Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Sports Bar

Old 10-18-2010, 08:02 PM   #21
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
I think the end of Football is inevitable, at least in its current form anyway. As more and more stories of concussions keep flowing out, and how bad they are long-term, etc. etc. there is going to be more liability for public schools to continue running football programs. Which would spell doom for the NFL eventually IMO.

MMA will probably go first though, unless they find a way to eliminate post-ko punches...
I can't see it happening at all (the football not MMA). I have seen some of the football fields at some of the US schools and it you wanted to get rid of football you would have to pry it from their cold dead hands.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:25 AM   #22
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
I can't see it happening at all (the football not MMA). I have seen some of the football fields at some of the US schools and it you wanted to get rid of football you would have to pry it from their cold dead hands.

James
Trust me man, I live in the center of it. The High Schools around here have near-NFL quality stadiums...even the ones out in the boonies.

I don't think it matters though. The unfortunate truth about head injuries is coming out, kids are definitely at risk playing contact football, and that's going to put the schools liable everytime a kid gets knocked out.

As far as MMA, yea, you've got a ton of guys that are obviously fucked up in the head. You've got vicious hits after the knockout where they're bouncing a guy's head off the mat while he's unconscious. The whole point of MMA is to give someone a concussion...

I love football and MMA, but I recognize the society we live in won't tolerate them for many more years.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:29 AM   #23
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Trust me man, I live in the center of it. The High Schools around here have near-NFL quality stadiums...even the ones out in the boonies.

I don't think it matters though. The unfortunate truth about head injuries is coming out, kids are definitely at risk playing contact football, and that's going to put the schools liable everytime a kid gets knocked out.

As far as MMA, yea, you've got a ton of guys that are obviously fucked up in the head. You've got vicious hits after the knockout where they're bouncing a guy's head off the mat while he's unconscious. The whole point of MMA is to give someone a concussion...

I love football and MMA, but I recognize the society we live in won't tolerate them for many more years.
With football they get the parents to sign waivers kind of releasing the school of liability. I know down your way some parents would disown their kids if they didnt want to play football.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:37 AM   #24
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
With football they get the parents to sign waivers kind of releasing the school of liability. I know down your way some parents would disown their kids if they didnt want to play football.
Those waivers are great for things that aren't thought to carry a high percentage for serious, life-long injury. But if the school officials can be shown to be aware of research that confirms many players will suffer brain damage every year, and they allow the football program to go on the same, they'll be liable for lawsuits to shut the program down.

All the pro-football parents, and yes there are a lot of them down here, will be drown out by the "think about the children" crowd. Protecting children is first and foremost in having cool shit outlawed, its just that we haven't really been aware how profound concussions can be until somewhat recently.

Many schools have already phased out P.E., Athletics doesn't seem like that much of a stretch, especially when the health factor is combined with continuing financial woes in Public Schools.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:52 PM   #25
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

many years ago our high school lost a player on the field from a hit like that. he broke his neck and died on the field.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:15 PM   #26
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
many years ago our high school lost a player on the field from a hit like that. he broke his neck and died on the field.
You always seem to hear about one or 2 a year. realsports had a good piece on a family from texas I believe. The son suffered a spinal cord injury playing football and formed a support group to help other playes and their families. They travel out to them to talk to them and kinda help them get going in the right direction.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:39 PM   #27
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:

Many schools have already phased out P.E., Athletics doesn't seem like that much of a stretch, especially when the health factor is combined with continuing financial woes in Public Schools.
The HS I went to would never get rid of the football program, it pays for itself, all the other sports, new textbooks every few years, and built an addition on the school a few years back.