Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-14-2008, 03:24 PM   #1
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600
Default Help choosing a new camera!

Sorry I haven't been around much, been very busy moving out of my college town and trying to store all my crap away before my long drive to Alaska.

More importantly, I am trying to find a new camera before the trip. My old camera takes decent pictures but is about 4 years old. Just looking for basic advice here.

Such as the different between a SLR and a simple point and shoot camera. I assume there is much more to any camera then its Megapix?

I have about 400s I could use at Bestbuy and could throw some extra cash in on stop of that. Maybe up to 600 bucks at most?

Thanks

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:28 PM   #2
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

Mayb too expensive for you but WAY worth it. I bought it for my wife and it takes amazing pics. Better quality than point and shoot ones from close up to far away, regardless of megapix.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-...0793193&sr=1-2

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:30 PM   #3
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Thanks for the link. A friend of mine got a Rebel D20 (Ithink) about 3 years ago. It was a rebel something, and it was expensive as hell at the time but the pictures he took were amazing.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

I have both a SLR (cannon) and a point and shoot (nikon)...

and I'll tell ya... the Cannon has soo many settings and shit... you can do soo much more with it... but only if you know how... and are willing to sit down and learn and fuck around with it.

The Nikon is nice because I just point and click and get good pics... MOST of my bike pics were taken with my Nikon... and a lot of the scenery pics of ak are too (all of the panorama shots are Nikon)

you can get some great shots with a point and shoot if your just looking to pull it out and take pics... you can get better ones if you plan on setting your camera up with the SLR.

so kinda depends on what you wanna do with your cam...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:34 PM   #5
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

If you are wanting to spend above $400 range for a camera, definitely get an SLR. You will have to spend more than $600 though. This would put you in the lower quality SLRs though. In this range I would go with a Nikon D40/D40x or the Rebel XT/XTi. You have Canon Fanboys and Nikon Fanboys that will get you to go one way or the other, it's really what you can find the better deal on in the end though. If you got any friends with SLRs, it's best to see what they have because you can bum a lens or a flash off of them if you get the same brand. I bought A a Nikon D40x because it had an awesome deal going on it and the case/buttons are a bit better quality and she is a bit rough on it.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:41 PM   #6
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Damn it, this wasn't supposed to be tough.

I really like that Xti that DLIT posted up and its available at best buy for about 20 dollars more.

Ebbs, you bring a good point. I am used to the easy point and shoot cameras which are really handy to have and take great pictures. I do enjoy photography and my dad is really deep into it. I am going to talk to him tonight and see what he says. He is a big Nikon guy, so if I went that way he might have some lenses I could bum.

Choices to be made.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:49 PM   #7
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

if your dad is deep into it I'd go with a SLR... as long as he's willing to show ya... that's my biggest problem with my cannon... I've not learned how to really use it... I need to do more tinkering...

but yeah go with a Nikon SLR and bum your dad's lenses
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:53 PM   #8
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Yeah if your dad has Nikon, definitely go Nikon.

looks like they call the xti equivalent the d60 now.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1200703005185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:16 PM   #9
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

The SLR is bigger and bulkier but will give you more control, better photos, and it's modular (lenses, etc).

If you want a point and shoot this is the one I recently bought:

CEO's new camera thread

I plan to get an SLR eventually, the P&S will be my main / daily camera.
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:58 PM   #10
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
The SLR is bigger and bulkier but will give you more control, better photos, and it's modular (lenses, etc).

If you want a point and shoot this is the one I recently bought:

CEO's new camera thread

I plan to get an SLR eventually, the P&S will be my main / daily camera.
Yep,I've been dealing with the same thing. So many choices. If your dad has a Nikon and lenses he'd let you use,that'll fit, then it's a no brainer. The main question is are you a quick,point and shoot carry the camera in a pocket sort of guy or are you gonna bring a bag with lenses,tripod,flash,etc and really set up a shot. I have an DSLR that I barely use that stays on "auto" mode all the time. I have it in this big ol' bag that I hate to lug around. Besides,won't your dad let you use his pro gear if you really need it? Sony,Fujifilm,Canon and a few others make great in-between cameras with decent MPs (8+)and 10,12,15 or even 18x optical zoom for around $300-400. If I were you I'd go that direction and if anything,spend some extra dough on a weather resistant case if you're taking one of those boat tours. Sea spray will kill your camera nowish! Oh here's a link for the Fuji I'll probably get http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...outThisProduct

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 05-14-2008 at 07:02 PM..
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote