Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Beginner's End

Old 04-21-2008, 09:55 PM   #1
comonboys
Ridin Naked. HMMMMM......

Moto: 650 SV
Default New to maintance

Well, as most of you prob have got to hear here. Cutty is gone for two weeks and i am learning to take care of my bike myself.
So I checked my oil tonight cause I had to add some before my ride saturday. Well, long story short, I didn't put enough in when I did the oil change. SO I added more tonight. The thing is. I accidently added to much. It's just slightly above the full line. Is this ok? Or do I need to reduce it somehow.. If I do need to reduce it how do I do this?
comonboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:09 PM   #2
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

how are you checking? the bike on side stand, rear stand... holding it vertical?

my bike reads over full when on the rear stand... when vertical it's perfect.

if it's over full crack the nut and drain some... it's messy but easy. espeically since yours is a naked bike...

not sure what damage could happen if you run it slightly over full
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:12 PM   #3
comonboys

I am checking by pulling it up. Cutty reversed the stands to fit his bike I guess.... I am a little scared to drop the nut though if I let some out....
Old 04-21-2008, 10:12 PM   #4
6doublefive321
Resident Droog

Moto: 625 SMC, '08 Tuono R

It depends on "a little". In my opinion, too much oil is more damaging than being a little low. Having too much oil can cause foaming, which in turn causes all the good things in the engine to be starved of oil, which leads to a scrap heap. I'm not familiar with the internals of an SV, so I don't know how much room for error there is. Unless someone can tell you with 100% certainty how much room for error there is in an SV, the wise move is to drain the oil out and top it back off. If the oil is fresh, you can drain it and put it right back in (using the correct amount, of course).
Old 04-21-2008, 10:17 PM   #5
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6doublefive321 View Post
It depends on "a little". In my opinion, too much oil is more damaging than being a little low. Having too much oil can cause foaming, which in turn causes all the good things in the engine to be starved of oil, which leads to a scrap heap. I'm not familiar with the internals of an SV, so I don't know how much room for error there is. Unless someone can tell you with 100% certainty how much room for error there is in an SV, the wise move is to drain the oil out and top it back off. If the oil is fresh, you can drain it and put it right back in (using the correct amount, of course).
yup.... even better idea!

drain the oil into a clean container!!!... then pour the correct amount back in... use the rest to dump on those damn cats
Old 04-21-2008, 10:21 PM   #6
comonboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
yup.... even better idea!

drain the oil into a clean container!!!... then pour the correct amount back in... use the rest to dump on those damn cats
note to ebbs: the cats will hurt you when you come out here.... They are enjoying greatly having ryan gone. There's no one to torment them.....

OK, so I can drain a little out with unscrewing the nut. Will that work or do I have to drain it all. Cause I don't have a clean tub to drain it into..
plus i have to ride that tomorrow since my cage brakes are going to shit.....
Damn men and not listening to the women when they say something is wrong with my car.....
So quick fix would be great since I don't have alot of knowledge.....
Thanks guys.. Greatly appreciated.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:24 PM   #7
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

well easiest way and cleanest way... would be to drain it all out... so I'd recomend either buying a new tub... OR... spraying the one you have out with a hose... or if your as anal as I am... thow it in the dishwasher.

while you have the hose out.... spray the cats... they're evil
Old 04-21-2008, 10:29 PM   #8
comonboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
well easiest way and cleanest way... would be to drain it all out... so I'd recomend either buying a new tub... OR... spraying the one you have out with a hose... or if your as anal as I am... thow it in the dishwasher.

while you have the hose out.... spray the cats... they're evil
You are evil.....

But you didn't answer my question ass... I was just wondering if I can.... I need to have this done tonight cause I work at 8 by myself so I won't be able to get to the shop til after 5. Is it something that I can drop a little quick..... Plus I have NO idea where cutty put out drop pan.....
Old 04-21-2008, 10:30 PM   #9
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

get a straw and suck that shit outa there wif yo mouf...

Nah but for serious, just carefully unscrew the drain plug after you warm the bike up for a few mins.

if you're really worried about it, just forget about it until you can do it properly tomorrow night. dont risk not having a ride to work unless youre comfy w/ the job.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:31 PM   #10
comonboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
get a straw and suck that shit outa there wif yo mouf...

Ummm, no thanks....

Nah but for serious, just carefully unscrew the drain plug after you warm the bike up for a few mins.
And thank you for that answer.... I will try my best. Last time I tried draining the oil the bolt dropped in the bucket right away....