide? It is OBVIOUS to anybody with a brain that these other countries don't have the the quality control and stringent guidelines that USA does. Hence lead paint on kids toys, shafty craftsmanship, ect.

The world is seeing the light that you get what you pay for and there is going to be a increased demand for more "Made in USA". I know I have been trying hard to do so for many years now. I can honestly tell you, that I WILL NOT own a foreign car in my driveway. PERIOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpuppy View Post
the new f150 is bad ass for sure.. i have drove every brand, haven't yet drove the 09 f150, and i can say that by far the f150 has always been superior.. the new one just looks like they improved on a good thing.. i look forward to driving one soon.. have to wait for a good snowy day and do a test drive down some unplowed roads.. already had my expedition out for some winter fun over the weekend - fuck i love that expedition - it's such a god damn tank and just wants to drive through anything.. it's a ton of fun to drive especially off road..
This man knows his shit on this and works in the industry. Teach em Mud!

I love the new look of the F150. The dodge looks like shit. And I have never grown to like the new chevy front end from 2008+. I do like the new dodge side boxes, but the fords isn't a slouch either... their steps are awesome and that bedliner organizer thing is pimp.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:08 AM   #10
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Um...I'm familiar with trailer brakes,my question is how does the truck stop the tail from wagging? Unless this system incorpoates the trailer brakes BUT what if your trailer doesn't have brakes,what then?
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote