Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-23-2008, 10:36 AM   #1
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600
Default Considering a summer in Alaska....

Anyone ever been there or know someone who has worked up there?

A friend of mine has a summer job locked down in Talkeetna, which is about 2 hours north of Anchorage. Another friend and I were considering traveling up there and spending the summer working and experiencing the state.

I am set to graduate in 3 weeks and I was going to get a job in Savannah and then begin my work life until I decide to go back to school in 2 or 3 years. However, the idea of heading up to Alaska and working for a bit sounds like it would be a memorable experience.

Everyone I have suggested this idea to have given me outstanding responses so far. I was wondering if anyone here had some first hand knowledge or experience they could share with me?

I would probably head up there sometime in late May and just throw my bed, desk, and bike in a storage unit. My car can be parked at a friends house while I am gone and my mom has vowed to take care of my dog for the 5 or 6 months. I am young, single, responsible for very few bills at this point, and in dire need of adventure. If I don't this kinda crap soon, I probably never will.

Discuss!

Thanks

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:44 AM   #2
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Do eet!! I spent 3 weeks in Anchorage one summer. Absolutely beautiful. I say go for it while you can!!!
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:48 AM   #3
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Do it. I lived in Eagle River just north of Anchorage for 3 years. Summers are amazing up there. Just don't stay for winter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:27 AM   #4
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Ebb's dumbass lived there...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:33 PM   #5
Rider
Moto GP Star

See if you can get a summer job at the Denali National Park.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:49 PM   #6
t-homo
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Ebb's dumbass lived there...
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:12 PM   #7
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

I lived up there for three years... just left there in Jan actually... it's a fucking GORGEOUS place... if your just spending a summer there.... it's AWESOME... what sucks is the length of the winters... they drag on and on and on... and on!
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:04 PM   #8
Mudpuppy
South of Heaven

Moto: 2006 Yamaha R1 50th Anniversary Edition

i went up there in 2006 and if you spend a summer there you may never come back.. i am still trying to figure out how i can move there.. only problem with my plan is i need a lear jet that will haul my track bikes so i can still come down to the lower 48 for track days.. i think the bank is almost buying into my plan of quitting my job, hunting, fishing and flying to do track days - i actually got the branch manager on the phone and he said STOP FUCKING CALLING HERE AND GET BACK TO WORK.. that's big progress from the laughing at me and hanging up on me in the past..

Learn about photography: ATP Members
Mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:39 PM   #9
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

yeah the summers are awesome... but two winters and you'll be like... what fucking summer...

the 22hrs of daylight is fucking awesome! they have lot's of "mid night sun" parties especially as you go north and they really have 24hrs of day light!

it'll fuck with ya though for a little bit... you'll be tired as shit and it'll look like it's 330 in the after noon. look at your watch and it'll be 1130.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:42 PM   #10
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpuppy View Post
i went up there in 2006 and if you spend a summer there you may never come back.. i am still trying to figure out how i can move there.. only problem with my plan is i need a lear jet that will haul my track bikes so i can still come down to the lower 48 for track days.. i think the bank is almost buying into my plan of quitting my job, hunting, fishing and flying to do track days - i actually got the branch manager on the phone and he said STOP FUCKING CALLING HERE AND GET BACK TO WORK.. that's big progress from the laughing at me and hanging up on me in the past..
It gets fucking old quick. By the end of 3 years I either wanted to murder someone or kill myself. Alaska is the devil. I did my time in that place and I will never go back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is online now   Reply With Quote