Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Riding Gear

Old 12-30-2008, 07:57 PM   #1
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Moto: 2008 Black/Grey Hayabusa
Default Wiki Helmets

Okay.

I guess it's about damn time I wrote up a good-n-proper review of the Wiki Wave 100.

I have the black one. If it wasn't for the flowers on the other (c'mon, man design, please?) I'd be totally rocking it... I love plumerias and other tropical flowers, but c'mon, this is not something I want to wear to work on Hawaiian Shirt Fridays....

But less I digest..... First off, what sold me on this helmet was the fact that it has a photochromatic shield....

"WTF Ambly, why do you use such big words?"

"Well it's simple my douche-nozzle, I do simply because I can."

Photochromatics / Photochromic.... capable of changing color on exposure to radiant energy (as light). Think of those nice nifty transition lenses, and you'll get the picture. This resolves the issue of having to carry around your eye-sight saving tinted shield during the day and a clear/yellow shield for night time riding.

Overall build quality - I'd have to give this one an A. The helmet isn't too heavy so it doesn't feel like a brick on your head. Vents open/close quite firmly. Foam does'nt break down too fast (btw, real f'king tight the first while you wear it to break it in, almost like one size too small tight)... Finish is nice and solid. Slight issue w/ the first shield though, which I'll bring up in a moment.

Sound - B- Okay, so it's my own fault I ride a Hayabusa... I guess they're not used to this thing having wind wrap around it at 150MPH+ so there's a lil' more wind nose than I had w/ my old Shoei... but granted, I didn't pay Shoei prices for this little treasure, either. Engine noise.... well, yeah you can still hear it, but that's what earphones/earplugs are for, right?

Comfort - A fits real well... foam padding is good and stays so for a while. Hell they even give you *extra* foam in the package to help adjust your fit

The shield.... A+ Definately A+ There's got to be something said about having a photochromatic ability that's not applied thru a stickie. This damn thing works.... I head out to the bike at the end of my work day... by the time I get to my bike it's mostly already shift, by the time I have the bike started, helmet on, gloves on, it's done and I'm ready to ride. Okay, first off, I did have a small problem with my first shield.... After a couple of months, it didnt' seem to "shift" anymore and just had this yellow tint to it.... Not quite right, expecially after just a couple of months.... So, onto my next bullet..

Here's a nifty as hell chart on some of the shifting properties and a comparison of the Wiki Shift shield and one of the tape photocromatic stickies (i think that's right).

Customer Service - If there was something higher than A+, the company would get it... They're pretty quick with emails and typically got back to me within 12 hours, though I did have to wait a day and a half once... However their staff is more than friendly and definately bring the Aloha spirit (god I miss the tropics) to customer service.... I wrote them and explained what was happening with the shield. They said they hadn't heard really of anything like that before (and well they might not have) but they immediately shipped me out a replacement medium smoke lense (dark smoke was on backorder). No questions asked, no issue w/ return shipment, whatever... Oh, guess what showed up today. My replacement dark smoke lense. Those guys and gals are on the ball and definately know that keeping a customer happy and doing the right thing (rather than some of the horror stories I've heard) is the way a business needs to be ran. TY Guys @ Wiki for the service.

So, overall:

Would I buy another/again? Definately
Would I recommend this product? Definately
Can you go wrong with a hot polynesian chick as your mascot? Definately NOT!

Price - Solid black $200.00
Purchased in Jan/Feb 2008
http://www.wikidesigns.com

It's definately a hell of a lot better deal than Tatter's ex wife....
Lamnidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:14 PM   #2
Dnyce
flyin high

Moto: 10speed huffy w/cards in the spokes

are they snell rated yet? i remember when they first came out(mainly for the shield) -wanted one, but no snell. no snell, i cant use.

i even liked the hawaiian tropical graphics lol
Dnyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:18 PM   #3
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

They need a new model... That bitch is fuckin' old and sick.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:24 PM   #4
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
you'd still put her in a hole, shush
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:15 AM   #5
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Moto: 2008 Black/Grey Hayabusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnyce View Post
are they snell rated yet? i remember when they first came out(mainly for the shield) -wanted one, but no snell. no snell, i cant use.

i even liked the hawaiian tropical graphics lol
Why if no Snell you can't use?

They're DOT and ECE....

I've read over and over the differences between the ECE and Snell tests.... Here, read up a lil' yourself. I dig the ECE rules for testing, Snell testing IMHO doesn't quite make sense.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...iew/index.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
This better OSP?
Lamnidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:14 AM   #6
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

mine!
TWF Post whore #6
Old 12-31-2008, 09:16 AM   #7
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

SURPRISE!!! I considered WiKi last year for the photochromatic lens but went with the Akuma instead. Besides,the helmets are basically KBC helmets and I don't like KBC's fit. Also,WiKi doesn't even pretend to manufacture lids,they are using the sale of the helmets to promote their shield. In fact,as I understand it,the SHIELD costs well over $100 leaving the helmet in the under $100 range..... I definitely want a color change shield but the problem has always been longevity. They just don't last! No one can seem to manufacture one that'll last more than a year or so.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:17 AM   #8
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
SURPRISE!!! I considered WiKi last year for the photochromatic lens but went with the Akuma instead. Besides,the helmets are basically KBC helmets and I don't like KBC's fit. Also,WiKi doesn't even pretend to manufacture lids,they are using the sale of the helmets to promote their shield. In fact,as I understand it,the SHIELD costs well over $100 leaving the helmet in the under $100 range..... I definitely want a color change shield but the problem has always been longevity. They just don't last! No one can seem to manufacture one that'll last more than a year or so.
i kinda surprised you didnt get one anyway since we all know you are a lid whore
TWF Post whore #6
Old 12-31-2008, 09:18 AM   #9
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

snell sucks ass...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:30 AM   #10
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Great review Thanks Ambly! I love the photochromatic idea. I wish someone would perfect the product. But even at that for street or touring it is real cool. I am looking at the Wiki or one of the other brands that offers teh drop down smoke lenses inside the clear sheild...

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote