Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Aftermarket Modding

Old 03-31-2010, 09:46 AM   #11
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontwo View Post
I've heard that from everyone on SVR. What makes them better than the other brands? Or are they just cheaper?
cheap and they hold up well with the through the frame bolt.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:38 AM   #12
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Truth. Had some other ones on the SV when the gf dropped it before, luckly didn't mess up the frame, but the bolts bent, even though the sliders were perfectly fine. I believe the through the frame bolt will be much more durable.

Me personally, I'd do smaller/brighter turn signals, ditch the reflectors, and a pipe to get rid of the sewing machine sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:37 PM   #13
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontwo View Post
I'll agree with the tankbra ditch. Get you a pad and some TechSpec gripster for the sides. You will love the way they grip. No more legs sliding all over the tank. The Techspec is much easier to work with than the Stompgrip.

Are you gonna keep the silver? If so, Colorite sells rattle can to match make and model. You might consider it for the bikini.
I already bought the tank bra last night I may eventually go with a tank pad anyway but I figured it was easy to take on and off so no biggie. I am literally right on the tank though because I am so small so I want to make sure I am not scratching the tank with zipper, etc.

I'll keep it silver for now just because its easier. I tried colorite on the car once and I did a horrible splotchy job. What are the steps to painting? Priming, paint, clear coat? Sanding in between?
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:39 PM   #14
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I had the motosliders before and I like them but never had to test them though. I went with T-rex sliders, because they were cheaper. Only $34! It has the frame bolt too and made of the same material. I am not sure if they are as long as the motosliders though but they were half the price!
Old 03-31-2010, 04:41 PM   #15
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
I already bought the tank bra last night I may eventually go with a tank pad anyway but I figured it was easy to take on and off so no biggie. I am literally right on the tank though because I am so small so I want to make sure I am not scratching the tank with zipper, etc.

I'll keep it silver for now just because its easier. I tried colorite on the car once and I did a horrible splotchy job. What are the steps to painting? Priming, paint, clear coat? Sanding in between?
The issue with the tank bra's is that stuff gets under them and fucks up the paint. So what you are trying to prevent is happening anyway. Get the pad post haste and sell the bra to some schlub on the internet.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:42 PM   #16
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdog View Post
Sell the blue and buy a gray fairing.

I do my usual safety mods first on every bike I buy: rear brake flasher, brighter headlight bulbs, frame sliders. A sick looking bike doesn't pay medical bills.
Whats a rear brake flasher? Does it flash when you are holding down the brake? Good idea on the brighter bulbs.

I'm not going to crazy with cosmetic stuff now just because its been a while since I have been on a bigger bike so I have to learn to ride it all over again.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:52 PM   #17
Kerry_129
Semi-reformed Squid

Best money you can spend on and SV is RaceTech cartridge emulators for the front forks (springs also, ideally, but the stock one's are prolly OK for your weight) & a GSXR shock (ebay). Cosmetic stuff & a pipe won't keep it from bouncing around like a pogo-stick under braking/acceleration/cornering - which stock SV's do badly.
Kerry_129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:55 PM   #18
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Quote:
Well, I am officially poor, so nothing drastic or pricey for now. First things first though, I have ordered frame sliders and am will be ordering a tank bra in about 10 minutes since I sit right up on the tank.

I'm thinking of maybe painting the bikini fairing black or some other color. I don't know the first thing about painting fairings though. Feel free to post up a "How to" for me

Oh and I have to peel off all the warning stickers. I peeled off the big S on the bikini fairing today.
I like the idea of painting that fairing black.
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:05 PM   #19
ontwo
Designated Drinker

Moto: 2009 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_129 View Post
Best money you can spend on and SV is RaceTech cartridge emulators for the front forks (springs also, ideally, but the stock one's are prolly OK for your weight) & a GSXR shock (ebay). Cosmetic stuff & a pipe won't keep it from bouncing around like a pogo-stick under braking/acceleration/cornering - which stock SV's do badly.
I agree. But the zx10 shock is a better fit with the 90 degree resevoir. I also went with the Sonic Springs without emulators (read good about both, so flip a coin)

Quote:
I had the motosliders before and I like them but never had to test them though. I went with T-rex sliders, because they were cheaper. Only $34! It has the frame bolt too and made of the same material. I am not sure if they are as long as the motosliders though but they were half the price!
I went with Shogun. Same mounting points, too.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:19 PM   #20
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
I tried colorite on the car once and I did a horrible splotchy job.

Nice ride. I wouldn't bother doing much to it, except for that shock you were talking about.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote