Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Beginner's End

Old 04-21-2008, 10:37 PM   #11
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by comonboys View Post
You are evil.....

But you didn't answer my question ass... I was just wondering if I can.... I need to have this done tonight cause I work at 8 by myself so I won't be able to get to the shop til after 5. Is it something that I can drop a little quick..... Plus I have NO idea where cutty put out drop pan.....
well actually I DID answer the question when I told you could do it back in my first post... :P

it'll take about 10 mins(if that)...Run the bike for about 5 mins to warm it up you'll need something to catch the extra oil in anyways... so you'll need to find something...

TIP:

When you loosen the drain plug loosen it to the last couple threads... put a ziplock bag over your hand... and unscrew it the rest of the way... count to one onethousand and reinsert the drain plug. tighten it finger tight and check the oil level. if still hight repeat... but I'm sure you'll be good after the first time... if your low... add a little...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:38 PM   #12
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

im guessing it'll just do it again if you're not VERY careful unscrwing it. its gonna get messy, so wear gloves or somethin if you got em.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:38 PM   #13
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1

Also, before deciding for sure that there's too much in there, consult your owner's manual. Some bikes are INTENDED to be read while on the sidestand, while others are supposed to be upright (which means you'll need someone else there to stand the bike up while you look at the oil level window, unless you can muscle it up and hold it there from a crouched position).
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:41 PM   #14
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
im guessing it'll just do it again if you're not VERY careful unscrwing it. its gonna get messy, so wear gloves or somethin if you got em.
exactly...

and if you do drop the plug... it's gonna drain ALOT more oil then you meant... so like I said... easiest way... would be just get a clean bin and drain it all... then add what you need back in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by neebelung View Post
Also, before deciding for sure that there's too much in there, consult your owner's manual. Some bikes are INTENDED to be read while on the sidestand, while others are supposed to be upright (which means you'll need someone else there to stand the bike up while you look at the oil level window, unless you can muscle it up and hold it there from a crouched position).
huh... didn't know that.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:58 PM   #15
neebelung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
huh... didn't know that.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:05 PM   #16
comonboys
Ridin Naked. HMMMMM......

Moto: 650 SV

Quote:
when cutty helped me do the oil change he said that it must be tipped up. We don't have an owners manual that I know of. but we do have the haynes manual and that doesn't say much of anything. THanks for the info though neebs.
comonboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:07 PM   #17
neebelung

Quote:
Originally Posted by comonboys View Post
when cutty helped me do the oil change he said that it must be tipped up. We don't have an owners manual that I know of. but we do have the haynes manual and that doesn't say much of anything. THanks for the info though neebs.
Well since he's kept the bike road worthy this long, I'd go with what he says.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:09 PM   #18
comonboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
I was VERY careful this time. I did get some on me but nothing soap and water couldn't wash off. It's all ok now I believe. When i was tipping it and looking it looked now between the full and empty. So I am going to double check tomorrow morning. However with the weather guy said it's 33 right now and it's going to get cold tonight. Thank god cutty got me those pants...

Thank you all for your help I really do appreciate it. I am used to having people take care of all my maintance for motor transportation so this is news to me. I will make sure and double check tomorrow morning...

Quote:
Well since he's kept the bike road worthy this long, I'd go with what he says.
Yeah, I on going to go with that too. Sheesh!!! I listened to him.... Write that one down in the books.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:12 PM   #19
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

it's nice when you can work on your shit your self huh... not have to worry about shops and paying them... and what not. I'm no mechanic... but I can do all the preventive maintenance to help make those times that I have to take it to the shop much more infrequent
Old 04-21-2008, 11:18 PM   #20
comonboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
it's nice when you can work on your shit your self huh... not have to worry about shops and paying them... and what not. I'm no mechanic... but I can do all the preventive maintenance to help make those times that I have to take it to the shop much more infrequent
Yeah, it will be nice to not have to go to the shop everytime I don't know what's going on with my bike.... I asked Cutty to help me learn since he might have to go to kosovo, so I will be able to maintain my bike. It's good to know I have all you guys to count on tooo.....

LOL are you sure you want us to move with you. You'll become my bitch then ebbs.... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA