Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track

Old 02-01-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage
Default Tire Knowlege Needed

So I was just at the Cleveland International Motorcycle show this past weekend, and ran into the guys that run the "Moto Series" that I've been thinking about getting into. We talked for a good while and told the guy that me and my buddy were intersted in getting into the racing school they offer, so we could get our competition lisence. We signed up for the April school which got me thinking... oh shit, what am I going to do about a ride?

I think I'm pretty sure I'm not going to race the baby Viff, just based on how old she is. People keep telling me that bikes like that get raced in the vintage series all the time, and that they do just fine. The problem is I dont have the cash to just up and buy a track bike yet. So I figure I will use the viff to do the track school and make a decision from there on what im going to do. Hopefully I can save up a little cash by then and can jump on a nice race prepped sv or something. The problem with the viff is tires, they are small. Like 110/90H-18 rear small.... It will definitely need new tires before the riding season starts anyway. So I might as well begin to plan what I would like to put on it for spring/track school. Sport Rider ran a section about tires in the June issue and gave a listing of tires that will fit. What do you think is the best option??? Does anybody have experience with these.

-Battleaxe BT45s - H Rated
-Avon Roadrider - V-rated The Avons are also available in slightly wider versions for both front and rear
-Continental TKV Ultra - H Rated
-Pirelli Sport Demon - H Rated

*EDIT* - and if a wider tire is available that would fit like the Avon note says, what is a better tire size for a track day???? Tire size noob here.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Doubtful the ole viffer can generate the top speed to take advantage of a V rated Avon rubber but its wider profile will slow handling anyways. Battleaxe BT's are good but ancient rubber tech, I have burned my share, IMHO tho, go withe the Pirelli. It is a much newer design tire.

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
Doubtful the ole viffer can generate the top speed to take advantage of a V rated Avon rubber but its wider profile will slow handling anyways. Battleaxe BT's are good but ancient rubber tech, I have burned my share, IMHO tho, go withe the Pirelli. It is a much newer design tire.
Thats what im thinking. Just by reading reviews online, I will be staying away from the BTs and Conti's.

I really like the other two. I figured I would never reach the speed for the V rating, but it might not be bad to have the extra speed rating in the bag.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Old 02-01-2011, 05:40 PM   #4
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Really all those tires are good, I have been using battlaxes for a while and like them, but mainly because of their life span and price, haven't used the pirrellis, but everyone who has swears by them.

Any way, a modern sport tire designed and built in the lsat 5 years will beat almost anything in the 5 years before that, and will look like race rubber to anything built in the 90s
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
Really all those tires are good, I have been using battlaxes for a while and like them, but mainly because of their life span and price, haven't used the pirrellis, but everyone who has swears by them.

Any way, a modern sport tire designed and built in the lsat 5 years will beat almost anything in the 5 years before that, and will look like race rubber to anything built in the 90s
For sure.

vs

1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Old 02-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #6
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
People keep telling me that bikes like that get raced in the vintage series all the time, and that they do just fine.
And they do. I've seen far less worthy machines on the track. You're not going to set any records, (well, speed records anyway...) but that's not the point of roadracing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
The problem with the viff is tires, they are small. Like 110/90H-18 rear small....

...and if a wider tire is available that would fit like the Avon note says, what is a better tire size for a track day???? Tire size noob here.
Fatter does not always equal faster. You can, in fact, go backwards. Depending on the profile of the tire, and the stiffness of the carcass, stuffing a fatty on your skinny-ass rim, can result in a smaller contact patch.

These are not the droids you are looking for.

You'll be better served with tires that fit the rims, and paying very close attention to the pressures you run, and under which conditions you run them. In other words, buy a little fucking note book, and write that shit down.

That said, there may be a slightly over-sized tire out there that will give you more grip. Then again, more grip comes with slower transitions. So......

Find out who the fast guy is, and run what he's running. But wait, you ain't him. Shit. Those tires may not work for you. Now you are seriously fucked. Your tires are too big, bike handles like a wheelbarrow, and girls won't go out with you.

JC
Old 02-01-2011, 07:21 PM   #7
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
And they do. I've seen far less worthy machines on the track. You're not going to set any records, (well, speed records anyway...) but that's not the point of roadracing.

Fatter does not always equal faster. You can, in fact, go backwards. Depending on the profile of the tire, and the stiffness of the carcass, stuffing a fatty on your skinny-ass rim, can result in a smaller contact patch.

These are not the droids you are looking for.

You'll be better served with tires that fit the rims, and paying very close attention to the pressures you run, and under which conditions you run them. In other words, buy a little fucking note book, and write that shit down.

That said, there may be a slightly over-sized tire out there that will give you more grip. Then again, more grip comes with slower transitions. So......

Find out who the fast guy is, and run what he's running. But wait, you ain't him. Shit. Those tires may not work for you. Now you are seriously fucked. Your tires are too big, bike handles like a wheelbarrow, and girls won't go out with you.

JC
Girls dont go out with me anyway...

But yes, the consensus on both this forum and vfrworld seems to be stick with the tire made for the rim. Looks like ill be digging a little deeper on the Pirelli and Avon 110/90H-18's.....
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Old 02-01-2011, 07:41 PM   #8
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

I have nothing to add about the tires but I like my BTs.

On another note, if you don't want to pony up money for a track bike try hooking up with someone and do the 3 hour endurance race where you'd share a bike and the cost.

Doing the sprint races will put you in the hole quickly, even with a little series like this.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:43 PM   #9
Hydrant
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 2003 Suzuki TL1000R, 2002 Honda CBR 600 F4i

Sidebar.

Porkchop

Where do they call their home track? Thinking about getting into some schools this spring/ summer if work isn't too crazy. I'd probably take the CBR though.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:47 PM   #10
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrant View Post
Sidebar.

Porkchop

Where do they call their home track? Thinking about getting into some schools this spring/ summer if work isn't too crazy. I'd probably take the CBR though.
Sorry, I'm not PC. But I believe Moto Series is the old Fasttraxx. So Nelson Ledges in Garrettsville would be the "home" track.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote