Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 10-18-2010, 08:38 AM   #1
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n
Default A sad state of affairs; officer being sentenced

This must be a real kick in the balls for members of our military at Canadian Forces Base Trenton. Trenton isn't far from the track where I shoot and was the base where members of my Air Cadet flight went for for training, when I was a kid. It's also the base where our dead, from Afghanistan, are 'repatriated.' Williams was the commander of CFB Trenton.

Col. Russell Williams in court, guilty plea expected

Col. Russell Williams has arrived at an Ontario courtroom, where he is expected to plead guilty to 88 charges, including two counts of first-degree murder.

Williams arrived at the Ontario Superior Court in Belleville via armoured van at about 7:45 a.m. ET Monday and was whisked immediately into the courthouse surrounded by police officers.

The former commander of the Canadian Forces Bases Trenton is also expected to plead guilty to two counts each of sexual assault and unlawful confinement, as well as 61 of breaking and entering; 11 of attempted breaking and entering; and 10 of breaking and entering with intent to commit an indictable offence.

By 6:30 a.m. ET, more than a dozen reporters were lined up at the courthouse, waiting for Williams to arrive from his cell at the Napanee Detainee Centre.

The proceedings could run for five days, including sentencing. The Crown is expected to enter into evidence reams of photographs, videos and notes documenting Williams's alleged crimes.

CBCNews.ca will feature live coverage from the courthouse beginning at 9 a.m. ET.

Williams is facing an automatic sentence of life in prison with no possibility of parole for 25 years in connection with the killings of two women: 27-year-old Jessica Lloyd and Cpl. Marie-France Comeau, 38.

Comeau, a military flight attendant, was found dead at her home in Brighton last November. Williams is charged with killing Lloyd in January. Her brother Andy Lloyd told CBC News that Williams "took her from her place to his place," and later dumped her body in Tweed, where he had a house.

Police arrested Williams on Feb. 7 and charged him with the murders of Lloyd and Comeau, as well for the sexual assault and forcible confinement of two other women. The remaining 82 charges, said to have occurred in Ottawa, Belleville, and Tweed, came on April 29.

On Oct. 7, Williams's lawyer, Michael Edelson, told the court his client intended to plead guilty to all charges.

A Toronto lawyer has described Williams as having a double life, "almost a Jekyll and Hyde type of case."

"It's the deepest, darkest fear that each and every one of us has about the neighbour down the street, or the teacher at school, or the seemingly normal business professional walking down the street," said Adam Boni.

Boni described the allegations against Williams as "lurid," as many relate to break and enters in which lingerie and sex toys were stolen.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:47 AM   #2
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

honestly I don't see why it would be a kick in the balls to your military. it is like any other community it has bad apples. getting them weeded out and sent away is a good thing. if they tried to protect him from punishment it would be a black eye on them.
sounds like he is getting what he deserves.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:53 AM   #3
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

It's a black eye because someone like this could rise to a position of command and was well regarded. When something like this happens in a community, of whatever sort, you can't help but feel some shame. It doesn't matter if it's deserved, or not.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:35 AM   #4
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
It's a black eye because someone like this could rise to a position of command and was well regarded. When something like this happens in a community, of whatever sort, you can't help but feel some shame. It doesn't matter if it's deserved, or not.
Someone who hides this all their life (maybe even from themselves) can probably rise to just about any position. There's no real system to prevent it other than making sure that punnishment happens so others can see ad don't do the same.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:02 AM   #5
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post

It might be a black eye and a sore spot for Trenton for some time. And while everybody I know is following the case, it's more of a curiosity that somebody of such high rank managed to do this for years, than an embarassment or a sense of shame..

I see what you're saying, but outside of the job, we're just people. And bad people manage to get through the cracks. Nobody that I know has taken it personally..
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:14 AM   #6
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
It might be a black eye and a sore spot for Trenton for some time. And while everybody I know is following the case, it's more of a curiosity that somebody of such high rank managed to do this for years, than an embarassment or a sense of shame..

I see what you're saying, but outside of the job, we're just people. And bad people manage to get through the cracks. Nobody that I know has taken it personally..
I don't know if you've ever been to Trenton but it's definitely a military town, with a great deal of pride in our Forces. Let's just say that this was a bit of a shock to everyone.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:30 AM   #7
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

He's a murdering lowlife plain and simple. I don't care if he is the fucking president. Rot in jail for all I care.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:03 AM   #8
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Done deal. He plead guilty to everything. The sentence, in a couple of days, should be life, with no possibility of parole for 25 years.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:37 PM   #9
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

What a twisted individual...he needs to be put away forever.

I always knew you Canadians were kinda....rofl. j/k
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:56 PM   #10
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
What a twisted individual...he needs to be put away forever.

I always knew you Canadians were kinda....rofl. j/k
I'm beginning to think that we've got a higher percentage of serial killers than you guys do. Must have something to do with the 9 months out of the year, that we spend in our igloos.